Xantia Key
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Xantia Key

Fellow Frogger! Inspector Clouseau's Avatar

Default Xantia Key

I can't believe I'm buying another Citroen. The 2000 Xantia in question has 1 only key. I'm pretty sure the card with the code details that originally came with the car is long gone. Can anyone advise what's involved with getting a second key programmed?

Advertisement

Any guidance much appreciated, thanks.

Beg the secure code from a dealer or buy it online from Citroencodes. The latter can probably provide the key cutting code as well.

Have a compatible key blank cut, find a malleable person with a Lexia and program it in.

I strongly recommend buying a remote fob and cutting the pivot stub type of key. PSA locks and keys don't wear well and this helps preserve them.

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Beg the secure code from a dealer or buy it online from Citroencodes. The latter can probably provide the key cutting code as well.

Have a compatible key blank cut, find a malleable person with a Lexia and program it in.

I strongly recommend buying a remote fob and cutting the pivot stub type of key. PSA locks and keys don't wear well and this helps preserve them.
    It always amazes me that people can sleep at night if they don't have even a single spare car key. We run a minimum of one spare, kept in an extremely secure place. Our Xantia has what you suggest - a remote fob.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

I've got one car with a single key only - the other two having been lost by Toowoomba Classic Autos (hey, they "lost" the logbooks, too - awfully convenient as it made the car look 60K younger). I've retained a photograph of the key teeth and have the mechanical code on file. It's an odd shaped key and I think in the end the blanks will need billeting either from brass or titanium.

I think it's important to note, too, how marginal someone's funds may be; add a little disorganisation and the key issue remains either overlooked or unaffordable at each turn...

JBN

I have a Xantia with two keys. The drivers lock is the only one that works as I swapped the passengers one to that side, the original drivers lock had worn out. The central locking is stuffed, neither working from the key nor the remote.

We just leave the car unlocked. Very convenient. The CITROEN signs scare away would be thieves.

John

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    I have a Xantia with two keys. The drivers lock is the only one that works as I swapped the passengers one to that side, the original drivers lock had worn out. The central locking is stuffed, neither working from the key nor the remote.

We just leave the car unlocked. Very convenient. The CITROEN signs scare away would be thieves.

John
    Very droll.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Very droll.
    You laugh in vain. My XM didn't lock for 7 years. So I got in the habit of never leaving anything in it that I couldn't afford to lose. Only ever lost a torch. Hell, no-one even bothered to siphon the tank.
    DS23 Pallas BVM Vert Argente - in ground up restoration, soon to be BVH.
    DSpecial 4speed Beige Vanneau, previous ; XM 2.0, maroon, my first.
    And a variety of the usual crapboxes before seeing the light. Except my Mini Cooper with the 3.4 cam and twin webers - that wasn't a POS.

Bikes -
    Ducati GTS860, CB350, XT550, Z500, T250, XR200, ag90.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    You laugh in vain. My XM didn't lock for 7 years. So I got in the habit of never leaving anything in it that I couldn't afford to lose. Only ever lost a torch. Hell, no-one even bothered to siphon the tank.
    I agree actually. Not often I lock mine. But at night parked in town in a car park, I do like to lock the doors. And then my wife, joint owner in reality, does like it locked...
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Thanks for the replies. Looks like getting a key working will be a minor saga. I take John's point about the Citroen badge being the best theft deterrent. I guess that's a fringe benefit to the suggestion, on another AF thread, that bogans hate 'em.

It's not a saga. Losing the only key is a saga.

JBN

I would have thought that the VIN number should result in the correct "formula" to reproduce another key(s) via the Citroen Dealer network. Have you enquired through your nearest Citroen dealer?

John

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    I would have thought that the VIN number should result in the correct "formula" to reproduce another key(s) via the Citroen Dealer network. Have you enquired through your nearest Citroen dealer?

John
    Apparently it can be done from the VIN. But an easier/cheaper option may be to get a locksmith (who has the capacity) to 'clone' another key from the existing one. I'll give that a go first.

Thread Information