I win the idiot of the week award ....... again ...
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: I win the idiot of the week award ....... again ...

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Default I win the idiot of the week award ....... again ...

It's official ... I'm an idiotic moron .....

I just put the bonnet over the roof of the shiny blue '63 ID19. Entirely 100% my fault .... not the cars or anyone elses

I'd had them both on the charger so I could move the ID19's out of the shed..... dropped the bonnets on them both and moved them out to change the oil in Angelas cars.... The ugly pink ID19 went into another shed, the shiny blue one under the carport.

Advertisement

I walked out this morning on saw the one under the carport was already wet anyway, and thought "why not" ..... It hadn't had a run in about 3months..... So jumped in and drove it straight out the yard. Yes I did remember the bonnet wasn't latched down in the 0.5 of a pico-second I saw it lift before it wrapped over the roof. So I managed to bend it into enough shape to lock it down one side and crawl back home. Yes the first thing I did was walk over and lock the bonnet down on the ugly pink ID19 ..... Just incase I'm stupid enough to do it twice.

You see I had no intention of driving either of them until it stopped raining every bloody day..... I didn't take into fact I'd be stupid enough to drive one if I saw it sitting there .... all shiny and eager to be driven

seeya,
    Shane L.
    PS: I hope I have a bonnet here good enough to fit too it .... 'Cos the bent one sure is fubar.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

1000+ Posts

Hi Shane;not that it's much help but been there done that so don't feel lonesome,Andy.

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

That's why you should play with old Renaults, the engines in the back and if you do drive off the wind closes it for you.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

JBN

Shane, I think you posted this in the wrong forum.

Try the Humour forum for these sort of subjects.

John

Fellow Frogger!

Not as alarming as doing it at night, at 100Km/Hr., on a country road, as a truck passes at speed !!
    Heart attack material. The alarming explosive noise alone is enough to ruin your underwear. Took me hours to recover, even after I had persuaded the mangled aluminium to conform sufficiently to close safely. Thank goodness you can see [just !] the road ahead beneath the curved end of the bonnet which has just flattened itself over the roof. Intelligent safety design [unlike the early safety catch], or mere coincidence ?
    Sorry about your sad experience Shane. You'll never do it again eh ?

Richard

At least the hinges didn't fail due to metal fatigue from improper installation. The guy who did that should get more than a weekly award. In his defense, he said they are all like that when I pointed out the future catastrophe.

Doing the Daffyduck dance via the AussieFrogs app. With a cane! gimp quack quack ow ow ow.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

OK, you did something damn near every D owner has done or threatened to do. At least you didn't smash the windshield.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    OK, you did something damn near every D owner has done or threatened to do. At least you didn't smash the windshield.
    But we do need a picture before it gets replaced !!!

Rotten feeling when that happens!!

Ken

Fellow Frogger

That's most unfortunate Shane. Some people have fitted restrainer wires and shackles to stop the bonnet lifting more than a few feet. It's a bit annoying, but might save a bonnet foldback. Has it also torn the hinge mounting point on the scuttle?

If you fit a bonnet from a black wreck, the car will be truly black and blue.

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    That's most unfortunate Shane. Some people have fitted restrainer wires and shackles to stop the bonnet lifting more than a few feet. It's a bit annoying, but might save a bonnet foldback. Has it also torn the hinge mounting point on the scuttle?

If you fit a bonnet from a black wreck, the car will be truly black and blue.
    I just groaned and parked it ... I haven't looked yet... Don't want to look. I always figured the restraining wires were pointless.... and still do think this, 'cos if you have lifted the bonnet to do something and not locked it back down........... You also wont have hooked back up any restraining wires or stops.

Oh well, it gives me a chance to touch up a couple of bits around the car when I get some paint mixed up I guess

seeya
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 63-1092 View Post
    That's why you should play with old Renaults, the engines in the back and if you do drive off the wind closes it for you.
    And that'd be it, about the only positive point in owning a Renault.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

DS23 IE Pallas Automatique
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

Fellow Frogger!

hope your side window was down when you had to stick your head out to see!!!!
    in my callow youth , had that happen in a Hillman, very scarry , (on both counts)

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

Quote Originally Posted by harrisson_citroen View Post
    How dare you insult Renaults.
    I would never do such a thing about Cits, I even started the best thread in this section and one of my all time favorite threads on AF, search for it, Cits and Tits. Even if pink bits,, ooops, I mean, even if Shane has a pink Cit in his shed, who am I to say...
    harrisson_citroen likes this.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by 63-1092 View Post
    How dare you insult Renaults.
    I would never do such a thing about Cits, I even started the best thread in this section and one of my all time favorite threads on AF, search for it, Cits and Tits. Even if pink bits,, ooops, I mean, even if Shane has a pink Cit in his shed, who am I to say...
    ... and we know what gravity did to that thread.
    denxm likes this.

1000+ Posts

Did this in a old Mini at about 80km/h in the dark. Secondary catch didn't....catch.

Pooed my daks. A lot.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Now now Phil, don't be hatin'. You never know who will start the rumor you owned an R9 in the old country...
    harrisson_citroen likes this.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Citroen DS's allow you to still see the windscreen with the bonnet bent back over it .............. They must have known owners would forget to clip the damn thing down all the time

There appears to be no damage at all to anything except the bonnet.... it's destroyed. I'm kinda suprised there's no dents in the roof or surrounding doors. The hinges themselves bent rather than the hinge mounts body side.

Basically I just need to bolt another bonnet on it ..... and get some paint matched.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Shane, did my spare blue bonnet come with the salmon car or is it still sitting in my shed?

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    Shane, did my spare blue bonnet come with the salmon car or is it still sitting in my shed?

Roger
    Hi Roger,

I think it would be at your place I do have a few bonnets here, I just need to check them. Hopefully one is good enough to use! I do remember getting a straight one from Dave Cavanagh a few years ago, but I found a stress crack down the side of it when I went to use it at one point. That one would be very good if I could fix the crack.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

I agree that at highway speed at night that sudden bang so close to your head is shocking, and combined with the immediate lack of vision is a major attack to the senses.
    In a GS one can't see under the back edge of the bonnet when this happens, but in a GS wagon one can unbolt the now V shaped bonnet and neatly fit it in the back so one can continue the hundred kilometres or more of journey one has to undertake.
    I was lucky that it was a straight, traffic-free road. On the other hand, if there had been traffic around I wouldn't have been travelling quite so fast, and the damage to the roof may not have been as bad.
    Glad to hear you survived without more injury/ damage.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

1000+ Posts

They handle like a bowl of custard with all the weight in the back;it is more efficient to pull rather than push through a corner at speed.If you tried to follow a citroen through a corner at speed you would go off the corner backwards admittedly with your bootlid shut.

I was lucky, it happened to me in my XM on the motorway, the bonnet was on the catch and then I started to see it rise and I immediately started to pull into the hard shoulder as it rose up all the way, managed to steer safely looking through the gap.. Slowed down and the bonnet slammed shut and I just clutched down and rejoined the motorway..... They made the bonnets of sterner stuff on the XM....!
    addo likes this.
    Regards,

George
    Leicestershire, England
    1971 DS21 EFI, Pallas, BVH, Blog:http://www.mypallas.net

Quote Originally Posted by Pommiefrog View Post
    I was lucky, it happened to me in my XM on the motorway, the bonnet was on the catch and then I started to see it rise and I immediately started to pull into the hard shoulder as it rose up all the way, managed to steer safely looking through the gap.. Slowed down and the bonnet slammed shut and I just clutched down and rejoined the motorway..... They made the bonnets of sterner stuff on the XM....!
    The XM may not pressurise under the bonnet as much. The XM bonnet is very, very heavy too. Especially with the sound deadening mat on the back if it's a deisel. It still bends in a lovely fashion when the suspension falls through it though

The DS bonnet was the biggest aluminium panel in the world in it's time. It weighs the best side of bugger all. If you don't latch it down, it'll be over the roof quicker than you can blink.

I better do some work on cars tonight .... I'm down to one car, the blue ID19 is sadly sitting there with a bent bonnet, the CX turbos new accellerator cable hasn't been fitted yet, the pink ID19 still doesn't have a roof on it ............. and I'm in no hurry to put one back on .... I liked driving it around without a roof .... Leaving the Range Rover .... The most unreliable car ever made in the world if you listen to most ....... That always starts ... always drives ... always runs ...... And always uses the most horrific amount of fuel you could ever imagine ( 20L/100km +++ I'm not brave enough to check).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Jinandfonic and Kenfuego like this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    It's official ... I'm an idiotic moron .....

I just put the bonnet over the roof of the shiny blue '63 ID19. Entirely 100% my fault .... not the cars or anyone elses

I'd had them both on the charger so I could move the ID19's out of the shed..... dropped the bonnets on them both and moved them out to change the oil in Angelas cars.... The ugly pink ID19 went into another shed, the shiny blue one under the carport.

I walked out this morning on saw the one under the carport was already wet anyway, and thought "why not" ..... It hadn't had a run in about 3months..... So jumped in and drove it straight out the yard. Yes I did remember the bonnet wasn't latched down in the 0.5 of a pico-second I saw it lift before it wrapped over the roof. So I managed to bend it into enough shape to lock it down one side and crawl back home. Yes the first thing I did was walk over and lock the bonnet down on the ugly pink ID19 ..... Just incase I'm stupid enough to do it twice.

You see I had no intention of driving either of them until it stopped raining every bloody day..... I didn't take into fact I'd be stupid enough to drive one if I saw it sitting there .... all shiny and eager to be driven

seeya,
    Shane L.
    PS: I hope I have a bonnet here good enough to fit too it .... 'Cos the bent one sure is fubar.
    I just shut the bonnet with one if the releases not connected
    Not so dumb but I have done it before
    The first time it took an hour to get it up
    Surely I will get quicker

Fellow Frogger!

By the way "moronic idiot" is a tortology

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information