DS door contact switch wiring
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: DS door contact switch wiring

Default DS door contact switch wiring

Hello All,
    I've had a rather catastrophic failure of the switch that interrupts the current for the interior light when the door is closed. I've purchased a new switch, but I can't get to the wiring to plug it in from that tiny hole in the lower A pillar. I've looked behind from in the interior, from above where the bonnet hinge is etc, but I can't find where I can get my fingers in here to fix it. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
    Bryce

Advertisement
    --
    1954 Light 15
    1970 DS21 BVH
    http://www.classicjalopy.com

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brycedunn View Post
    Hello All,
    I've had a rather catastrophic failure of the switch that interrupts the current for the interior light when the door is closed. I've purchased a new switch, but I can't get to the wiring to plug it in from that tiny hole in the lower A pillar. I've looked behind from in the interior, from above where the bonnet hinge is etc, but I can't find where I can get my fingers in here to fix it. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
    Bryce
    Hi Bryce:

Disconnect the battery, then use a small hook, like a dental tool and try to fish the wire out that way. The shaft will need to be fairly long. Maybe fashion one out of bailing wire or a coat hanger.

The only way you are going to get your fingers in there is to pull the dash and the air box. There is a hole on the inside sheetmetal, right at the shelf for the dash, behind and below the air box. The wire snakes through the pillar to the switch.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Thanks Hotrodelectric,
    I had hoped there was an easier inspection panel, but since there isn't, I will just have to keep trying to fish them out.
    Bryce
    --
    1954 Light 15
    1970 DS21 BVH

It can be done! Sometimes you can find the cabin side of the wire and jiggle it enough to give you a visual through that 12mm hole where the switch goes.

Doing the Daffyduck dance via the AussieFrogs app. With a cane! gimp quack quack ow ow ow.

how about a flexi magnetic parts pick up tool? that might do it with incessant wriggling?

they're VERY useful little tools and cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    Hi Bryce:

Disconnect the battery, then use a small hook, like a dental tool and try to fish the wire out that way. The shaft will need to be fairly long. Maybe fashion one out of bailing wire or a coat hanger.

The only way you are going to get your fingers in there is to pull the dash and the air box. There is a hole on the inside sheetmetal, right at the shelf for the dash, behind and below the air box. The wire snakes through the pillar to the switch.
    I think most of us have been caught out allowing the wires to drop back into that hole. My technique has been to use two pieces of wire, one with a right angle bend about 25mm from the end and the other a U shaped hook. Insert the right angle wire into the hole and fish around (the good news is the two wires are usually joined if you pick up one you have the other at the same time) once hooked the U shaped wire can be inserted to draw the wires out.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Thanks for all the replies.
    With a dentists pick and a set of small tweezers from the cosmetic section of the local supermarket, wires are located and installed on the new switch!
    20140914_115130 by Bryce Dunn, on Flickr
    --
    1954 Light 15
    1970 DS21 BVH

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Yay! Like a lot of work on a D- fiddly, but not difficult.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Also replaced my cracked shift surround..
    --
    1954 Light 15
    1970 DS21 BVH

Thread Information