C4 door locking
  • Help
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: C4 door locking

Fellow Frogger!

Default C4 door locking

Hi all,
    sitting at the lights waiting, and I was thinking about this scenario.

My C4 has auto door locking, so after a few seconds of driving, the doors lock down and can't be opened from the outside.
    What about a scenario like this................
    you are reversing out of your driveway or a shopping centre carpark, and you have to get out of the car to remove the recycling bin or shopping trolley that's blocking your path.

Advertisement

So you jump out, leaving the engine running and keys in ignition and accidentally shut the door or a gust of wind shuts the door. Does this mean the auto door locks will kick and shut you out of the car?

So effectively you've got a locked vehicle, engine running, and your keys still in the ignition, (and most likely your vehicle in a bad place blocking other traffic too!). Assume there are no passengers.

Any thoughts, am I correct in this logic?.

thanks,
    Glenn

1000+ Posts

The C5 disengages when you open the door to move the bin, and doesn't re-engage until you are back and moving again. I think the C4 is the same. You have to be moving.

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    The C5 disengages when you open the door to move the bin, and doesn't re-engage until you are back and moving again. I think the C4 is the same. You have to be moving.
    Exactly.

You should be able to hear the "clunk" as the speed nears 10km/h.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

There are some adjustments you can make with Lexia, IIRC. You can also turn it right off.

UFO

You can also disable it through the car's menu, although these days in Sydney, better left activated. Too easy for some tea-leaf to reach into your car when you least ecpect it.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

1000+ Posts

Default Bloody paranoia !!

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    You can also disable it through the car's menu, although these days in Sydney, better left activated. Too easy for some tea-leaf to reach into your car when you least expect it.
    Hi
    Well what paranoia. The facts do not support this. Perhaps Sydney and other hot beds of vice and depravity are crap places to live for some but really city living rots the mind perhaps

GET A LIFE and live free. Disable the auto door locking and drive with the windows down as well. While you are at it don't lock the car while paying for fuel also
    Jaahn
    Last edited by jaahn; 7th September 2014 at 10:55 AM.

1000+ Posts

Great advice Jaahn.
    Go try it in Moree or Wilcannia.
    You'll do a lot of walking!!
    (Did the manifold fit?)

(BTW, my Isuzu Ute does a similar trick, always when I'm about to open the door. It's a bloody nuisance)

Everything since the Xantia and Xsara II has had a locking button on the dash. It's not hard to press if you have reason for concern.

don

Jaahn great advice and all true about the hunter in general is a cheaper cleaner and safer alternative to some big metro areas.
    Ive driven through A close by Major Metro in our panorama roof C4 and felt like a sitting duck waiting to be picked off especially on Pi"" street.
    Iv also been through Moree enough times to know that ripe for the pickings stare.

The only thing I dislike about the auto relock on the C4 is I just cant seem top press the button on the remote and then get outside and load my gear before the car relocks (click relocked left standing in the rain didn't bring the key) AHHHH

1000+ Posts

Pi"" St Sydney shouldn't worry you. Pi"" St Waterloo may be different. Anyway, Newcastle is a big city too, and I'd appreciate an armoured car rather than a C4 in a place not far from where the Hunter and Williams Rivers come together.

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi
    Well what paranoia. The facts do not support this. Perhaps Sydney and other hot beds of vice and depravity are crap places to live for some but really city living rots the mind perhaps

GET A LIFE and live free. Disable the auto door locking and drive with the windows down as well. While you are at it don't lock the car while paying for fuel also
    Jaahn
    OK, I'll tell our friend who was stopped at traffic lights with her two young daughters in the car when a thief walked up to the left side of the car, opened the door a nicked off with her handbag and mobile that she must have imagined it.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Thread Information