Service repair berlingo Melb where?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Service repair berlingo Melb where?

Hi just wondering if anyone knows of the best place to go to service and do any repairs eg engine to berlingo vans

Advertisement

If it's a 1.4 nearly any garage can do it. The only no-no is disturbing the wet liners.

A 1.6HDi is probably best left with someone like Auto Paris.

Hey JB, what does a bloke like you need a Berlingo for?

Cheers,
    Roger

Thanks Addo. It's a 2000 model so that's good.

Hi Roger To build my business in Victoria www.sealasash.com.au

Cheers
    Jb

If it's oil in the coolant (most common failing, often ignored) don't overlook the top hose - it seems more stressed than the bottom hose and will potentially strand you. I went right through my engine because I wanted it to be bulletproof as a new motor, cost about $900 with labour including timing kit and aux belts. Neglected high mileage cars wear the rocker tip screws, new genuine were about $45 posted from France vs $150+ here.

I use hold-downs for the sleeves when head is off, made them modular so they work with any wet liner jobbie and the discarded head bolts - just vary the square tube. They apply point pressure with little beads of weld at each corner.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Service repair berlingo Melb where?-liners_clamped_close.jpg  

What are they like for head gaskets, in terms of tricks, reliability etc.?

Anyone got an opinion about Spencer st automomobiles?

You mean the 1.4?

Most common fail is the rubbery "ring" moulded into the gasket around the passage sending oil into the head. It then lets oil into the water. Besides that, any fourteen year old motor is at risk of needing a head gasket (and new bolts). I bought mine from "eptg250" on Fleabay and used a good spray of Hylomar each side to be sure... Timing kit, water hose and sundries were actually so close to overseas prices at the local supplier (EAI) I bought them here. New radiator bought here, rather than have a cheap overseas one arrive cracked.

Heater core is same as Xantia and many others, watch the 'Bay and you will get one for £10-15 plus postage (genuine). Only messy bit was the heater hoses in the engine bay, the plastic elbow broke so I recycled a Xantia elbow - not a perfect match.

I converted my van to remote central locking with NOS bits for about $500, they should have all been sold with remote locking new - a stupid step to save money by the importer.

Clutch fork and bushes from a supplier in eastern Europe, they were "Hans Pries" brand, made in Spain and bugger me if they don't look exactly like the OEM units. Clutch from OS, Motaquip brand old stock for £20 - was a Valeo kit rebadged, about $85 postage on top. Gearbox bearings from the "One Stop Gearbox Shop" over the phone, they knocked off the 20% VAT for a sale to Australia.

Suspension a mix of old stock bargains, new Powerflex, FAI brand aftermarket and Firstline gaiters. I bought braided flex hoses for the brakes because I'm a bit of a knob. Rear end rebuild is a mission if the trailing arm shafts corrode, unless your workshop is keen it's simpler to swap for a working unit.

A simple car, fun to drive, decent handling, a little gutless but treat it like a 2CV and keep the revs up. Very little will strand you for more than 90 minutes if you're in a capital city.

Hi Citman,
    I have been very happy with Spencer St Autos, they service my C5 and know what they are talking about and are reasonably priced.
    cheers Tony

Thanks all for your feedback. Van has blown head gasket. It's a workhorse so needs to be back in service. Cause - crappy clips that hold radiator in (on plastic end caps) and the clips eventually vibrate/eat through the plastic letting water/coolant go under press....keep driving a little way can cook things.

cheers

Thread Information