• Register
  • Help
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By michaelr
  • 2 Post By GreenBlood

Thread: Ds foam steering wheel restoration

Tadpole

Default Ds foam steering wheel restoration

Hi , it seems getting a new wheel for my Ds 21 is out of the question as the column is part & parcel of the wheel making shipping too expensive .
    Anyone have any tricks , I was going to cut my missing section of foam neatly & square then build up foam bicycle handlebar tape to size then fit a leather cover from eBay UK ...

Advertisement

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tim37 View Post
    Hi , it seems getting a new wheel for my Ds 21 is out of the question as the column is part & parcel of the wheel making shipping too expensive .
    Anyone have any tricks , I was going to cut my missing section of foam neatly & square then build up foam bicycle handlebar tape to size then fit a leather cover from eBay UK ...
    Check into eBay seller Sylvain1230_0. He has a DS parts store and occasionally has reconditioned 'safety' steering wheels for sale. Prices from him normally aren't stupid expensive. Loads of other stuff, too.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

The rebuild using a stitched on leather cover may not be original but it makes a good useable wheel.

Ds foam steering wheel restoration-dswheel.jpg
    GreenBlood and Vincenzo like this.
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Whilst it is not going to get you over the line at the concourse judging I like Michael's suggestion. A very usable daily tiller.
    Check the Yellow Pages for motor trimmers and away you go!
    Tim, what area are you in as the AF members may offer suggestions local to you.
    Brendan.

No need for a motor trimmer. Mine is done as Tim37 suggested: A bit of foam repair and an Ebay leather cover. As an intermediate layer I also fitted a cheap fabric/foam "clip over" cover to add a little bulk and firm up the feel before hand stitching on the leather.

I was fortunate that whilst my wheel rim was badly rotted the spoke and logo were good.

Frankly i don't like the feel of any of the properly restored foam wheels I have seen as they all seem to be a bit hard.
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Michael you are right in that the DIY approach is best as the end result can be more 'tuned'. All of my 504's have had after market steering wheels as the early versions are 'thin and hard' and the later ones 'gross' ie sun burnt rubber/shed snake skin and both way too big diameter wise.
    I only advise a trimmer as I don't have the patience to stitch a steering wheel, the skill yes but it drives me to distraction...SWMBO is a dab hand at the craft endeavors so I my subcontract to her (Now looking for 'flying pig' smiley.)
    Brendan.

Tadpole

Thanks Chaps , mines only gone on one small section of the rim so it's on with the leather ( so to speak ) ....

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Thanks Chaps , mines only gone on one small section of the rim so it's on with the leather ( so to speak ) ....
    So what's the plan? Cut out the bad area all around the rim section and then build it back up?
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

You can get new steering wheel from Arpad in Germany for 200 euro plus about 65 euro for shipping and you don't need to send your old part

1000+ Posts

I have a 71ds and the steering wheel has the tape not foam which doesn't deteriorate?

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by michaelr View Post
    The rebuild using a stitched on leather cover may not be original but it makes a good useable wheel.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSWheel.jpg 
Views:	524 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	59567
    Nicely done Michael,

I agree that the repro wheels are a little hard and slightly thinner than the original, I have managed to locate a NOS foam wheel at great expense but feel it was worthwhile, it is definitely has a softer feel which will add to the total driving experience. Having said that the repro wheel would no doubt outlast the original in our climate. I'll have to be careful about sun exposure and use a wheel cover when parked outside.

This is another nice option, especially if the centre spoke has also started to deteriorate. . .

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ds foam steering wheel restoration-steering-wheel-leather.jpg  
    Vincenzo and gsowner84 like this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

mnm

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    Nicely done Michael,

This is another nice option, especially if the centre spoke has also started to deteriorate. . .

Cheers
    Chris

Delicious..

Matthew

Thread Information