Looking for a 71 or earlier D Chassis
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Leconte

Thread: Looking for a 71 or earlier D Chassis

Default Looking for a 71 or earlier D Chassis

I'm looking for a decent push button door handle chassis to replace the chassis in my father's 69 ID20.

Advertisement

It's just too bad to save - was a Sunshine Coast car and having had another look at it on the weekend it's completely had it. I'd like to save the car one day...

I'm not looking for something totally perfect - but it needs to be good, that is the floors and structure needs to be sound.

Just send me a PM if you can help.

Many thanks in advance,

Mark...
    Last edited by ds21bvh; 26th August 2014 at 03:02 PM.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Dumb question, Mark- Why pre-'71? Is there a quirk in the post '71 chassis that makes it unsuitable? I thought everything post '67 in terms of sheetmetal would be essentially identical.

Pro tip- the wiring to the rear will not be the same. 68, 69, 70-71, 72 are all different. Because Citroen.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    Dumb question, Mark- Why pre-'71? Is there a quirk in the post '71 chassis that makes it unsuitable? I thought everything post '67 in terms of sheetmetal would be essentially identical.

Pro tip- the wiring to the rear will not be the same. 68, 69, 70-71, 72 are all different. Because Citroen.
    Thanks for the tip... Pre 67 may be OK as well, if the front forks and the later short stroke running gear will fit.

The front cross members and door pillars are the main differences, to be honest I would be happy with an exceptional later chassis if I could find one as I could change these things. I have a later chassis here, but it just needs too much extra work to be viable.

Another ID20 as a donor (or as a base for restoration) would be perfect, but they are not too thick on the ground...

Cheers,

Mark...

Why does nobody make a third front "frame" as per the factory build method? You'd think the market is there now, both in price tolerance and level of demand.

Quote Originally Posted by ds21bvh View Post
    Thanks for the tip... Pre 67 may be OK as well, if the front forks and the later short stroke running gear will fit.

The front cross members and door pillars are the main differences, to be honest I would be happy with an exceptional later chassis if I could find one as I could change these things. I have a later chassis here, but it just needs too much extra work to be viable.

Another ID20 as a donor (or as a base for restoration) would be perfect, but they are not too thick on the ground...

Cheers,

Mark...
    I don't think the pre-'67 chassis will be the thing. As I remember it, the firewall is pretty different. The frame longerons might be similar, but remember you're going from long stroke/3 main bearing/single lug to to short stroke/5 main bearing/5 lug. I have to guess there are some differences in the front frame.

It doesn't need to be an ID20. By the time your dad's car was built, the differences were all in the trim and appointments. Well, that and engine/trans combo. The point is everybody got essentially the same car body-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Why does nobody make a third front "frame" as per the factory build method? You'd think the market is there now, both in price tolerance and level of demand.
    Yah, some enterprising Eastern European company with lower costs could do that. The problem is tooling. There are a couple companies here in the US that market complete, all steel repops of '57 Chevy and '67 Mustang bodies. The only really difficult part in our case would be the firewall and the front longerons. Everything else is pretty simple sheet metal.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Half the American repop iron you talk about is Canadian pressed now; they might be up for a bit of Froggery. I think a mate of Steph's landlord used one of the fully built Dynacorn Camaro bodies and sang tales of woe in the fit/finish.

But honestly, if a good restored Pallas is now a $50K+ proposition, a $12K spot-on virginal front clip made with zinc coated steel would have some appeal. You'd even get to choose what tools and fasteners you dropped into the inaccessible areas.

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Half the American repop iron you talk about is Canadian pressed now; they might be up for a bit of Froggery. I think a mate of Steph's landlord used one of the fully built Dynacorn Camaro bodies and sang tales of woe in the fit/finish.

But honestly, if a good restored Pallas is now a $50K+ proposition, a $12K spot-on virginal front clip made with zinc coated steel would have some appeal. You'd even get to choose what tools and fasteners you dropped into the inaccessible areas.
    I had heard nothing but good about Dynacorn, then again your experience is a lot closer to the truth than mine is. I've never played with one. I do have a friend who built a '68 Camaro for a customer with the entire front clip (bumper, inner fenders, everything) in aluminum. Who he got it from, I don't know.

I have zero doubt that virgin is good. The thought of having a list you can choose from for bits and bobs dropped into never-never land is appealing- a sort of pre-disaster.

I'm actually surprised the European parts houses haven't twigged onto this yet. Huge market, easily exploited.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    I don't think the pre-'67 chassis will be the thing. As I remember it, the firewall is pretty different. The frame longerons might be similar, but remember you're going from long stroke/3 main bearing/single lug to to short stroke/5 main bearing/5 lug. I have to guess there are some differences in the front frame.

It doesn't need to be an ID20. By the time your dad's car was built, the differences were all in the trim and appointments. Well, that and engine/trans combo. The point is everybody got essentially the same car body-wise.
    Many thanks for the heads up - then it must be a 68 or later I'm guessing. I'd like to make a job of it and for it to be reasonably close to what it was.

Understand I don't need an ID20 (or 19B) donor - that would just be easier... My Dad's car is very rough, it's partially in parts, and the wiring is just a complete mess. It would not be a restoration it would mostly be remanufacturing - it's not just the chassis that is buggered.

If a decent 69 ID20 could be found then I'd be happy with that - then my Dad's car would be the donor for any spares. It would be nice to return his car to it's former glory, but 80% has to be replaced... so it's not really the same car anyway...

The reality is that the most common chassis will be from a later car (post 71) so I have to consider one if it comes up - but having the "correct" chassis to start with would be more desirable...

Cheers,

Mark...

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Mark,

Good looking 1974 D going cheap in NSW on Gumtree today. Need to move fast I'd say. Look for 1974 D Citroen. In Warrah Creek (Liverpool plains). Supposed to be rust free (hah! Are any of them???) and in a shed since 1990. Looks a bargain.
    Cheers leconte

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    addo likes this.
    1962 Heidelberg ID19 "Axel"
    1965 Heidelberg ID19
    half owner 1974 GS 1220 Convertisseur Break

What a bargain. I expect this to be in the possession of one of the usual Sydneians by the weekend.

Thread Information