DS Pallas Boot Hinge Removal
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By forumnoreason
  • 1 Post By Errol_S

Thread: DS Pallas Boot Hinge Removal

Default DS Pallas Boot Hinge Removal

I need to remove the boot hinges from the rear pillar. I have removed the rear lining but cannot see anyway of gaining access to the two studs. Must I approach this from the outside? Any advice and guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

You've removed the boot kid and need to remove the hinges?

1) take off the rear guard. The bolt you need to access is under the guard.

2) at the top of the wheel arch is one 13mm (from memory) nut. Remove this nut to release the hinge from the body.

3) remove the c pillar trim. Open the back door and undo the two screws from the trim into the c pillar. They're fairly easy to spot.

4) pop out the indicator lense and undo the bolt holding the 'spring' at the bottom of the lense.

The hinge will be free to lift clear.

Hope I've remembered everything and hope that helps!

Toby

Thanks Toby for a swift response. I am a L15 person and new to DS - but learning fast. Yes the boot lid is off. I will follow your instructions this evening and post a reply in the morning.
    Regards
    Errol

Fellow Frogger

Follow Toby's steps, but I'll add ...

The hinge comes off with the outside c-pillar panel attached. They are held together by 2 studs that are hidden when it's installed and can only be accessed once the assembly is removed.

You have to lift the assembly up to remove it, so the bottom stud clears the body. If you leave the trumpet on, you may find it a bit tight, so be careful of scratching the finish.

Don't lose the slotted spacer washer between the hinge upright and the body. It's probably covered in mastic.

In point 3 above, you have to remove the bright stainless strip to reveal two screws holding the c-pillar cover to the front of the c-pillar.

Note where the spring under the indicator is in relation to the end of the trumpet or you can fit it incorrectly and find the lamp will be very tight or not slip in, or worse, not come out again later.

The screw that holds the spring cip on is often rusted and may have to be drilled out. It screws into a captive nut on a small bracket that is bolted to the top of the hinge and they often rust out.

The screws are all Posidriv, not Philips. Buy some Pz (sizes 1, 2 and 3) bits if you do not have any. Using Philips bits damages the screw heads and you do not have as much purchase on them.
    Last edited by David S; 8th August 2014 at 01:25 AM.

One other little doosy to remember is to give the stud on the hinge a good spray of WD 40, and go gently winding the nut back and forth gently to break any corrosion on it, otherwise you might risk snapping the stud off. That whole area is rust trap.
    renault12 likes this.

Thank you for your responses. You were spot on and both hinges are off. Correct about a rust trap area - I got a nasty surprise when the panels were off. Another job to add to the list.

I know I will be using this great forum a lot in future... in time my "Tadpole" status may even become a Frog.
    addo likes this.

Thread Information