• Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Bruce H
  • 1 Post By Jinandfonic
  • 1 Post By Greg C

Thread: CX Prestige doorpanel rebuild

Default CX Prestige doorpanel rebuild

Thnx to reaction 2 my previous post. Im really starting to enjoy the idea of being a CX owner. Few things that need attention tho

Electric windows make strange noises esp front ones
    All door panels need rebuilt. Bent and pulling away from doors. Any advice for best course of action???

Lenses on front lights headlights indicators look tired. How to make em shiny again?

Steel rims need redone. What colour were they originally? Seems whitish but what HEX colour value?

Thnx in advance for info and assistance.

CX Prestige doorpanel rebuild-1406627167398.jpg
    CX Prestige doorpanel rebuild-1406627185685.jpg
    CX Prestige doorpanel rebuild-1406627219866.jpg
    CX Prestige doorpanel rebuild-1406627266743.jpg
    CX Prestige doorpanel rebuild-1406627289956.jpg

Advertisement

Via the aussiefrogs App

Your rear door trims shouldn't be as problematic as the front. The front door trims warp more because that "cloth" trim (factory calls it chamois rhovyline) is actually on a plastic-type sheet, glued to the exterior foam of the fibrous board (if you're reallyyyyy careful you can pull this sheet off the board, but how successfully it could then be re-glued I don't know - the one I had was too worn and ripped on the armrest section to be re-used). The inside of the fibrous board has no coating on the Prestige's front doors, and is susceptible to warping with humidity / moisture. The rear door trims have a plasticised inner surface on Prestiges, so are less susceptible to warping.
    There has been much discussion on this board over the years (some possibly lost in the GAC Great Aussiefrogs Crash) about fibreglass moulds as replacements for the fibrous boards.
    Decades ago I had some success on a Pallas using fabricated metal brackets (between an L and a V in shape) screwed to the door, then screwing through the edge of the the trim (so they are not visible when the door is shut) to secure it more effectively than the plastic clips (if you ever see the trailing edge of an SM door-trim you'll see where the idea came from). This worked on a trim that had only a slight warp (on the lower edge where it had a greater warp a small metal plate was use on the exterior as well to prevent it catching on the rubber door seal) and lasted at least for the year or more I kept the car.
    Some people have retrimmed their panels with various types of carpet and cloth, but to best get the shape you really need to cut and stitch along the armrest and that curve near the mirror control you have photographed (not a problem on post 1977 Pallas where the door trims had fake stitching, but it won't replicate the Prestige cloth trim.). Of course you could originally buy Prestiges with full leather trim, door panels stitched much like the fake stitching on Pallas door trims.
    Do a Google search for Citroen paint colours and you should find the code for the grey wheel rim paint (if you can't find it for the CX, look for the similar paint code for a DS or GS).

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Last edited by Bruce H; 29th July 2014 at 11:49 PM.
    tinfoilstar likes this.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

And another thing - from your photo I can't tell if you have the finishing strip that goes between the door trim and the glass. The ones fitted sometime after 1981 (Greg C what are yours like?) had a hidden metal insert with a more rubber-like finish and a different fixing system that stopped them from warping the way the earlier all plastic ones did. I don't know if they had the fake chrome finish that the early Prestige plastic ones had, certainly the later ones I found (which could have come from a wagon) were just all black in finish.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Actually your door trims look pretty good for a CX. The plastic/nylon plugs/grommets give way with age. My '78 wreck has plastic topped colour matched screw heads & washers on each 4 corners of the door trims to help hold them in. A previous owner addition I think as my other '78 C-matic doesn't. Your door speakers are missing the factory grills as they are sitting proud of the door. Some beige speaker cloth over yours could work?
    tinfoilstar likes this.
    Citroen C5 II manual '05; C4 Exculsive '07; Citroen CX2200 Pallas '76; CX2400 C-matic Pallas '78

Thanx bruce. I dont mind a non original look on door panels. Want sturdy sound proofing and a look befitting prestige... more than what citroen had in mind at the time. I wanna rebuild once and pass the cx on in good stead once im gone

Via the aussiefrogs App

I have been watching this thread with interest. I am sure that I saw your car in Cape Town a few weeks ago on one of our club runs to Simonstown. Driven by one of our members who owns a gold DS20. If this is the same car you have a fine example.

I have a pretty rare Brit spec (mph speedo etc) 1984 right hand drive 5 speed manual CX25ie Prestige that belonged to the French Embassy in Pretoria - apparently originally supplied to the French Embassy in Sydney/Canberra? Came to South Africa with the ambassador late 80s. Would be fun to trace its history.

Your front door card looks just like mine did. Drill through the door card and door as low as possible inside the elasticised map pocket and insert long self tapping screw with large washer to pull all together - worked for mine. Another self tapper with cup washer to the extreme lower front edge of door card pulls it all together and is invisible when door is closed.

Enjoy!

Kev..

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Last edited by kevcab; 30th July 2014 at 09:03 AM.

I retrimmed mine. Unfortunately at the time I could not get the chamois rhyvoline material, so it looks OK but not as good as it once did. If you have no damage in the front trims I would start by getting more sockets for the doors and pushpins so you can attach the trim firmly to the door. If done properly you don't need to use a screw. Just be very careful getting the trims off, lever with a big screwdriver at every pushpin.

Once the door trims are off give the window winder mechanism a bit of lubrication. That should help.
    tinfoilstar likes this.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

For the car's sake, stop taking it onto the beach. Salt water and steel don't get on well. Good luck with your restoration.

Its now in the hinterland far from the ocean. If i had money id hav my cx in a oxygenless dry heat controlled environment

Via the aussiefrogs App

U must hav run into prof johannes cronje. He lives in cpt. He drove my cx for 2 months. I sourced the car in worcester. So prof j agreed to keep the car since he wanted to experience a cx. In the meantime i organised transport to pretoria.

Via the aussiefrogs App

Thread Information