• 1 Post By twistedeez
  • 1 Post By kimmo
  • 1 Post By Ken W
  • 1 Post By Andy N
  • 1 Post By Andy N
  • 1 Post By Andy N

Thread: QLD CX 40th anniversary run

Default QLD CX 40th anniversary run

A reminder that the Citroen Car Club of QLD invites all Citroen drivers to participate in a run to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the launch of the CX on August 24th. You need not own nor drive a CX. Please click on the attached flyer for more details.
    QLD CX 40th anniversary run-cx-40th-anniversary-run.jpg

If you can't attend the whole day, there is the option of joining or leaving us at a late morning tea at a Mt Coot-tha rest area. Please contact me for more details.

Advertisement
    addo likes this.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

I'll be there in spirit. Have a good one.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Ah the forgotten CX....there was even a stand at the Beijing motor show this year Live from the Beijing Motor Show: CitroŽn CX | Ran When Parked so can we get anything going in Brisbane?? I fear I may have the only CX there Anyone else??

QLD CX 40th anniversary run-beijing-citroen-cx.jpg

There will be a few of us for sure. I will bring both if I can convince another family member to take a helm 😉
    Citroen C5 II manual '05; C4 Exculsive '07; Citroen CX2200 Pallas '76; CX2400 C-matic Pallas '78

I redid the recon last Sunday and have made the run fractionally shorter than previously advertised - now closer to 130 kilometres start to finish. There is a cafe/ kiosk and BBQ facilities at the end point, but no food vendors anywhere near the morning tea break (planned for around 11-11.30). There may well be enough undercover seating at both parks depending upon the numbers of other park users, so it would be wise to BYO chairs as well. Run notes are provided, however the initial part of the run will be easier to follow if you have a navigator, as numerous traffic lights on suburban main roads will probably reduce the ability to travel in convoy.

The more CXs possible would be good, but the club is happy for any Citroen to attend (Gee, otherwise I wouldn't be able to go )

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Last edited by Bruce H; 9th August 2014 at 12:59 AM.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jinandfonic View Post
    There will be a few of us for sure. I will bring both if I can convince another family member to take a helm 
    Mines not ready yet. I'll be there with Andy in the wagon. Happy to steer one if you can't find suitable family.
    Jinandfonic likes this.
    Out of the 1992 Saab 900 turbo and into
    1989 Citroen Bx 16v

I haven't got one running at the moment. One with a dead gearbox, the other with dead everything.
    I might have to take the C5 instead. At least it has got hydraulics, something common with CX.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Jinandfonic likes this.
    C5 Touring 2008, CX 2400ie Prestige '81 (with dead gerbox), CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic '80, CX2400 Super Familiale C-Matic '79 (to be scrapped very soon) , CX2400i Familiale 5-spd (to be scrapped), GS 1220 Wagon '78 (next project), ID19 '64
    CX Register

Hi Bruce,

As you already know, I will be in Canberra Sunday week. There has been some comment from the offspring about them taking the 'battlewagon' on the run. I will see if I can convert the talk to action on the weekend seeing it hasn't run since FCD 2013. I will roll it out of the garage, fit the new battery I bought for it in the January sales, see if the starter motor will co-operate, put some air in the tyres and take it for a run to see if the cooling system and fans still operate correctly.

Cheers,

Ken W
    Jinandfonic likes this.

I'm still hopeful for getting my CX 2400 used-to-be-Pallas C-matic on the road for the event.

I can honestly say I have tried - swapped the coil, condenser, distributor cap, rotor over and still no go. I also tried the direct 12++ v from the battery to the coil.
    Bough a new battery.
    Got petrol and compression (tested).

Sometimes it almost starts but dies immediately after stopping cranking so the signs of life are there.
    It seems to be very hard to crank. The starter can hardly turn the engine over with the new battery (almost new Valeo starter as well).

The engine run okay couple of weeks ago when I last moved the car. I suppose I could have knocked some wiring connections off when removing the battery. But there isn't that much that can go wrong in the old carburettor engine.
    C5 Touring 2008, CX 2400ie Prestige '81 (with dead gerbox), CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic '80, CX2400 Super Familiale C-Matic '79 (to be scrapped very soon) , CX2400i Familiale 5-spd (to be scrapped), GS 1220 Wagon '78 (next project), ID19 '64
    CX Register

Quote Originally Posted by kimmo View Post
    I'm still hopeful for getting my CX 2400 used-to-be-Pallas C-matic on the road for the event.......
    It sounds like getting a bunch of oldies from the nursing home out for a stroll in the sun

How old is 40 in car years??

Just the right sort of day for a picnic.....
    QLD CX 40th anniversary run-citroencx2200.jpg

Broken down it seems

Via the aussiefrogs App
    CX Register

.....with friends....and matching attire of course. QLD CX 40th anniversary run-safari-picnic.jpg
    kimmo likes this.

Broken down it seems

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Broken down....excellent idea for a picnic! This Sunday we could each bring a collection of photos of CX's that we used to own or that used to go.....in memory of the CX (just in case none make it). So far we have C5, GS, Saab, Corolla and maybe Adrian's CX...surely more will make it at least to the starting point. Then we all admire the CX and continue journey in Kimmo's C5
    Jinandfonic likes this.

CX drivers with their oily clothes and dirty mitts are not allowed in my C5
    CX Register

CX drivers with their oily clothes and dirty mitts are not allowed in my C5
    We will degrease I promise
    Looks like my CX will stay home now as I'm not totally confident about the cooling system especially involving steep hills and sitting in traffic....it overheated badly the other day on a long steep driveway and then had the audacity to explode super hot water in my face from a poorly constructed overflow (a sports bottle that went pop).

Might not have been full enough. When on the steep slope, the pump got air inside and of course could not pump. The same thing happened to me waiting on a very steep driveway just after the engine had been rebuilt. Scary!!
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    Might not have been full enough. When on the steep slope, the pump got air inside and of course could not pump. The same thing happened to me waiting on a very steep driveway just after the engine had been rebuilt. Scary!!
    I reckon you are right there Greg, it pushes the water out and the waterpump can't pump it around....also by the way the fans come on but cut out after only a couple of seconds....so coolant is not being circulated perhaps.

Are you organising another CX run for the 40th anniversary down there? I remember the first one when I showed up in the rattly diesel which was at full rattle to keep up with the other CX's

A good day was held by a few fans of the CX with no less than four examples. Thanks especially to Bruce for putting in such a fine effort with an interesting drive and well-researched commentary for the navigators. Adrian's unplanned stop due to an under-quenched C-matic proved to be a delightful coming together of technical wits and with fluid topped up we were on our way again......
    QLD CX 40th anniversary run-cx-run-stop.jpg
    Jinandfonic likes this.

I was born 28 aug 1964

CX was shown 27 aug 1974 to all

I love u...

Via the aussiefrogs App

Thread Information