Quai de Javel - Usine Videos
  • Help
Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Quai de Javel - Usine Videos

  1. #1
    Administrator GreenBlood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    8,257

    Icon12 Quai de Javel - Usine Videos

    Highly recommend the 34 minutes to watch the assembly of the Traction Avant through . . .



    . . .and as a contrast the C5





    Advertisement




    Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir



    "Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

    The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

    (Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

  2. #2
    1000+ Posts gerrypro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Camperdown 3260 Australia
    Posts
    3,166

    Default

    Thanks for posting these Chris! I particularly enjoyed the footage from 1934 manufacturing the first A series of traction. The differences between the structure of the early Cars and the later B series cars is most evident. The comparison of then and now is also marked by the absence of staff numbers and the presence of robotics in the manufacture of the C5 cars!
    Cheers Gerry

  3. #3
    Administrator GreenBlood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    8,257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    Thanks for posting these Chris! I particularly enjoyed the footage from 1934 manufacturing the first A series of traction. The differences between the structure of the early Cars and the later B series cars is most evident. The comparison of then and now is also marked by the absence of staff numbers and the presence of robotics in the manufacture of the C5 cars!
    Yes, love the old footage. It's great that it has been preserved and now shared.

    Workplace Health and Safety would have a field day with the old factory today
    The shot of the area where workers are under all those whirring belts, pulleys and cogs is alarming by todays standards.

    Yes the contrast as you say is in the lack of hands on workers in the modern factory, all those skills delegated to robots are now all but lost.

    Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir



    "Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

    The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

    (Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

  4. #4
    mnm
    mnm is offline
    Croak croak... mnm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,236

    Default

    I'd love to see one for the DS one day... I liked the grill and front fenders descending from the heavens... they were painting the door frames by hand at one point, with brushes?

    Matthew
    Last edited by mnm; 26th August 2014 at 03:48 PM.

  5. #5
    1000+ Posts forumnoreason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ici.
    Posts
    2,667

    Default

    Isn't that footage from 1948? Anyway fascinating doco, seeing those poor buggers flogging it out with the block and crank casting was amazing to watch, the level of industry throughout jaw dropping. Loved seeing them all bolt at dejeuner! Bloody amazing. Thanks for finding that and sharing Chris.

  6. #6
    Administrator GreenBlood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    8,257

    Icon11

    Quote Originally Posted by mnm View Post
    I'd love to see one for the DS one day... I liked the grill and front fenders descending from the heavens... they were painting the door frames by hand at one point, with brushes?

    Matthew
    This is the best I've found so far Matthew

    You'll note the big difference with the workers on the D is that they all have three arms and six fingers on each hand. . .



    Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir



    "Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

    The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

    (Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

  7. #7
    1000+ Posts gerrypro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Camperdown 3260 Australia
    Posts
    3,166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    Isn't that footage from 1948? .
    No way those cars are definitely 1934/5 7As
    Cheers Gerry

  8. #8
    1000+ Posts forumnoreason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ici.
    Posts
    2,667

    Default

    I just thought I heard him say quarante huit early on.

  9. #9
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    castlemaine
    Posts
    503

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    Yes, love the old footage. It's great that it has been preserved and now shared.

    Workplace Health and Safety would have a field day with the old factory today
    The shot of the area where workers are under all those whirring belts, pulleys and cogs is alarming by todays standards.

    Yes the contrast as you say is in the lack of hands on workers in the modern factory, all those skills delegated to robots are now all but lost.

    Cheers
    Chris
    I think that I was forcefully reminded of how physical car manufacturing was at that time. The images of the workers handling white-hot bars of steel to be forged into crankshafts, and physically shaking the moulding sand out of block castings are stunning. There is a brief segment of a young woman repeatedly winding something, I wonder whether carpel tunnel had been invented by then. But I also loved the segment where the Traction front wings, grille and headlights gracefully descend from the sky to be uncemoniously forced into place onto the caisson.
    roger

  10. #10
    1000+ Posts gerry freed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Lauderdale, Tasmania
    Posts
    2,888

    Default

    see
    Les Films Citroën en 1934
    That priceless film was released in 1934 after production which started in 1933
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

  11. #11
    mnm
    mnm is offline
    Croak croak... mnm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    This is the best I've found so far Matthew

    You'll note the big difference with the workers on the D is that they all have three arms and six fingers on each hand. .

    Cheers
    Chris
    Thanks Chris

    interesting, although brief, to see them throw the roofs in place...I recall you and I practicing the placement and eventual lock down with FrankenD under Mr Kennedy's gaze! hee hee

    Matthew

  12. #12
    Administrator GreenBlood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    8,257

    Icon8

    Well I hope those that managed to view the video enjoyed it while it was available, seems it is in breach of copyright and is no longer available



    Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Quai de Javel - Usine Videos-autopolis.jpg  
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir



    "Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

    The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

    (Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •