• Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By addo

Thread: Leaking Hydraulic fluid and refill, 2002 c5 2.0L Petrol

Fellow Frogger!

Default Leaking Hydraulic fluid and refill, 2002 c5 2.0L Petrol

Hi guys,
    So I noticed a nice big puddle of fluid on the garage floor while parked at work. Not sure how long it was leaking for as I park on the street and it was raining for a few days so could have been a while. After closer inspection I found a split pipe on the drivers side front hose that connects to the bottom of the strut. Its a rubber hose. So I cut the split hose away and replaced it with a fuel line hose and brass connector (couldn't find an exact match for the hose.....). I've also checked the suspension reservoir and its empty. The split in the hose was around 1 inch and at the connector so no surprise there. I've taken it to the dealer to get refilled as I didn't have the right equipment according to good ol Mr Haynes manual. The dealer has told me theres no point refilling as the return lines are leaking and the the struts are leaking and these need to be fixed first. The dealer on the Gold Coast is fairly new to Citroen and I'd bet I'm one of two pre 2005 C5's they've ever seen. Quoted $3700

I've degreased as much as I could so that when I refill, I can see how bad these leaks are by how much fluid I'm losing and if theres fluid on the garage floor. I'll park in the garage for the week and push the misses onto the street

Also, Penrite sell a green fluid called LDAS which after talking to the Penrite tech, is a match for my car. And since I'm basically running on fumes at the moment it should be ok to mix them as long as I am around the 80/20 ratio. Penrite stuff is $31/L, dealer sells the Total LDS for $42/L.
    Enough background and now some questions from my online dealer aussiefrogs

Advertisement

Is the fuel line hose replacement going to hold up? It's not as thick and tough as the hose it's replaced but still quite thick.

After doing my own research, I've found some fluid on the struts and return lines is normal as long as theres no dripping?

Is it ok to use and mix the Penrite LDAS?

Am I able to refill the fluid in the garage? I've read the process is to set to lowest level and while the car is running, fill up the reservoir to the mark (about halfway), close it up and lift up and down a few times and steering left to right a few times. Is this right? Or get the dealer to do it?

Thanks again!

Fellow Frogger

The front struts shouldn't leak as such, but they might become a little sweaty. The normal reason for a leak from the strut is a perished strut return hose. This is a special part designed for a square pad of rubber to fit over a hole in the strut with the hose tail meeting a pipe on the chassis. There is a special clip with a seat to hold the pad against the strut without crushing the middle. This strut return hose is common to C5, Xantia and XM. Look at that before suspecting the strut. The special clip is both expensive and not always reliably reused, so you could salvage the pad from it and secure it using a large hose clip.

The suspension piping issue depends on where it's coming from. The suspension pump controls the height by supplying and returning LDS to the struts via solenoid valves inside it. The ECU on top of it controls these. There are also small leakback pipes from the struts to carry internal leakage back to the reservoir. The leakback pipes have no pressure whereas those controlled by the pump are high pressure. If one of the high pressure pipes is leaking, and there are some rubber sections involved on some models, the fuel hose fix won't do anything. It would probably be effective, in the short term at least, for the low pressure leakback lines.

You don't need vast amounts of LDS, so the genuine stuff may be the best choice. Paradise Garage sell it via their eBay store for about $30 a litre. EAI will carry a non-genuine LDS variety for less and it is the correct colour. I would avoid green because it will just confuse anyone working on the car into thinking someone has added LHM in error. I thought Penrite has a fluid called SSF that was orange, but they may have dropped that.

To refill, set the car to its lowest suspension height and fill it to the about the middle of the seam in the reservoir. That's as close as you can get without fully depressurising the hydraulic system using the diagnostic tool that Haynes possibly mentions. This is the opposite of what is needed for any of the LHM cars, where the level is checked at the maximum suspension height. The C5 doesn't have to be running to top up the fluid. If it is empty and may have drawn in any air, it may not be a bad idea to refill it, start it, move the steering, raise it and lower it again and check it's still OK.
    Last edited by David S; 2nd August 2014 at 12:39 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks David.

I think its the strut return hose that had the split. I'll take a photo tomorrow with the wheel off and post it.

Can't find the paradise garage ebay store but I'll give them a call tomorrow.
    Last edited by garethb; 2nd August 2014 at 07:01 PM.

Fellow Frogger

See:
    Peugeot Hydraulic Fluid LDS 1 Litre 00009979A3 | eBay
    Or search here for LDS, LHM and coolant etc. ...
    paradisegarage1990 items - Get great deals on items on eBay Stores!

The return hose (part# 95 050 399) and clip are like this listing, which may be worth a punt:
    NEW Front Suspension LEG Leak OFF Hose Clip Citroen C5 Xantia XM | eBay
    Suggest you replace both sides if one has split.

Dealers or EAI can obtain them for you. No doubt Paradise Garage would have these parts (genuine), but they will likely cost more than those items on the eBay listing.

The pictures are 1) from the eBay listing and 2) from the XM parts book, but the layout is the same:
    Leaking Hydraulic fluid and refill, 2002 c5 2.0L Petrol-struthose.jpg Leaking Hydraulic fluid and refill, 2002 c5 2.0L Petrol-strut_xm.jpg
    Last edited by David S; 2nd August 2014 at 08:06 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks mate, thats definitely the hose that split. The split was at the hose end and not at the clip end, so will it be ok to drive with the fuel hose on there till this part comes?
    Also, the struts have a very thin film of fluid on them. Not visible but when I wipe my finger, they're definitely not dry. Is that cause for concern?
    Since this is the leak off hose and this split hose was enough to empty the reservoir, would that mean the strut is leaking quite bad for that much fluid to go through it? This hose only transfers leaked fluid?

1000+ Posts

Default C5 leaking ?

Hi garethb
    A few comments on the Citroen leakoff system.
    They have always, from day one, used a system that uses low clearances but no seals in their hydraulics, to give low friction. So they catch the oil "leaking" and send it back to the resevoir, via small pipes from each hydraulic unit. It works well unless the pipes or boots start to fail Fix them is the answer. ASFAIK the fluid is compatible with fuel hose.

The Citroen car club of NSW sells LDS also just for information.

As far as the amount of fluid leaked. Perhaps the return fluid goes into the resevoir at a low point and this is slightly pressurised in C5 This may push it back out the split hose till it reaches the level point.

I would fix the hose, fill the tank with one liter of LDS, degrease the front end and see what it then looks like, as per Davids good suggestions.
    jaahn

Fellow Frogger!

I ended up ordering the hose from EAI, worked out the same as the ebay link so but gets here tomorrow so thanks for the tip David
    The clip doesn't seem to come with the hose, they are separate, is that right? The clip part number is 95127591 judging by the ebay listing?

Fellow Frogger!

Can anyone give me tips as to how to get this clip back on! I spent a good hour under there trying to tackle it different ways but couldn't get it back on

Fellow Frogger

As I mentioned, the clip is not always reliably refitted. Try it off the car and you will see the strap has teeth that should engage. The way it's meant to work is that you offer it up to the strut, engage it to the first clip to hold it in place and then use a tool to tighten it to that it moves over and locks on the next tooth. You'll have to use long nose pliers I think. If you can't get it to work, cut the pad off and secure it to and with a suitable hose clamp.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks mate. I was able to get it over the 2 teeth but just couldn't get the hook over that last bit. I was able to get them to touch easy enough (with the pliers) but just couldn't get the hook over.
    I'll give it another go tomorrow but I'll get some hose clamps for backup. I take it you mean to cut the seat off the current clip and secure it to the clamp? To secure it to the clamp, would solder be ok?

Fellow Frogger!

UPDATE: I'v replaced the hoses in the front and they aren't leaking (driven around 20km, car going from lowest to highest setting a few times at start and end of trip). By the way, that hose and clip system is pretty stupid I think, not even any guide to let you know you've placed the hose directly over the hole, just guess work and hope it doesn't move too much when clipping it on!

So going back to what the dealer told me (needing to replace all 4 struts), what else apart from leaks should I look for to prove a failing strut?

The special tool for those clips is "clic clip pliers" and they're quite cheap off Fleabay. $35 will see you with a set - they make a snack of refitting such hose clamps.
    GreenBlood likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Where were you 2 days ago! That could have saved me a few hours!

Thread Information