• Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BallinaOB

Thread: ECU rebuilding in Australia

Default ECU rebuilding in Australia

Hi all,

Advertisement

Looks like I may have a terminal SensoDrive problem with my C2 (2004 1.6 VTR 89 000 km). The car has been in the car park at work for the last three days, where it will not reset the gearbox and therefore will not start. I have carried out all the 'known' reset procedures and it has recently had a gearbox service (at a citroen dealer) a new battery and the alternator load tested. I have been in contact with a citroen mechanic for some 'extra' reset ideas but nothing will get past the flashing auto and snowflake.

Getting the car from Bathurst to a mechanic with sensodrive expertise will probably be costly in itself.

Research over the last few days is leading to a faulty gearbox ECU. I have had contact with both Automotive ECU Testing - ECU Repair and Exchange and SINSPEED | DPF Removal, ECU Testing / Remapping, ABS & Turbo Repairs to determine price and turnaround for getting the ECU to the UK , rebuilt and back.

I am wondering if any one on the forum knows of a place in Australia which rebuilds ECUs. My internet research is not turning up any positive leads.

Thanks
    Anthony O'Brien
    2019 C4 Cactus
    2008 C5
    2007 C4
    2004 C5 Estate

Previous
    2003 C5
    2004 C2 (now with youngest son)
    2006 C2 (now with eldest son)

It may be worth getting on Lexia first. Check you can "see" all controls operating - all gearstick positions and both paddles. The paddles and stick up/down switches are in series so an open circuit in one will affect the whole system.

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    It may be worth getting on Lexia first. Check you can "see" all controls operating - all gearstick positions and both paddles. The paddles and stick up/down switches are in series so an open circuit in one will affect the whole system.
    Thanks addo,
    I do want to have it thoroughly checked over before going ahead with any 'repairs'. Diagnostics will depend a little on what mechanic I can get it towed or transported to. I will be talking to different mechanics tomorrow to see what scan tools they have before making a decision. My preference is to get it to a dealer if feasible. There is a Peugeot dealer in Orange (55 km away), I will check if they have a lexia and any experience with the sensodrive box.
    Anthony O'Brien
    2019 C4 Cactus
    2008 C5
    2007 C4
    2004 C5 Estate

Previous
    2003 C5

If they are a franchise, they should have Diagbox, the all-in-one replacement for Peugeot Planet and Lexia - which may well mean that CitroŽn diagnostics are supported.

Fellow Frogger

You need to read the faults to know what it's complaining about. It could be any one or a number of possible problems.

Are you sure the brake pedal switch is OK? The car will not crank if it's bad and the gearbox may have registered some switch 'incoherence' fault as a result.

There should be a start inhibitor relay, possibly behind the LH headlamp. Apparently, 4 wires in a 9 way black socket. 2=Output to starter, 4=+12V supply from slave unit, 5=+Crank supply. 9=Earth. You could test these and see if the relay is bad, but the gearbox fault probably prevents a +crank instruction anyway.

The ECU should be the last thing you'd look at. If there is no physical internal issue with the gearbox and clutch, then you would suspect the clutch or gear shift actuators before the ECU. The stepper motors in the gear shift actuator have been known to fail due to carbon dust buildup inside. Cleaning this has sometimes been successful, so you would certainly try this before blithely paying for a new unit. You need to know what you are doing to remove, clean, reassemble and refit the actuators though - not for an untrained DIYer. You might suspect brake switch, clutch actuator and shift actuator in that order.

Why have you needed to 'reset' the greabox anyway? It's not necessary in normal operation, so there must have been some fault developing. If it's not readily apparent as to what is wrong, then paying the towing fee to someone who knows what they are doing is likely to be far cheaper than the fishing expedition that could result otherwise. Some people have ended up buying the car twice over going between guessing garages.

I often marvel at your detailed replies David! Like this one....

I'm not sure I've ever heard of a confirmed ECU failure, always ancillary stuff like contacts, switches, relays, earths etc. I presume that is what you are saying?
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    If it's not readily apparent as to what is wrong, then paying the towing fee to someone who knows what they are doing is likely to be far cheaper than the fishing expedition that could result otherwise.
    Thanks for the reply David. As I am currently trying to decide and organise where to get the car transported to for diagnostics, do you have someone you can suggest who would know what they are doing?
    Anthony O'Brien
    2019 C4 Cactus
    2008 C5
    2007 C4
    2004 C5 Estate

Previous
    2003 C5

Fellow Frogger

It would be worth contacting Continental Cars in Sydney. They would certainly be able to repair it or possibly refer you to someone nearer Bathurst. I don't know who ended up with Citroen in Orange, if anyone, and the odds are that they'd have sent their diagnostic gear and maybe the tooling back to Citroen. Pug didn't sell Sensodrive cars here, so the Pug dealer may be able to diagnose, but their technicians may not know the system unless they are ex-Citroen. Anyone appointed a dealer recently may not have the knowledge as Sensodrive was replaced by EGS some years ago. You'd have to ask.

It's not that the ECU can't fail, but it's far less likely to be the problem than the wearing electro-mechanical parts.

Thanks David,
    Have been in contact with Greg at Continental and looking into transport options now. Will let the forum know how I get on.
    Was asking the question re ECU rebuilding as C2 contacts in the UK were pointing me in that direction and I wanted to be prepared if I had to go down that repair path.
    Cheers
    Anthony O'Brien
    2019 C4 Cactus
    2008 C5
    2007 C4
    2004 C5 Estate

Previous
    2003 C5

Fellow Frogger!

Anthony, Tom Dolan lives in the Blue Mountains region - might be worth a call 9721 1889. He is good with those types of issues too. Chris Mortimer

Thanks to Greg and the service team at Continental the C2 is now working and I drove it back to Bathurst yesterday. Basically various internal components of the gearbox needed replacing, fixing and adjusting. Also, the force that was required to get it to change from 1st to reverse in particular and down from 3rd all the way to 1st was overheating and burning out a gear motor in the gear actuator.
    The C2's two and a half week holiday in Sydney cost me $2500 but it is worth it to have this great little daily drive back on the road.
    Chris at the citroen Centre (Continental Cars) was extremely helpful and kept me in the loop with regular updates and discussions. I would recommend him and his team to anyone needing more than just a service for their Citroens.

For those interested, here is a partial run down from the invoice:
    Citroen diagnostic check of faults
    P0750 internal fault - no gear engagement with vehicle in motion

Remove clutch actuator & lubricate internal parts and adjust take up position on actuatorRemove gear actuator and use donor actuator
    Same faults appearing
    Remove gearbox and split casings

Clutch worn and flywheel requires machining
    Replace first to reverse peened pin (loose) with high tensile bolt
    Replace clutch kit, flywheel (exchange unit), gear oil and clutch release guide bush
    Test drive & found missing reverse and 1-2 shifts with no further internal fault codes P0750

Remove gear actuator and pull apart
    One gear motor to 1 & reverse with internal overheating and casing warpedReplace motor and ok on extended test drive

p.s. Chris, I rang Tom Dolan. Had a good chat, but he no longer works on the cars. Thanks for the contact though.
    addo likes this.
    Anthony O'Brien
    2019 C4 Cactus
    2008 C5
    2007 C4
    2004 C5 Estate

Previous
    2003 C5

Thread Information