• Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ramana

Thread: Post RACV inspection consult - MY06 HDI C5

Tadpole

Default Post RACV inspection consult - MY06 HDI C5

Hi all,

I just received the inspection results for a 2006 HDI C5 that I am thinking of buying.
    the car is quite far from my location so it isn't simple to go and take a look at it myself.

We've just arrived to Australia, so I'm unfamiliar with reliable mechanics in Melbourne that are capable of addressing the car's issues.

I was hoping that you may be able to share your insights on what should be my next step. Car looks great in the pictures, but there are several mechanical question marks.
    The current owner has had it for six months and replaced the turbo charger.

The inspection's bottom line is this:
    "Purchase Recommendation Rating : Amber-Caution
    Attention is required to below listed items, these should be fully considered and costed prior to purchase. Engine and suspension sections marked Caution due to excessive leaks. Body is marked Go however repairs and repainting as noted."

Details are:

Advertisement

Immediate attention to oil leaks from engine: "clean to locate source/s / Excessive leaks at RHR engine bay area. My be from suspension hydraulics."

Early attention to oil level/condition: "black / and service light is on. Also engine temperature stays low. Check thermostat"

Immediate attention to suspension: "damaged / Excessive leaks at RHR engine bay area. Suspect from suspension hydraulics. Clean down to locate cause and rectify as necessary."

Thoughts?

Thanks, Arnon

Tadpole

Forgot to mention that the car is currently in Mt Martha, VIC. If you're familiar with an expert C5 HDI mechanic in that region that can offer a repair quote, that would be great.

Thanks again.

The RHR is famous in the UK for taking forever to warm up. Victoria, late winter - not surprised it's the same.

Looks to be an AL4 automatic car, not everyone warms to this gearbox's behaviour.

Only other comment from me is, the advert looks very professional, is it a dealer using informal channels for a few extra sales? You'd want to be sure it came with as much history as they can find and at least two keys.

Tadpole

Addo, thanks a lot for your response. The car was after a long drive so I would expect the engine to heat up by the time it was inspected.
    I am more worried about the oil leaks that the report mentions.
    The gearbox is an AM6B (6 speed). The engine code is indeed RHR.

Looking for ideas on how (and if) to move forward with this car. The nearest Citroen garage is in Bentleigh - 50 min drive, so not easy to ask the owner to make the drive to get a repair estimation.

Probably good it's an AM6, despite the higher cost of repair parts it's a gearbox more popular than the AL4.

Perhaps you could send a message to Kenny here ("young4oldpugs") as he has a sharp eye, is dealer trained - albeit Peugeot - and may be able to consult on a negotiated basis. I'm a picky bloke with mechanics and he's one of the few I could turn my back on with complete confidence.

Tadpole

Just a thought - if this is the red wagon in Mt Martha - if so i thought it is being sold with a roadworthy. If the Roadworthy is already obtained, how did it pass with the leaks? If not is the vendor fixing the leaks before obtaining the Roadworthy?
    shanadoo likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Go with the RACV report mate. Rating Amber. This unit smells very fishy, I'd give it a big miss unless you have unlimited funds and a free bus pass.

I'd just like to add, regardless of the engine code being RHR, I would interpret "RHR" in this report to be right hand rear, ie. the right hand rear of the engine bay has oil leaks.

I can't think of a reason why the RACV report would refer to the RHR engine code in the description of a leak. An NRMA one certainly wouldn't
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by ramana View Post
    Just a thought - if this is the red wagon in Mt Martha - if so i thought it is being sold with a roadworthy. If the Roadworthy is already obtained, how did it pass with the leaks? If not is the vendor fixing the leaks before obtaining the Roadworthy?
    Yes, it's up to the vendor to repair any faults found at the first inspection before a Roadworthy Certificate can be finalized. You can only get round the Roadworthy part if you buy it unregistered. In which case you'll end up spending a small fortune on the thing before eventually selling it on as a project car. Caveat Emptor.

Acquaintance owned a "03 C5Hdi from new, but then with a couple of niggling electronic faults he traded it on a '010 C5 Hdi. It soon developed a persistent engine misfire. Repair quote was $5000. Traded it on a new Peugeot.

Just thought I'd finalise this thread. After Arnon passed on purchasing this car I test drove it and I'm now the proud owner.

So far I've found little or no evidence of any of the "faults" identified in the RACV report. The service light went away once the tyres were checked and the spare inflated a but more. (The RACv couldn't check this?) As for leaks, the car lived in a garage with a painted floor, and there were no stains evident, nor can I see any evidence of leakage, from above at least.

I do, however, suspect that it needs work on the particulate filter as it's showing symptoms of that being at least partially blocked. It's going to the aforementioned Kenny this Thursday for an auto service and checkover of the rest.

The car drives beautifully, has had quite a few things replaced over the past 6 months, including the windscreen, all the brake rotors and pads, the EGR valve (not the turbo) and the speedo cluster. At the price I've paid for this car I'm happy to invest a little more to get it right.

Oh, and it passed the RWC with only a couple of blown globes replaced. I'd be a bit disappointed in the accuracy of this RACV insection personally.

I reckon it's a good thing. Time will tell.

Cheers, Pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") Seasoned traveller
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Next project
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

Thread Information