Xantia headlamps
  • Register
  • Help
    WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Xantia headlamps

My headlights were woeful so I upgraded the low beams to a higher powered halogen bulb and now they are great. I decided to try HID bulbs on the high beams as I drive in the country at night and a lot of roos seem to have existential issues...

The HID lights turned out crap - the create a white light but, my low beams have a greater reach. I am thinking that, as the halogen bulbs silvered ends reflect the beam back into the headlight reflector sending the beam back out. As the HID does not have a silvered tip they are not getting full use of the headlight reflectors.

Has anyone else had similar issues and if so, a fix?

Advertisement

thanks

Warren

It smacks of focus to me - the reflectors were designed for a point emission QI bulb, i.e. with a small filament. I tried higher wattage QI bulbs in our 306 years ago, but they seemed to fail quite quickly and I never sorted out why and just put up with what I had. Not really satisfactory. If it had really mattered, I guess I'd have persisted or gone the "auxiliary lamps" way.

Have you tried slightly higher wattage high beam QI bulbs?
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

I've been wondering about the same. To upgrade my Xantia headlamps to HID. Need to do some research though.
    See kit below:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/120952581307

1000+ Posts

Hi Warren

I hope you have a Series I Xantia, as Series II headlights are different. I have tried this conversion with both and could not get a very good focus with Series II.

I initially had exactly the same problem as you - high beam was hitting the road before the low beam cut-off .

Now of course the adjusters provided for the headlights can only move the whole headlight - high and low can not be focussed independently. However I found a way to change the focus for the high beam globe.

I found that it was necessary to make the globe point lower as the reflector reverses the adjustment. Initially I tried putting something between the bottom part of the base of the globe and the mounting bracket (I used cut-off ends of cable ties). Once the wire clip clamped it all down the bulb was pointed down a little, and the high beam would extend further up the road. Later I took the headlights out and realised I could actually play with the mount itself and get a neater job - the H1 mounting brackets are held onto the back of the reflector by screws. Longer screws and some little washers allow the mounts to be tilted.

I also suspect that not all HiD's are the same, but have not tried enough brands/types to give advice on any that are better or worse...

It is worth perservering - the end result gave as good or better results than driving lights, without all the extra brackets & wiring. Even for the Series II I got an improvement over QI, but could not get rid of dark areas.

Cheers

Alec

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

It is a series two so, no adjustment available. I have seen HID bulbs with metal covers I imagine are used to focus the light down. I will look into it.
    Last edited by WRB; 9th August 2014 at 12:42 PM. Reason: spelling

1000+ Posts

I hope you get a satisfactory outcome - I enjoy driving Xantiae, but the standard headlights leave a lot to be desired, especially high beam.I doubt the metal tips will help, although they may send some extra light back to the reflector.

Sorry if my suggestions are not clear. The adjusters are exactly the same for Series I & II - what I am trying to explain is how to modify the mounting position of the high beam globe (in the absence of any actual adjusters). I suggest you remove a headlight (not too difficult), see how the bulb fits into the bulb holder, and how the bulb holder attaches to the reflector. A bit of thought will reveal how you can raise the rear of the globe, which will cause the front to tilt down. You only need the bottom edge of the 'skirt' around the globe to move away from the reflector by 1 or 2 mm (top of skirt should stay still), and you will be able to see the difference.

The dark patches in the spread of the high beam (in the Series II wagon that I converted to HiD) may have been due to the design of the Series II reflectors, but may also have been due to an inferior globe design. I haven't had a chance to try other brands, so looking forward to your further posts .

Cheers

Alec

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Alec,

I will let you know how I go..

Thread Information