Malcolm Bobbit's "Citroen DS" Book
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 23 of 23
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By 59 Floride
  • 1 Post By IE23
  • 1 Post By GreenBlood
  • 1 Post By Hotrodelectric

Thread: Malcolm Bobbit's "Citroen DS" Book

  1. #1
    Fellow Frogger! ds21bvh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    691

    Default Malcolm Bobbit's "Citroen DS" Book

    Was just looking around for new content related to the Dee - and came across a new book by Malcolm Bobbit which looks interesting... only it seems to be 100's of $ in price where it's available...?

    Citroën DS Design Icon book review

    Is this book still in print...? Or am I looking in the wrong place...?

    Advertisement


    Many thanks,

    Mark...

  2. #2
    Administrator GreenBlood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    8,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ds21bvh View Post
    Was just looking around for new content related to the Dee - and came across a new book by Malcolm Bobbit which looks interesting... only it seems to be 100's of $ in price where it's available...?

    Citroën DS Design Icon book review

    Is this book still in print...? Or am I looking in the wrong place...?

    Many thanks,

    Mark...
    Current bid $30.00 plus postage, buy it now $40.00 +

    Citroen DS Design Icon BY Malcolm Bobbitt Hardback 2005 1904788300 | eBay

    Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir



    "Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

    The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

    (Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

  3. #3
    VIP Sponsor 59 Floride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    It's how I roll...Brisbane
    Posts
    33,164

    Default

    That book's bound to be a bit short...

  4. #4
    Administrator GreenBlood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    8,184

    Icon11

    Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    That book's bound to be a bit short...


    Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir



    "Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

    The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

    (Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

  5. #5
    VIP Sponsor 59 Floride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    It's how I roll...Brisbane
    Posts
    33,164

    Default

    Sorry it's been a long week..

  6. #6
    Fellow Frogger! IE23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    That book's bound to be a bit short...
    That's John Bobbit
    Jinandfonic likes this.


    Adrian

    _________________

    Current;

    Xantia V6 Exclusive Auto 2000


    Past;

    CX25 GTI Turbo series 1 1985
    DS23 IE Pallas 5sp 1974
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984 Parts
    2CV 1988
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984

  7. #7
    Fellow Frogger
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    9,771

    Default

    Mark had better be quick ... or be caught short.

  8. #8
    Administrator GreenBlood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    8,184

    Icon11

    Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Mark had better be quick ... or be caught short.
    Yes, I thought twice about posing the link as an afterthought . . .

    I've hit the buy it now, if Mark doesn't want it I'm happy to hang on to it

    Cheers
    Chris
    David S likes this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir



    "Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

    The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

    (Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

  9. #9
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    Yes, I thought twice about posing the link as an afterthought . . .

    I've hit the buy it now, if Mark doesn't want it I'm happy to hang on to it

    Cheers
    Chris
    I looked at it 20 mins ago and it said it was gone then.

    Something odd happening here, the posts are reporting on my browser an hour later than they are.

    Did I step into the tardis or something?

    cheers leconte


    EDIT: i wasn't logged in. When I logged in, the time was correct. Odd!

    so did you buy it Chris? Must have been exactly when I looked at it.
    Last edited by Leconte; 8th August 2014 at 08:05 PM.
    1962 Heidelberg ID19 "Axel"
    1965 Heidelberg ID19
    half owner 1974 GS 1220 Convertisseur Break

  10. #10
    Administrator GreenBlood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    8,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Leconte View Post
    I looked at it 20 mins ago and it said it was gone then.

    Something odd happening here, the posts are reporting on my browser and hour later than they are.

    Did I step into the tardis or something?

    cheers leconte


    EDIT: i wasn't logged in. When I logged in, the time was correct. Odd!

    so did you buy it Chris? Must have been exactly when I looked at it.
    I did

    . . .and then I found this one
    Citroen DS Design Icon BY Malcolm Bobbitt Hardback 2005 1904788300 | eBay

    Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir



    "Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

    The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

    (Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

  11. #11
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    10,783

    Default

    It's a wonderful book IMHO - I've had a copy for quite a while. But it's hard to write a bad book about the DS, and hard to take a bad photo of a DS etc etc.
    There are a couple of good articles in the latest Shannon's car magazine online, whatever it is called, with great ID/DS photos from Bathurst.
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  12. #12
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    There are a couple of good articles in the latest Shannon's car magazine online, whatever it is called, with great ID/DS photos from Bathurst.
    ...and a history of the Heidelberg IDs with magnificent photos (ahem)...for lovers of the local longstroke
    1962 Heidelberg ID19 "Axel"
    1965 Heidelberg ID19
    half owner 1974 GS 1220 Convertisseur Break

  13. #13
    BVH Roger Wilkinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warrnambool
    Posts
    2,344

    Default

    That Bobbit book is pretty but I think it is over-rated. Nice photos, but it suffers from irrelevant photo syndrome, something common to too many books. The photos are irrelevant to the text they accompany and their captions do nothing more than state the obvious. And I am not convinced the text adds much new. Buy it cheaply and you won't regret it, but don't overpay for it.

    Lest I be seen as a total grouch, I like Pressnell's book.

    Roger

  14. #14
    Fellow Frogger! ds21bvh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    691

    Default

    Many thanks guys...

    Chris - many thanks for 'buying it now' in my absence...! More than happy for you to have it if you'd like to add it to your collection...? I've no doubt there will be others - they can't be in too "short" a supply...

    Cheers,

    Mark...

  15. #15
    Fellow Frogger! Fingers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Old Junee NSW
    Posts
    584

    Default

    Without seeing the book in question, it seems a lot are done from a photographers point of view, rather than an enthusiasts point of view.

  16. #16
    1000+ Posts michaelr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,393

    Default

    The same seller recently also sold Reynolds Original Citroen DS !

    Original Citroen DS THE Restorer&apos;S Guide TO ALL DS AND ID Models 1955 75 1870979710 | eBay
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

    DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

  17. #17
    Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    San Diego, California, USA
    Posts
    3,534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by michaelr View Post
    The same seller recently also sold Reynolds Original Citroen DS !

    Original Citroen DS THE Restorer&apos;S Guide TO ALL DS AND ID Models 1955 75 1870979710 | eBay
    Excellent. It went for a 'mere' 60.00. Hopefully now we're getting past that stupid damn bubble where copies were selling for 400.00+. Great reference work, but with sites Nuancierds and HD19 on line, simply not worth that much scratch.
    addo likes this.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

  18. #18
    Fellow Frogger
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    9,771

    Default

    There are other reference books for sure, but Reynolds' book presents a significant amount of accessible information and data in the one place. It's been an invaluable reference for restoration in my experience and is still probably the best compromise between telling the ID/DS development story and presenting technical detail without delving into the factory manuals.

    The $1,000+ ambit claims for Reynolds book, sometimes even for the paperback version, are hard to justify. That's the price 'bubble' for the English language version. That copy at $60 was not exactly fair value and I obviously wouldn't sell a copy for that price. The book retailed for about that when new, the paperback rather less. The last time I filled my car with fuel, it cost me $120+, so that puts values of some other things like LHM, engine oil and some of more useful books into perspective.

    Pressnell's book from the Complete Story series is probably more 'readable' as a story while other books have more lavish pictures. For example, this book has some excellent pictures:
    Citroen DS - The World's Most Beautiful Car - The Pitstop Bookshop
    There are obviously also the French language books, some excellent, some less so.

    p.s. Anyone selling? I think I could justify buying your copies of Reynolds at $60 each and Bobbitt's book at $40 each plus fair postage!
    Last edited by David S; 9th August 2014 at 03:27 PM.

  19. #19
    Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    San Diego, California, USA
    Posts
    3,534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    There are other reference books for sure, but Reynolds' book presents a significant amount of accessible information and data in the one place. It's been an invaluable reference for restoration in my experience and is still probably the best compromise between telling the ID/DS development story and presenting technical detail without delving into the factory manuals.

    The $1,000+ ambit claims for Reynolds book, sometimes even for the paperback version, are hard to justify. That's the price 'bubble' for the English language version. That copy at $60 was not exactly fair value and I obviously wouldn't sell a copy for that price. The book retailed for about that when new, the paperback rather less. The last time I filled my car with fuel, it cost me $120+, so that puts values of some other things like LHM, engine oil and some of more useful books into perspective.

    Pressnell's book from the Complete Story series is probably more 'readable' as a story while other books have more lavish pictures. For example, this book has some excellent pictures:
    Citroen DS - The World's Most Beautiful Car - The Pitstop Bookshop
    There are obviously also the French language books, some excellent, some less so.

    p.s. Anyone selling? I think I could justify buying your copies of Reynolds at $60 each and Bobbitt's book at $40 each plus fair postage!
    You'll get no argument from me over the usefulness of "The Original DS". Like I said, it's a great reference work. My sore spot was how the market went bonkers price-wise over a 40-60.00 book. It's not particularly rare, and many of it's insights are available elsewhere (point conceded- it is all in one easily accessable form). I simply could not then justify spending anywhere from 300-450.00 for a copy. I still couldn't.

    The copy I have- it's hardbound- I "stole" for 135.00. Expensive for a single volume, but rather a lot cheaper than Amazon, eBay, et al. The only drawback was the dust jacket wasn't there. No dust jacket saves me 200.00? Hell yah! The info inside is still the same.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

  20. #20
    Fellow Frogger
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    9,771

    Default

    Agreed, neither book is at all rare, but they are scarce to the extent that there are very few copies on offer at any given time and the discounted remainder pricing is long gone. Compare that to, say, the Jaguar XJ or MkI/II equivalents, which are still $50 books and it seems there must be more owners or wannabe owners not prepared to part with their DS book. It's odd that the paperback printing, which is slightly inferior, didn't cruel the hardback prices. Even with the paperback, the supply has not really been enough to ensure it can be acquired at a modest price.

    Also ... those $1,000+ prices were normally in USD. A few years back the AUD was barely buying 50 US cents, so it would be a truly crazy price at 50cents or even 60 or 70-something.
    Last edited by David S; 9th August 2014 at 08:51 PM.

  21. #21
    Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    San Diego, California, USA
    Posts
    3,534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Agreed, neither book is at all rare, but they are scarce to the extent that there are very few copies on offer at any given time and the discounted remainder pricing is long gone. Compare that to, say, the Jaguar XJ or MkI/II equivalents, which are still $50 books and it seems there must be more owners or wannabe owners not prepared to part with their DS book. It's odd that the paperback printing, which is slightly inferior, didn't cruel the hardback prices. Even with the paperback, the supply has not really been enough to ensure it can be acquired at a modest price.

    Also ... those $1,000+ prices were normally in USD. A few years back the AUD was barely buying 50 US cents, so it would be a truly crazy price at 50cents or even 60 or 70-something.
    I had noticed that about other "Original..." books. Most recently for one on the VW Bus/Type 2. I thought it odd that the DS book was crazy money, yet the Type 2 book was plugging away at the nominal price of 50.00. Considering the insane market over Type 2 pricing (c'mon now- anywhere from 30-125K for a VW Bus??) I would have thought that book to be rather dearer. Mind you, I have no clue if it's up to the standard of the DS book.

    I wouldn't really want to part with mine, but the reason is a bit more esoteric. I'm trying to create and maintain a service library. That's why I bookmark as many technical sites as I can.

    I'm wondering why the publishers don't run a second (third?) printing. Surely more information has come to light since. The publishing house could put up for 100.00/copy, everybody involved makes money, the bubble is burst, and noobs get the info they want in a well established format from a known writer.

    Eh. I got mine.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

  22. #22
    Fellow Frogger! pajamas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Canberra, ACT
    Posts
    276

    Default

    I recall buying my hardcover 'Original DS' in 2006 from the Pitstop Bookstore for normal money (>$80).

    The silly money followed soon after that, then there was a softcover reprint in about 2010 from memory. I bought a softy, just in case.


    Paul in Canberra

    1974 DS Safari (aka Sophie Safari)
    1972 SM (aka Simone, aka S'Moan)
    Subaru WRX

  23. #23
    Fellow Frogger
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    9,771

    Default

    One correction would be in the DS23 chassis numbering in the data section.

    I expect prices for things like VW vans and a lot of other mass-market retro stuff of the moment will likely tank or at least moderate in the not too distant future. When those currently reliving their glory days and misdeeds have had enough, there will likely be more sellers than buyers, but who really knows. Some one-make clubs are in rapid decline because there are very few following with an interest in their vehicles. Citroen is unusual enough to be interesting to a wide audience, but some of the rather less interesting or obscure machines are likely to struggle.
    Last edited by David S; 9th August 2014 at 11:20 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •