DS front brake seals?
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Icon5 DS front brake seals?

When I got my DS21 it came with a few spares including 2 round black seals, which someone told me may be for GS front brake cylinders. They are sealed in genuine Citroen plastic bags, labelled as 'joints' and with the part number 5 435 906 . As they came in the DS I am hoping that they may suit my DS as one caliper is leaking LHM.
    Can anyone identify these parts please? They are about 50mm OD.

Advertisement

Don
    Citroen DS21 Pallas 1970 Renault 16TS 1976 Renault 5TS 1981

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by tresbon2 View Post
    When I got my DS21 it came with a few spares including 2 round black seals, which someone told me may be for GS front brake cylinders. They are sealed in genuine Citroen plastic bags, labelled as 'joints' and with the part number 5 435 906 . As they came in the DS I am hoping that they may suit my DS as one caliper is leaking LHM.

Don
    Definitely GS Don. They are listed in Vol2 of the GSA parts manuals (available on pdf) as Dust seals for the front brakes. Factory DS parts (at least for the 1960s Ds) generally were coded with a D or DS as the start of the part numbers.

These are listed in the assembly 4-451-10 (Front Brakes) from the manual, which dates from 12/1981. The rear GS brakes also have dust seals but they are smaller. These ones are listed as ID 44.5 OD 50.7 Width 2.8. There should be 4 according to the parts book.

hope this helps, Leconte
    1962 Heidelberg ID19 "Axel"
    1965 Heidelberg ID19
    half owner 1974 GS 1220 Convertisseur Break

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by tresbon2 View Post

Don
    The front 0-rings for a post 66 D can be easily found - here in the US an AS 332 (AS=American Standard) 0-ring is good fit for the front calipers. Actual dimensions are 5.3mm width, ID 59.7mm, OD 70.4mm. Have used them for years. The D sedan rears can be replaced by an AS 112 and for Breaks an AS 114. The felt wiper ring on the front calipers can be easily cleaned by carefully soaking in Acetone for a few minutes. Heat up some good quality white lithium grease in a small can, put the clean and dried felt rings in it and allow the melted grease to soak in. Remove - let cool and then install in the caliper. If working with an LHS based car just soak them in Castor oil. Those AS rings are readily available in both Nitrile and EPDM rubber compounds.

Steve

Thread Information