• Register
  • Help
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By DoubleChevron
  • 4 Post By JBN

Thread: crash safety

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Default crash safety

Everyone seems to think the old Citroens were pretty good for there time ....

Advertisement

I've only watched the first few minutes.... There's even an SM fitted with an airbag being tested (yes they have already crashed several SM's a few minutes in).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Mort Subite likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Yah- the first airbags showed up in the early '60's , I think. They were an option available as early as '74 on Oldsmobiles. The center boss on an SM wheel is nearly perfect as a container for a bag.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

mnm

I like the singing ladies... music to crash by.

Matthew

I nearly hit someone in a roundabout (in the Prius) the other day.

1. Her indicator was on then self cancelled before she got to the roundabout - would never happen in a real Citroen.
    2. when she got to the roundabout half her car, including the indicator was blocked by the A pillar - never on a real Citroen.
    3. At the last minute I saw she had put her indicator on again and ABS saved me. real Citroens got that too a few years after mine.

I would much rather had seen what was about to happen much earlier in time and avoided an emergency. Apparently modern Citroens are the safest vehicles on the road. Is this the cars or the drivers. Bit of both I would say.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

At least I know how to get the clutch out without burning it out and move off on a 1in3 gradient .... If you watch them do it... They just give it near full throttle and drop the clutch and let the tires layout down rubber until it starts moving
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    Apparently modern Citroens are the safest vehicles on the road. Is this the cars or the drivers. Bit of both I would say.
    Isn't it the C6 that's the safest rather than 'modern Citroens', and that's merely because of its pedestrian impact safety rating? Or are you referring to some actual crash data?

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey View Post
    Isn't it the C6 that's the safest rather than 'modern Citroens', and that's merely because of its pedestrian impact safety rating? Or are you referring to some actual crash data?
    I don't see the primary safety as huge on the modern ones either way ..... The sheer size of the pillars for example can easily hide a Bdouble truck A DS is so much easier to see out in traffic.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

JBN

Maybe, but looking through a 2CV windscreen is similar to looking through a submarine's periscope.

John

1000+ Posts

That's the price paid for the crush integrity of the modern cabin. Would I rather have a slightly greater chance of hitting that truck, but a much greater chance of surviving that hit should it occur....or vice versa? And that's only at issue if you have the opportunity to see and avoid the other vehicle...

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    I don't see the primary safety as huge on the modern ones either way ..... The sheer size of the pillars for example can easily hide a Bdouble truck A DS is so much easier to see out in traffic.

seeya,
    Shane L.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

JBN

That's the price paid for the crush integrity of the modern cabin. Would I rather have a slightly greater chance of hitting that truck, but a much greater chance of surviving that hit should it occur....or vice versa? And that's only at issue if you have the opportunity to see and avoid the other vehicle...
    Don't always focus on negatives like accidents and death. What your mind dwells on may come to pass. Live life to the full, it all ends someday anyhow, so make it fun while it lasts.

I am still enjoying the return trip from the Blue Mountains to The Shire last Friday. The deuche sure loves downhills and as it lurches around the corners at extreme angles of bank, you can see the nervous nellies give you more room for the inevitable rollover that they expect. I am wetting my pants with exileration, seeing the road ahead as a diagonal, slashed across the windscreen. Reminds me of the days I had a pilots licence, except I bank out from the turn, not into the turn. The dichotomy of the car physically going one way and the mind going the other reminds me of dating a virgin. You are either going to be rooted, or not. Jesus take me now, it can't get better than this.

I think my bad habits were set up in Vietnam where I was an infanteer protected by a cloth bush hat and cotton shirt. Our honourable opponents hadn't even gotten out of bed. They were still wearing their black pyjamas. Bad shooting saved a hell of a lot of us. I realised then that we don't write the script to our lives, we just play the scenes given to us each day, so live the day to the full.

Slip streaming along the M4 at 110 kph with the hood flapping, the car rattling and the drivers window waving at the other cars is magic.

The other drivers are thumb-in-bum and mind-in-neutral, cocooned from reality, bored to tears, shaking their heads at the one who flew over the cuckoos nest.

John
    addo, Andy N, Jinandfonic and 1 others like this.

That's the price paid for the crush integrity of the modern cabin.
    I'm not sure if that is right. The biggest issue with modern A pillars is not how thick they are, but how far forward they are and therefore the fact that they are right in your line of vision. I thought that was more a function of styling fashion and aerodynamics rather than structural necessity - surely it would be possible to have a strong 'A' pillar set further back and more vertical. Similarly, the terrible rear vision of most modern cars is more a result of the current styling trend of high rear waist lines than a need for structural strength. I'd like a modern hatch with a traditional 'two box' design like the old 205 - fantastic all round vision!

It is amazing the view you get out through the windscreen of a CX, you forget when you don't drive it every day. Add to that the feeling the car is floating over the road surface, but at the same time glued to it. Then add to the mix a bit of wind like Sydney has had the last few days and you have to be outside or watch the trees to know it is there if you are in the CX. The Xantia is much the same, not quite as laid back.

There is another factor, the character of the car. To me the CX wants to waft along, comfort is what it wants to give; if you want to have a bit of fun it is available, but with a big and deliberate push on the accelerator but not in your face all the time. The Xantia advertises its ability in that department a bit but nowhere near as bad as say a BX 16V, those things are relentless. The Prius is probably the fastest car we own, but thankfully you can adjust the throttle sensitivity. In ECO mode it feels a bit like the CX which is fine by me.

But it is the worst for the forward start of the A pillar. It starts on top and centre of the front wheel arch. You have to be on your guard the whole time, more so after the warning the other day.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

1000+ Posts

John, they aren't my thoughts, I was expressing the thoughts of the majority to whom modern cars are marketed. I'm afraid I take risks that I shouldn't and certainly aren't a nervous Nellie!

Richard, I responded to '...the sheer size of the pillars...', so I think my comments stand. But certainly forward slope of the pillars puts the crash energy longitudinally through the pillar, back into the roof line, rather than the pillar folding backwards if it were more vertical. Then once the front box of the car is crushed (first), the roof is designed to concertina upwards in the middle with the 'box' formed by the foot wells and pillars intact around your legs and body.

Probably pillars made of very strong alloy steels as some makers are using in certain nodes of the monocoque might allow thin construction but I think you're right that it's a fashion as well, so they don't see the need to use super expensive steels. Although they do in some parts of this part of the cabin, like the A pillar base.

Don't get me wrong though. Swapping from my wife's Mondeo (current shape) to the 405 is like getting into an airy box! Vision is so much better. And I miss the vertical windows of the R12 for sure...

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Fellow Frogger!

Thankyou JBN (JOHN).
    I love your article, especially the last paragraph!
    Michael

Thread Information