C5 tyres.
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 12345 Last
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: C5 tyres.

Fellow Frogger!

Default C5 tyres.

Citmen,I am looking to buying a set of tyres for my c5. Advice please on good and and which ones to avoid.Only have to last 5 yrs as by that time I most likley be over in the marble forest.Have I left my run too late? Regards TOMFROG

Advertisement

My car is now on its second set of tyres. I put the same Michies back on it as they've been brilliant.

Edited, I just chrcked the new tyres, they're Pilot Sport 3, 245 40 19.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Last edited by Boyracer; 22nd July 2014 at 11:56 PM.
    Cheers,
    Michael

Citroen Car Club of NSW - Member

1974 Citroen DS23 non Pallas BW Auto/Carby with Air-conditioning [AC640 Delta Blue]
    1972 Citroen DS21 5SPD EFI Pallas [AC088 Blanc Meije]

2012 Citroen C5 Exclusive 3.0L Auto Diesel [Noir Perla Nera]

1000+ Posts

Yopu can't put the same Michelins on any more - as Tomfrog has posted elsewhere, they have been replaced by a different model. It has been discussed before, so do a search. Continentals and even Kumhos have been discussed IIRC.

Fellow Frogger!

I still continue to run Michelin on my C5.
    People frequently comment on how well the car drives (mostly my skills, I would have thought) as well as how quietly it travels.
    I love to drive this car.

I know that others will say cheaper/ better tyres are their preference.

I have rarely needed a puncture repair on a Michelin and I have never needed to address out of balance until I can see the sparks from the steel-belts*

*well I was a youngster in a Renault 4
    * at that stage they were replaced

Actually it was mostly the Renaults that got replaced!

1000+ Posts

David, that would mean using Primacy ST now. HP has been dropped in the size. Mucho $$$ at my local place.

1000+ Posts

Default Tires !

Hi
    I am reluctant to say this because I know some other C5 owners can be a bit anal However ---

Instead of putting the slightly odd size fitted originally I changed to the same size as fitted to the more common cars. No discernable difference in anything, except the prices were considerably cheaper. i fitted Pirellis as they were a good tire at a reasonable price. No complaints. Need some more soon.
    Jaahn

Hi,
    In early December I put a set of Michelin Primacy 3 ST 245/45/R18 100W on my 2008 X7. This cost me $1410 all up and I have done just over 10 000km on them. That's 14 cents per km to date ( fuel is costing me 13 cents per km).
    I have found them to be extremely quite and
    comfortable, handling very well on country roads, expressways and city streets in both wet and dry conditions. they seem to be wearing very well also. They suit me and I am quite pleased with them.

Anthony O'Brien
    2019 C4 Cactus
    2008 C5
    2007 C4
    2004 C5 Estate

Previous
    2003 C5
    2004 C2 (now with youngest son)
    2006 C2 (now with eldest son)

Fellow Frogger!

I recently put Toyo Teo Plus on mine, and have been really happy. They are a really top value touring tyre, good grip and quiet.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    06 Citroen C5 Estate 2.2 Hdi Auto
    95 Peugeot 306 S16
    95 Silver Xantia VSX - now deceased

Fellow Frogger!

I recently put Toyo Teo Plus on mine, and have been really happy. They are a really top value touring tyre, good grip and quiet.

I'm with you on that, I put them on ours not long after we bought it about 5 years & 40k ago. They are still good although starting to get down but life in them yet. Good value tyre & wouldn't hesitate to get them again. cheers Dave

I put some Michelin Primacy LC on the front of our C5 and was not impressed - just felt mushy after the HPs. So they are now wearing out on the back while I use up my precious HPs on the front. I think I will have to leave the Michelin stable when I need more new tyres in the future so I watch this thread with interest.

Cheers,

Ken W

Michelin MXV8 was great on ours. Have Bridgestone ecopias on there now which are fine. Yokohamas cdrives were terrible and didn't suit the Citroen and got really noisy
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

The factory OEM approval is for Michelin and Continental, after that you are on your own as tyre testing experts.
    JohnW likes this.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Hi tomfrog,

I recently replaced the original Michelins on my 2009 C5 with Yokohama C Drive 2 tyres after discussing with the Bob Jane T Mart guys the relative merits of these tyres with the Michelin equivalent.

They are easily as good as the Michelins, both around town and on trips, perhaps a little quieter and softer.

Best of all, I got the "Buy Three and Get One Free" deal, so it was win-win all the way, and I saved a very considerable amount of money over the Michelins.

RobL
    Armidillo likes this.

Two weeks ago I was quoted $175 each, fitted & balanced, for 215/55/16 Toyo Teo plus and $210 for Michelin Pilot Sport 3s. Both tyres came well recommended. I went with my prejudice and bought the Michelins. So far so good. They are quiet and hang on well but it's very early days.
    Just incidentally, a friend's brand new C4 Crosser came ex-factory with Bridgestone tyres. Was I the last to know that the long-term Citroen-Michelin alliance was well and truly over?
    2006 C5 2.0 HDI estate - daily driver
    1981 2CV - The Amelie project is complete.
    1930 C6F torpedo - My Great Folly! Project under way.

1000+ Posts

Bridgestone was let into the fortress a while ago, so yep. Bridgestone tyres selected for new Peugeot 208

Fellow Frogger!

Nothing wrong in that. They make some good tyres.
    95 Peugeot 306 S16

Just bought a 3YO C5 Comfort in immaculate condition. 38,000 kms but tyres needed replacing. Having had great success with 2 sets of Continental Conti Comfort Contact CC5's on my 2003 Commodore, I thought I'd go with them on the C5. Tyrepower quoted $168 a tyre which seemed a good price, comparable with Kumhos and Toyos. However when they turned up, they turned out to be Cont Max Contact MC5 which I gather is the CC5 replacement. Sadly I have not been impressed. They don't seem to give the same level of ride comfort as the original Michelins on my friends C5, and they certainly are much noisier, the sound and noise level changing with every change in road surface. Does anyone know what Citroen specify as OE for C5's in the Continental range?

Fellow Frogger!

An update to my earlier posting,( going from memory is not a good idea with me ) had the tyre service check them out on friday & they definitely need replacing NOW however at $129 f&b Toyo teo 205/65r15 is good for me as they lasted 55k so the new ones go on tomorrow. cheers Dave

Fellow Frogger!

That sounds like a very good price!
    95 Peugeot 306 S16

Fellow Frogger!

Have 2 near new Michellin's (19") on the front of my 2012 C5 V6 (has done 30k), but receive a drumming noise from front right of vehicle; seems it is not uncommon ( C5 Tourer Road Noise - Problems and Fixes - C5 - Citroen Owners Club. The citroen cars forums ) and yet others say how quiet C5's are? If anyone has any tips on getting rid of the noise, would be much appreciated (I have raised it at recent service, but no solution)

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tomfrog View Post
    Citmen,I am looking to buying a set of tyres for my c5. Advice please on good and and which ones to avoid.Only have to last 5 yrs as by that time I most likley be over in the marble forest.Have I left my run too late? Regards TOMFROG
    Anecdote is fine & some guidance can be got from it but I would first work out what it is that you value in a tyre. There are various parameters of tyre performance & a tyre can't be good over a range of conflicting demands. So, comfort conflicts with handling crispness, longevity with wet grip & so on.

I'd go to Bob Jane's website & put in your tyre size & see what is available in that size. Do the same at Jax & Tyrepower to see if some further candidates come up (but be warned that the sites sometimes still list defunct tyres).

Then, armed with your short list go to Tyre Review's site at the following link & then go to the top right of the page. You'll see 'by tyre brand'. Click & then hunt down the tables for each of your short list. Once you're at a particular tyre, you'll find two sources of info: links to magazine tests featuring that tyre; & user reviews. Have a browse attending to how your tyres fare on the criteria of interest to you (which might not be the ones of interest to Citroen when choosing OE tyres; for instance, a manufacturer of mainstream stuff might want quiet, comfortable tyres with low rolling resistance & you might not care about these matters).

Tyre Articles - TyreReviews

cheers! Peter

Fellow Frogger!

I have used Michelin XM2 without any problems, claims low energy to save fuel. Not as high a performance tyre as some but I don't push it (speeding fines cost too much), feels fine to drive to me.

Regards

agd123

Froggers,

After much deliberation and a 2 month wait for stock, I did put four Primacy 3 tyres on my C5 X7 tourer with 17" wheels during July 2015. I see they feature quite well in some of the tyre reviews above but the blogs seem to show a wide range of experiences. I have found them much more comfortable than my 6 year old Primacy HPs and to have great grip and turn-in feel while still being fairly quiet. In short, I am very please so far and will have to wait for a while to comment on how they wear.

Cheers,

Ken W

1000+ Posts

The Primacy 3 is one of Michelin's better efforts across a spectrum of performance parameters. Generally, any Michelin below the PS3 is to be avoided if one has any interest at all in dynamic performance (as opposed to fuel saving, long life, quietness, comfort & so on) but the P3 is the exception.

I imagine that you'll be happy with them.

cheers! Peter

Fellow Frogger!

Need tyres for our C5 that has 19" wheels. Fairly sure the Michelin Primacy does not come in 245 x 40 x 19, so doesn't leave much. Current Michelin Pilot Sport 3 on the front have only done 20K and are close to needing replacement. Any suggestions?

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Thread Information