• Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ken W

Thread: Xantia CT not fuelling?

Fellow Frogger!

Default Xantia CT not fuelling?

Hi

The engine bay of my '98 Activa (turbo-4) was 'lightly' steam cleaned without my knowledge. Subsequently the car started normally 6 times and idled fine, no problem, although it was running for less than 20 minutes in total and not driven during that time.

During its next start a few days later the engine caught promptly as usual, but then immediately the revs 'flared' moderately for a second or two (exactly like a lawn mower running out of fuel) and then the engine stopped, never to fire or even pop again despite sufficient attempts over the next few weeks.

At my simpleton guess this no-start condition tells of no fuel delivery? Cranking speed is fine and the battery is excellent.

Unfortunately I admit to ignorance regarding anything electrical and btw my entire toolkit was recently stolen. And I cannot conclusively link the steam clean to this no-start failure. But before I descend into hiring a tow truck, may I ask the AF boffins:

Is there a specific fuse or gizmo relationg to this no-fuel condition which I could and should check, and if so, exactly where is it?

Also, any recommendations as to a high-quality Citroen expert repairer/maintainer in the Canberra region?

Advertisement

Thank you kindly for contributions or suggestions...

Do all the "normal" red/orange lights come on at the dash, when you switch the ignition on?

Series 1 or 2 car? Have you popped a spark plug lead onto a spare plug laying against the engine block, and looked for spark while it cranks?

What happens with a squirt of ether spray?

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Do all the "normal" red/orange lights come on at the dash, when you switch the ignition on?

Series 1 or 2 car? Have you popped a spark plug lead onto a spare plug laying against the engine block, and looked for spark while it cranks?

What happens with a squirt of ether spray?
    Thank you Addo.

Its an early Series 2 in otherwise great condition and yes all dash lights behave normally.

Unfortunately I have neither a spare plug (or even spanner now alas) or can of ether

To my amateur view the instance of it briefly revving (without throttle applied) gave every indication of it being fuel-supply related?

Quite possibly, but it is good practice to be sure.

The plug spanner and ether can will be less than a flatbed costs.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Quite possibly, but it is good practice to be sure.

The plug spanner and ether can will be less than a flatbed costs.
    You're right and of course your methodical approach makes sense.

I was crossing fingers in the faint chance it might perhaps be an relatively simple (and fixable by me?) blown fuse etc for the fuel pump or EFI or what have you. Its pathetic I know but anything deeper or more intricate is probably beyond my purview.

Thanks again for your trouble.

It may well be something simple. But whoever is going to fix it, needs to come in at the basic level first. Lexia might say something like "Oxygen sensor - temporary short circuit to ground" and the underinformed would say "Aha! It's the oxygen sensor"... Whereas in fact a fault like that can come as an engine splutters and struggles.

If you're feeling brave, run 12V direct from the battery to pin 3 on your fuel pump plug (thickish wire, not yellow or green or striped) using Scotchloks. If the car then starts and runs, you have a fuel pump power issue.

Ken,

In my experience with these Bosch based systems, the ECU gives the fuel pump relay about a one second hit when the ignition is first turned on. The ECU will only re-power the fuel pump relay if it is happy with the base set of sensors and getting a good CAS signal to say the engine is turning.

If I were you, I would disconnect the battery, take the lid of the ECU box that is on drivers side front of engine bay and give the ECU and double relay connectors a disconnect and reconnect (and clean with electrical cleaner if you have some). The engine ECU is the one with the boost pressure pipe going into it on the left. The brown double relay should be close by coming of the same loom as the engine ECU.

Reconnect the battery and wait a minute before trying a restart. You can hold the relay block in your hand and feel if it is clicking in for a second when the ignition is turned on and then back in once the starter motor is keyed. If there is not action, the ECU is not happy with something.

Cheers,

Ken W
    Last edited by Ken W; 22nd July 2014 at 05:08 PM. Reason: more suggestions
    nota likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Thank you very much for all this excellent advice from the wise, it's greatly appreciated!

I will go into attack mode this weekend, with fingers crossed, and relate any developments with my inactive Activa.

Fellow Frogger!

Default Yes

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    Thank you very much for all this excellent advice from the wise, it's greatly appreciated!

I will go into attack mode this weekend, with fingers crossed, and relate any developments with my inactive Activa.
    Follow the advice step by step , I print it out and just take steps, one after another , Im sure you can find the place this little bit of water has stopped you

Thread Information