DS Suspension Adjustment
  • Register
  • Help

Default DS Suspension Adjustment

With the manual height corrector in the normal position the front of my Pallas appears about 6" higher than the rear. The gap between the top of the tyre and wheel arch is much greater than any other similar model. The eye can tell that the body is not horizontal, and this is most annoying. How do I go about adjusting this? Currently the mudguards are off and the height corrector etc. are all accessible.

Thanks in advance.
    Errol

Advertisement

I'd suggest first checking the operation of the mechanical linkage that transmits movement to the height corrector when you pull the height lever up or down, with the engine off. If it moves from one extreme to the other (low to high) at the front height corrector then the mechanical linkage is working ok. If not it might be seized in the high position and need one or more of the various joints freeing off, oiling.

Then with engine on, try operating the height corrector with a big screwdriver or similar transmitting a bit of movement to it. If the front height responds ok releasing fluid back to the reservoir, then the HC itself is probably ok. Which leaves the possibility that the clamp on the anti roll bar that transmits movement from it to the HC has slipped and is keeping the front in high position. That's what happened to my Safari a few years ago.

The clamp on the roll bar needs to be turned slightly to get the correct front height then done up damn tight. The only problem is you need to get the car on a four poster or be in a pit to get at it. The car will fall towards you as you adjust the clamp which is a bit unnerving and potentially extremely dangerous, so take care!

Cheers

Marc
    Cheers, Marc.

1987 CX GTi T2 Maikonics
    1972 SM 2.7 carb
    1972 DS21 EFI

Thanks Marc for the suggestions. The ... that I bought the car from told me that the front suspension had been specifically set high. Yeh just like the Prestik holding the flickers in place. I found that I couldn't get the manual control into low position, so that could be part of the problem. The engine will only be ready for 'start up' next week so I can only test those suggestions there after. Cheers Errol

Quote Originally Posted by marc61 View Post
    I'd suggest first checking the operation of the mechanical linkage that transmits movement to the height corrector when you pull the height lever up or down, with the off. If it moves from one extreme to the other (low to high) at the front height corrector then the mechanical linkage is working ok. If not it might be seized in the high position and need one or more of the various joints freeing off, oiling.

Then with engine on, try operating the height corrector with a big screwdriver or similar transmitting a bit of movement to it. If the front height responds ok releasing fluid back to the reservoir, then the HC itself is probably ok. Which leaves the possibility that the clamp on the anti roll bar that transmits movement from it to the HC has slipped and is keeping the front in high position. That's what happened to my Safari a few years ago.

The clamp on the roll bar needs to be turned slightly to get the correct front height then done up damn tight. The only problem is you need to get the car on a four poster or be in a pit to get at it. The car will fall towards you as you adjust the clamp which is a bit unnerving and potentially extremely dangerous, so take care!

Cheers

Marc

Via the aussiefrogs App

Your comment from previous owner suggests the clamp has been adjusted. It is easily adjusted, if it is 6' too high, I would put jack stands under the front and back, but leave the jack stands 2' short of the front jacking points, loosen clamp and rotate to lower height. The car shouldn't drop suddenly if you rotate slowly. Check, then repeat process until you're happy. Not sure of the front measurement but I'm sure if you check the manual, you will find it. I would be happy with what looks right.

If it was sitting too low, that would have a higher degree of difficulty. I had to jack up each corner and raise the height of car, so I could adjust. Was a little nerve racking.

as stated, TAKE CARE, people have been killed performing death defying feats under Citroens. Make sure you have good jack stands.

mb

Whoops. Thanks for the 'heads up' about the danger. Clearly what I thought was a simple task is not. I will need to find a hoist to get the necessary access.

Regards
    Errol

Quote Originally Posted by Errol_S View Post
    Whoops. Thanks for the 'heads up' about the danger. Clearly what I thought was a simple task is not. I will need to find a hoist to get the necessary access.

Regards
    Errol
    A hoist would be an ideal bit of equipment to have but if not readily available you can put the front of the car on ramps. Once on the ramps place the car on low (you may have to force the height corrector with a screwdriver) and crawl under the front to ensure that there is plenty of space for you not to be crushed. Just moving the clamp on the anti-roll bar a few mm can suddenly lower the car fast which can be scary.....or fatal.

I know many guys swear by stands but you may find it troublesome to get stands low enough to rest on the correct height and anyway you need some flexibility either way so someone else may have to explain how stands worked for them.

You will have to measure the normal running height from a reference point to the ground/ ramp level using broom handle, etc. ......can someone identify where on the DS frame to measure this point from? Anti-roll bar or frame like on CX?? Doublechevron had a great idea of cutting a broomhandle or similar piece of timber to the correct length as a gauge to get to the height you want to reach. It can take some fine adjustments to get it where you want either way.

Good luck Errol, it's an easy job that can be done in under half an hour, be safe

Andy

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Errol
    There is an easy way to adjust the suspension height.1) Jack up the car to the correct height using a timber gauge under the front AR bar2).Undo the clamp on the Anti Roll bar and make sure it is free to rotate.3)Retighten the clamp.Job done!! I will leave the practical issues to your ingenuity.(Sug, start digging a pit)
    Woody

Thanks all for the advice. A pit would be ideal but they are illegal here. I will be taking all your information to our monthly Piston Ring meeting today, where I will consult with Jimmy, my 83 year old Citroen Guru. I am sure between us we will get this sorted.

Regards
    Errol

Okay we will be good to go on this adjustment, but I believe the clamp on the AR bar requires a special tool to loosen. Is this correct?

Thanks
    Errol

Quote Originally Posted by Errol_S View Post
    Okay we will be good to go on this adjustment, but I believe the clamp on the AR bar requires a special tool to loosen. Is this correct?

Thanks
    Errol
    All you need AFAIK is a ring spanner (11mm?) and an adjustable wrench. Loosen bolt, push clamp around in direction of rotation to reduce height and ease off when set, tighten bolt. After this I like to push the front down (sit on spare tyre) let it level, stand up, let it level and then recheck height. Just go for it...really I can't think of many easier jobs you will do on a D. Let us know how you went.

DS Suspension Adjustment-ds-anti-roll.gif

Thanks Andy. The illustration has really helped me understand what is necessary. Regards. Errol

Thread Information