DS distributor housing seal question
  • Register
  • Help

Default DS distributor housing seal question

I have put the distributor housing back on the block and it has a paper gasket, in parts manual there is a seal shown page 2-211 of 648 part DX 211-116 diagram number part 14 that appears to sit between the housing and gasket, can anyone confirm this is where it goes? I test fitted the seal from gasket kit and it didn't seem like a good fit.
    Cheers Steven

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Steve,
    There is a round washer like rubber seal that sits in a recess in the bell housing that abuts the Dissy housing when the gearbox is attached.I hope this helps, I havn,t revered to the diags!
    Woody

You have confirmed my suspicions Thanks Woody : )
    I had a few minutes before work at shed this morning and checked out that seal, nearly all parts in 648 appear to depict pieces in sequence of assembly some as rhis part do not. it does as you say go into the bell housing case over the camshaft on inside of housing. Good Cheers!

ps you wouldn't have a clue if you followed the parts catalogue!
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 16th August 2014 at 09:08 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    You have confirmed my suspicions Thanks Woody : )
    I had a few minutes before work at shed this morning and checked out that seal, nearly all parts in 648 appear to depict pieces in sequence of assembly some as rhis part do not. it does as you say go into the bell housing case over the camshaft on inside of housing. Good Cheers!

ps you wouldn't have a clue if you followed the parts catalogue!

The rubber 'gasket' is actually the oil seal for the end of the cam shaft. It is lipped and has a spring inside the lip to seal the rubber around a polished portion of the cam that it seals against. It is a slight press fit and is pushed inside the housing opening. Is there to prevent oil in the engine from getting into the body of the distributor housing. The paper gasket goes between the housing and the block. It can be left off IF you carefully apply a polymer sealant to both faces as well as to the lower bolt's threads to prevent oil leakage there. The only 'fiddle' if you will is that it is fairly easy to tear on installation if one is not careful.

Oops - meant to say the 'upper' bolt's threads.

Steve
    Last edited by Citroenfan; 17th August 2014 at 01:15 AM.

Woody and I referred to the seal as a seal Steve! I'll take your advice on the sealing of screws, the manual refers to bolts of course as screws : )
    Yes those paper gaskets need to be applied with care as they are tight, I smeared grease on it as per manual instruction.
    Thanks for info on spring inside seal, interesting, I wonder if repro ones have them but won't be cutting the one I have open to find out, the old one is a plastic compound, the new one a nasty rubber.

Cheers!

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    Woody and I referred to the seal as a seal Steve! I'll take your advice on the sealing of screws, the manual refers to bolts of course as screws : )
    Yes those paper gaskets need to be applied with care as they are tight, I smeared grease on it as per manual instruction.
    Thanks for info on spring inside seal, interesting, I wonder if repro ones have them but won't be cutting the one I have open to find out, the old one is a plastic compound, the new one a nasty rubber.

Cheers!
    AFAIK, or more accurately, all of those oil seals I have seen have that tensioning spring . And you are right they do seem to come in a number of different colors and apparent compounds......though honestly have only seen them fail if not installed correctly or just from wear at 100,000 or so miles.

Steve

I busted the old one apart Steve, brittle as all get out, no schpring dude...

I'm thinking you mean the seal on the distributor drive housing that has a metal innards skynards.

I busted that apart replacing it with a new one.
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 18th August 2014 at 08:14 PM.

Thread Information