DS - More Problems
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: DS - More Problems

Fellow Frogger!

Icon5 DS - More Problems

I still have a couple of problems with my DS.
    The first is that when I try to release the system pressure via the regulator bleed screw it does not seem to release the pressure in the front suspension system - i.e. the spheres can not be 'wiggled' until after some hours. Is that normal?
    So I have to jack up the car until the wheels are off the ground.
    I know that all the bump stops need renewing, but could that be the reason for this problem?

Advertisement

The other problem is that the tachometer works intermittently. Sometimes normally, sometimes not at all & sometimes with only a little movement. I have changed it to another S/H unit, with the same result.
    I'm assuming that there is a wiring connection problem somewhere.

Don
    Citroen DS21 Pallas 1970 Renault 16TS 1976 Renault 5TS 1981

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tresbon2 View Post
    I still have a couple of problems with my DS.
    The first is that when I try to release the system pressure via the regulator bleed screw it does not seem to release the pressure in the front suspension system - i.e. the spheres can not be 'wiggled' until after some hours. Is that normal?
    So I have to jack up the car until the wheels are off the ground.
    I know that all the bump stops need renewing, but could that be the reason for this problem?

The other problem is that the tachometer works intermittently. Sometimes normally, sometimes not at all & sometimes with only a little movement. I have changed it to another S/H unit, with the same result.
    I'm assuming that there is a wiring connection problem somewhere.

Don
    That's normal. Releasing the regulator bleed screw only exhaust the main accumulator and high pressure circuit. This is isolated from the suspension by the height correctors. You need to put the car on "low" to release the pressure from the suspension system. This only works if the car fully drops to the bumpstops on "low". Some may still have a small amount of pressure in the system if the height corrector valves don't fully exhaust the pressure. This doesn't often happen, but lifting the axle with a jack will fix that.

The tacho will be a loose wire on the coil itself no doubt.

seeya
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Pressure reg release releases the supply-side pressure only. In normal operation, the pressure held between the height corrector and the wheel cylinders will only dissipate quickly if you activate the height corrector (either by lowering the height control lever or raising the car on a jack as you have done).

Tacho can be affected by dodgy wiring on the top of the coil, but it could be elsewhere as well.....

does turning the steering back and forth with bleed screw open assist with taking pressure out also?

Shane was spot on, the spheres shouldn't be loose while the wheels are sitting on the ground. The rev counter having been replaced is definitely at the coil, most likely the connection/wire. A great result for ol' tres bon Citroen Adelaide!

Fellow Frogger

Some cylinders seem to be machined in a way that it is possible for the piston to cover the port at the extreme end of their travel, so it is possible that bad bump stops can contribute to the problem of being unable to undo the sphere. Lifting the car a fraction would release the pressure under the sphere and allow it to be removed easily.

I've always set the car to low and pressed the brake pedal a few times to be sure there is no pressure. Don't forget non-sinker Xantia and XM work a like differently and just releasing the bleed screw will isolate the suspension.

Fellow Frogger!

"So I have to jack up the car until the wheels are off the ground. "
    Regards jacking ; make sure the car is in the high suspension position if using a trolley jack. I recall going to a tyre place where a trolley jack was used while the car was at normal suspension height. When lowering the car after fitting a tyre, the car rested on the jack as height had dropped leaving not enough clearance to roll it out.

UFO

Usually if you find the front struts still pressurised you only need to jack one side of the vehicle until a front wheel lifts off the ground and the pressure will subside.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for all the advice. My thoughts on expecting the suspension spheres pressure to be fully released by simply turning the regulator bleed screw probably relate to my ownership in the 60s of an ID19. It was a simpler system of course but my memory of those long-off days may well be faulty.

The tacho problem has not yet been resolved - I may have to dig deeper into the wiring system.

Don
    Citroen DS21 Pallas 1970 Renault 16TS 1976 Renault 5TS 1981

Thread Information