DS Door Glass
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: DS Door Glass

Fellow Frogger!

Default DS Door Glass

I have broken the Drivers Door Glass on my D spec!! After a quick search I have found 3 LHS ones.While I notice there area few subtle differences (Asymmetries) I cannot see any insuperable problems. Has anyone tried this.
    Woody

Advertisement

Do you have DS door glass in it already?

I would have thought a DSpécial might carry ID spec door glass.

This would be the fake glass?

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    This is a 1975 D Spec, the glass is the same as a DS21!
    Woody

Hi Brian,

They are interchangable, just the etched writing in the corner may be reversed.

You will need to take the metal strip off the bottom of the drivers glass and put it on the bottom of the passenger glass - note the lateral position on the glass.

Both 4mm and 5mm glass was used in the cars, I don't know when, but measure the other windows to be sure you getting the same.

If your going to that trouble I'd also put some new slides in (they are available overseas easily) to tighten the mechanism up. I just did this and the windows are like new...!

I've never pulled the metal strip off one myself so can't help there.

Cheers,

Mark...

PS. I'm sure a wider search would yield the correct drivers glass from someone - it is one of those things that is not needed that often. It will save you messing with the strip...

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    Different years/different trim specs. The only 'fake' glass was the rear hatch windows on the wagons- they were using plexiglass (except in the US) because the hatch was already so heavy. Fun fact: that was why nobody (except in the US) ever saw a rear defroster on their wagon.
    addo likes this.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    Different years/different trim specs. The only 'fake' glass was the rear hatch windows on the wagons- they were using plexiglass (except in the US) because the hatch was already so heavy. Fun fact: that was why nobody (except in the US) ever saw a rear defroster on their wagon.
    All D Safaris in NZ had glass in the rear hatches. Most of the late ones had demisters, but none worked for very long!

Quote Originally Posted by Mungous View Post
    All D Safaris in NZ had glass in the rear hatches. Most of the late ones had demisters, but none worked for very long!
    In Aus the very early Safari used plexiglass in the rear. My '67 had no rear demister but a glass rear screen, my later '72 Safari certainly had the demister in the glass.

Brian,
    As mentioned by ds21bvh you can use the door glass RH to LH by carefully prising the metal channel off the bottom and refitting the glass using the channel from the other side, you will mirror the manufactures etched marking. If you are going to fit new slides and I highly recommend you do, be aware they are available in 4 and 5mm to suit the glass you are using. I have my glass removed at the moment and several slides were cracked or broken so new replacements are ready for assembly.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    In Aus the very early Safari used plexiglass in the rear. My '67 had no rear demister but a glass rear screen, my later '72 Safari certainly had the demister in the glass.

Brian,
    As mentioned by ds21bvh you can use the door glass RH to LH by carefully prising the metal channel off the bottom and refitting the glass using the channel from the other side, you will mirror the manufactures etched marking. If you are going to fit new slides and I highly recommend you do, be aware they are available in 4 and 5mm to suit the glass you are using. I have my glass removed at the moment and several slides were cracked or broken so new replacements are ready for assembly.

Cheers
    Chris
    Learn something new every day. I was given to understand we were the only ones who got glass rear hatches. Apparently not.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Not all
    Early French assembled RHD cars had the plexiglass rear, and I'm told that Slough ones may have had glass.
    Kris

Fellow Frogger!

I have successfully done this ie fitted a RHF glass to a LHF door. It was on a early D though. I seem to recall that a fair amount of care was needed to prise the metal channel off the glass and recover the rubber. Refitting was also a careful process and success depended on the condition of the rubber.
    roger

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for all the helpful advice.I was hoping that someone would tell me to just wack it in as it is!!
    Woody

You had me confused for a while there with the term LHS. I was wondering how a door glass could be hydraulic. Hydraulic powered windows, cool idea!

Roger

Wasn't it proposed for the Dee?

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Wasn't it proposed for the Dee?
    A few things were dropped, another was hydraulic wipers. . .

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    A few things were dropped, another was hydraulic wipers. . .

Cheers
    Chris
    And hydraulic air brake! Imagine if all the possibilities had been fitted, there would be no need for the DS rust prevention thread, but keeping up a supply of LHM for all those leaks would have been impossible

http://www.citroenet.org.uk/miscella...raulics-2.html

DS Door Glass-airbrake-ds.jpg
    Last edited by michaelr; 30th July 2014 at 12:43 AM. Reason: added illustration
    GreenBlood and Mungous like this.
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    You had me confused for a while there with the term LHS. I was wondering how a door glass could be hydraulic. Hydraulic powered windows, cool idea!

Roger
    For that, you need something like a '48 Lincoln Continental or a Mercedes 600 Grosser. **SNAP** goes Mme Guillotine's idea...
    Jinandfonic likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

The Austin A90 Atlantic also had hydraulic windows,how about getting back to the subject!
    Woody

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by brian woodcock View Post
    Thanks for all the helpful advice.I was hoping that someone would tell me to just wack it in as it is!!
    Woody
    Well, it won't work. Hope all you like, but the steel rails at the base of the glass differ from left to right. Discussion about plastic Safari 'glass' and hydraulic window regulators don't alter the relevant answers already provided.

Make sure you know how to adjust the glass before closing the door with it wound right up. Otherwise, you will looking for yet another pane of glass.
    Last edited by David S; 31st July 2014 at 10:26 AM.

Did the factory centre their door glass with temporary spacers on the edges? That seems to me, one way of getting it right.

My OSF glass is perilously close to the B pillar trim, the A post is damaged and the door doesn't hang right - the OP might need to adjust the door first, then the glass...

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    For that, you need something like a '48 Lincoln Continental or a Mercedes 600 Grosser. **SNAP** goes Mme Guillotine's idea...
    I like the idea of hydraulic windows .... as the car sinks slowly down to the ground so would all the windows ......... It sure would make starting the car exciting ... "who will the windows grab when I start the car this time"

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger!

I am pleased to announce that I have successfully fitted a LHS door glass complete with steel channel to the RHS door.It was not all plain sailing,I had to grind a bit off the channel,but it is now all working well.This procedure may well offend some purists ,but now its all together none can tell!
    Woody

Nice one. A positive outcome is a positive outcome!

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Cheers,
    Michael

Citroen Car Club of NSW - Member

1974 Citroen DS23 non Pallas BW Auto/Carby with Air-conditioning [AC640 Delta Blue]
    1972 Citroen DS21 5SPD EFI Pallas [AC088 Blanc Meije]

2012 Citroen C5 Exclusive 3.0L Auto Diesel [Noir Perla Nera]

Fellow Frogger

OK, fair enough. I was wrong as you've made it fit.
    Do the two bolts at the bottom still act as stops when closed.
    Did you slide the channels up or down so the glass can't catch on the roof?

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    I like the idea of hydraulic windows .... as the car sinks slowly down to the ground so would all the windows ......... It sure would make starting the car exciting ... "who will the windows grab when I start the car this time"

seeya,
    Shane L.
    What a fun hypothetical project, Would this motor work? http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-cu-in-WH...item3f33c86771
    A separate accumulator sphere for windows, wipers, locks & seat operation. The car would never rust again!
    Citroen C5 II manual '05; C4 Exculsive '07; Citroen CX2200 Pallas '76; CX2400 C-matic Pallas '78

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information