RHD BVH Safari's
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By brycedunn

Thread: RHD BVH Safari's

Default RHD BVH Safari's

Just curious - I know the factory did them throughout production in LHD form, but when were they available in RHD form - 68/69...? I thought there was a small window they were made...?

Are there many in Aus (genuine factory examples) at all..? I thought they were fairly rare. IIRC one went back to the UK...? I'm guessing that if there are any they are likely private imports...?

Advertisement

Cheers,

Mark...

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

This may help:

Page 97 of the "Original DS" book, there is a chart that lists the ID23FH (RHD), 9/72-4/75 as the only RHD BVH wagons. However, on page 100 it states that there was a limited production of FH style breaks produced from 1968, and many were sold in the UK. It's not clear if the cars were RHD or LHD.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

I know of a recently comprehensively restored example here in adelaide. For sale at about 50 k

Via the aussiefrogs App

Quote Originally Posted by Robert But-Husaim View Post
    I know of a recently comprehensively restored example here in adelaide. For sale at about 50 k

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Do you know model year and perhaps when it was imported to Australia?
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Sorry hotrod, dont know the exact details - it has the last 3 dial dash and flush door handles so i guess post 71

Via the aussiefrogs App

Quote Originally Posted by Robert But-Husaim View Post
    Sorry hotrod, dont know the exact details - it has the last 3 dial dash and flush door handles so i guess post 71

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Even so, quite a rare beast. With D prices sharply on the up throughout the world, 50K prolly isn't a bad starting point for some serious negotiation.

Quote Originally Posted by ds21bvh View Post
    Just curious - I know the factory did them throughout production in LHD form, but when were they available in RHD form - 68/69...? I thought there was a small window they were made...?

Are there many in Aus (genuine factory examples) at all..? I thought they were fairly rare. IIRC one went back to the UK...? I'm guessing that if there are any they are likely private imports...?

Cheers,

Mark...
    Hi.
    I have Gerry Freeds ex-1973 DS23 Safari with BVH.
    As far as I'm aware its a factory original.
    I was informed at the time of buying that Safari's with BVH were pretty rare and few in Australia/NZ at all.
    BVH seems more popular in the sedans it seems, although still not common.

Mines taking a haitus for now half way through a stripdown and tidy up. (not full resto).
    Hope to get back to it soon. I need a good condition roof, or a roof front section from first side pillar forward to replace a completey rusted passenger side corner.
    DS23 Citroen Safari - 1974 (restoration and modifications).
    BMW 525i Touring - 1993 (current drive car).
    Golf Mk3 2 litre - 1997 (rejuvinate for the daughter)
    Honda Odyssey - 2003 (keeping it going for the wife)
    Toyota Rav4 - 1996 (given to the son. most reliable vehicle of all of them)

I bought the Safari from Continental Cars who were not very happy with it as a regulator fault had overcharged the battery and sprayed acid at them.
    As I recall it was a private import and originally made to rder from the UK. Towards the end of the RHD Safari in the UK, they were made to order and used bits from the parts bin. It was DS23 engine with a carby and BVH.
    The engine is now not the original. That was lost in a carby fire around 2001 and replaced by Andy Hantos.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

When I was researching buying my BVH sedan, I read somewhere that from (or after) 1971 (BVH) was no longer allowed to be sold new in Australia as there is no 'park' position. Therefore, the newer cars with BVH are not common in Australia as they would need to be private imports.
    UFO likes this.
    --
    1954 Light 15
    1970 DS21 BVH
    http://www.classicjalopy.com

Thread Information