• Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Roger Wilkinson
  • 1 Post By ScotFrog

Thread: market value citroen light 15 Australia

Tadpole

Icon5 market value citroen light 15 Australia

I am in the market for a Citroen light 15 small boot. I am seeking advise on the current Australian market value for an older restoration running model. not a concours example?

Advertisement

Here is one recent documented sale

Citroen Light 15 Sedan Auctions - Lot 12 - Shannons
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

1000+ Posts

Default Value is in the eye of the belholder :)

Hi leap frog
    You are asking the most difficult question to answer. Fivedoor gave a good reply. More details would be needed before we could offer an opinion.

It depends so much on the details IMHO. How good is the body, how good is the paint, the electrics, the seats etc. Has the engine been partly or fully rebuilt, ditto the gearbox, ditto the brakes and suspension. New tires or years old.

Now if you do a list and assess each of these areas on, say a 1-10 score, then look around at others and do the same, then you might get some idea of worth. Top cars go for the $25k. An unrestored complete car say $5k. a parts car ??
    There is a lot of time involved to do the body and paint and get it reasonable. More for excellent. Price all the bits on the OS web sites to get an idea of the costs for parts. Time to do the work etc. Buying a good going one is not a bad way to start. Drive it while you are doing a bit at a time to improve it.
    jaahn

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi leap frog
    An unrestored complete car say $5k. a parts car ??
    jaahn
    +1

In support of what Jaahn said, I recently saw an add for "parts" car on one of the Citroen club sites for sale for the asking price of $5K

A diecast 1/8 model can be had for $85.00 to keep the dream alive while you are looking:-

Diecast 1938 Citroen 11BL Traction Avant | Collectables | Gumtree Australia Meander Valley - Hadspen | 1040793005
    Every day is a good day

For there to be a "market value" there has to be a "market". A market requires many willing sellers and many willing buyers. We are not buying and selling Commodores here. There are few Light 15s around and ever fewer for sale at any one time. There is no Aussiefrogs "red book": we are not operating an existing market that you can simply slot into. Your entry might even disrupt whatever market might exist. Besides, many of us are cheapskates and I would recommend you not take our price advice anyway. I suggest you decide how much you can justify paying for one, increase that amount substantially, and then look for the best one you can find for that price.

Roger
    FIVEDOOR and jaahn like this.

I dont know the car or the seller, but here is one on Car Sales for the asking price of $18,000

1953 Citroen Light 15

NB - the add states the vehicle is not in running condition so maybe there is room for negotiation with the asking price ??

also advertised here

http://www.tradeuniquecars.com.au/de...ight-15/228697
    Last edited by FIVEDOOR; 16th August 2014 at 07:09 PM.
    Every day is a good day

For what it's worth my friend Malcolm, en route by bike from Scotland to Vladivostock passed these last week on the Russian Altai. Could be a couple of cheap vehicles going when, (if) they get to Paris?

SFmarket value citroen light 15 Australia-enroutebeijing-paris.jpg
    lozenge likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    For there to be a "market value" there has to be a "market". A market requires many willing sellers and many willing buyers. We are not buying and selling Commodores here. There are few Light 15s around and ever fewer for sale at any one time. There is no Aussiefrogs "red book": we are not operating an existing market that you can simply slot into. Your entry might even disrupt whatever market might exist. Besides, many of us are cheapskates and I would recommend you not take our price advice anyway. I suggest you decide how much you can justify paying for one, increase that amount substantially, and then look for the best one you can find for that price.

Roger
    I think Roger's comments are very true. Perhaps I can add a few comments of my own. Personally I also prefer the Legere small boot Tractions but that preference rules out the post-53 cars (and wide-bodied cars), so considerably limiting choice in a already limited market.
    To get a feel for the value of a restored car it's useful to consider the costs of restoration. A base car requiring full restoration will cost anything up to $5K. Depending on the rust and damage, bodywork and paint will run to a minimum of $10K. Trim another $5K. So we're already at $20K before any mechanical and electrical work. Yes, I know it can be done for less if you are skilled and don't figure your time is worth anything, I've done it. So a fully restored car is going to cost around $30K if you have to farm out all the work, but you would have a known concours car. However, unless it was a particularly desirable example I believe that you would have difficulty in selling it for that amount. Yes, restoration of bread and butter cars sucks in a financial sense.
    Given the above, I guess that the market value for what you describe is somewhere between $15K and $20K but what do I know?
    roger

Quote Originally Posted by adjole View Post
    Possibly the twin of the one sold at the last auction. He had two red and black cars and the ID19.
    On the topic that '52 with engine issues has a nice original interior and a really sound body/duco /chrome, by the looks of it. Would probably be worth an offer, if the OP was interested.
    Engines aren't too complicated but I would want some knowledge of gearbox /crown wheel condition before talking money.
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

Thread Information