Citroen CX Prestige 1982 - my 50th Bday Present
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Icon7 Citroen CX Prestige 1982 - my 50th Bday Present

Hello - Im new to this board - so glad I found it. Most of my fellow countrymen are now in Australia - I opted to remain behind in South Africa...

Got myself a 1982 CX Prestige 2400 the other day - wanted one for past 30 odd years since I saw it first in a CAR magazine.

So I noticed a few things:

Speedo not working
    Temp guage and Oil Presaure gauges not working
    Oil breather pipe connecting to Aircleaner gone

and of course some LHM leaking... must still trace the leak -- seems near resevour

Advertisement

Advice, links, manuals, and perhaps sources for afforable parts -- and emotional support -- much appreciated

Regards

Andries

Congratulations on your purchase! I know of only one 2400 injection Prestige here in Brisbane. A rare beast indeed. Enjoy
    Citroen C5 II manual '05; C4 Exculsive '07; Citroen CX2200 Pallas '76; CX2400 C-matic Pallas '78

CX Basis in Germany seems to be the place for CX parts, or even Citroen Andre in the Netherlands.

Congratulations - it's always a good feeling to finally have the car of your dreams. I did that 2 years ago after 30 years of dreaming (and saving) - well worth the effort.

Welcome to Aussiefrogs!
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Well done! Is it a manual out of interest, or an automatic?

I hope you have a wonderful time with the car. There's heaps of advice to be found here, and those two suppliers have been pretty good in my experience.

It's quite a rare car now, I guess like all CX models but more so.

Best wishes,

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoilstar View Post
    Hello - Im new to this board - so glad I found it. Most of my fellow countrymen are now in Australia - I opted to remain behind in South Africa...

Got myself a 1982 CX Prestige 2400 the other day - wanted one for past 30 odd years since I saw it first in a CAR magazine.

So I noticed a few things:

Speedo not working
    Temp guage and Oil Presaure gauges not working
    Oil breather pipe connecting to Aircleaner gone

and of course some LHM leaking... must still trace the leak -- seems near resevour

Advice, links, manuals, and perhaps sources for afforable parts -- and emotional support -- much appreciated

Regards

Andries
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Congratulations

Please post pics. Do you know the history of this car? Was it first sold new in South Africa?

Adrian

Current;

Xantia V6 Exclusive Auto 2000

Past;

CX25 GTI Turbo series 1 1985
    DS23 IE Pallas 5sp 1974
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984 Parts
    2CV 1988
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984

I have a 1983 CX Prestige. They don't have an oil pressure gauge, the gauge you can see there is an oil level gauge and they rarely work. Don't worry about it. I assume it is an auto, could be wrong; and is it a 2400ie. To source the LHM leak, clean the area thoroughly first so you can see exactly where it is coming from. Possible sources is the 4 junction thingy behind the engine on the reservoir side. Gets returns from steering gov, steering control and two others. Return line from the regulator and plenty of other little places.

Well worth while sorting as they make a great country cruiser or just for any job. Well able to deal with modern traffic. CX Basis is the place for spares.

Good luck and enjoy
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

JBN

Why don't you emigrate to Australia, meet all your old mates and if you bring your CX Prestige with you, you will make a lot more new mates over here.

It was while I lived in Jo'Burg in RSA in 1975/76 that I first saw a CX and fell in love with them. I subsequently owned one in Australia and one in the UK.

John

Ill get the histrory. Got an interesting email some time ago of a barn find of a cx in george. Was one of a batch imported by sol kerzner for opening of sun city. Pity i cudnt afford that one too cause it looked quiet neat having spent kost of its time not being used.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Citroen CX Prestige 1982 - my 50th Bday Present-image.jpg  

Hello Greg

than pfor info. Indeed its a level oil gauge. I didnt spend much time with the car yet. I work in rural SA and my car is with my dad in pretoria some 2 hours drive from here

automatic
    carbuerator
    right hand drive

lhm drips more or less next to left wheel from gearbox. Might be pump? Ive had gs clpub and knew that engine inside out... Cx is allll new to me
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Citroen CX Prestige 1982 - my 50th Bday Present-image.jpg  

Yeah right John and miss all the action with malema zpuma and the anc? Wish i cud emmigrate but guess im too old now.

I now hav a cx baby and he is gonna keep me occupied in spirit soul and wallet...
    Last edited by tinfoilstar; 14th July 2014 at 04:20 AM. Reason: Pic didnt attach

Default Cx prestige 2400 automatic -50th bday present

Thnx. Ill need everyones assistance. Years ago got rid of all my tools sold my gs x2 for R850 after it seized a piston. Having driven vw ever since ive become used to german cold efficiency. Always thought french cars need to be built by germans tho

1000+ Posts

Thnx. Ill need everyones assistance. Years ago got rid of all my tools sold my gs x2 for R850 after it seized a piston. Having driven vw ever since ive become used to german cold efficiency. Always thought french cars need to be built by germans tho
    Interesting afterthought;owned a Mercedes 600 which were also height adjustable but based on airbags. Two and a half tons,power everything,very fast and felt like a mini to drive but due to amount of hardware behind you had to be very aware when changing lanes. Design fault in steering box which ripped off chassis whilst rounding a corner at speed;managed to get around but instantly felt like a truck. Checked air bags after a few years and they had small hairlines appearing on airbags;price of these was $3200 each on counter,not fitted but on counter;4 needed. Sold it as did not fancy bankruptcy;spheres and oil relatively inexpensive and now run a 85cx25ieauto pallas.3 xantia's and a c5 which together are cheaper to run and maintain than the Merc. was;you will enjoy your cx,Andy.

Check your ORGA number as your specification and photo suggests your car was made earlier than 82, when it may have been sold / imported. You're looking for a stamped 4 digit number on the left hand inner mudguard possibly starting with 18, which you can then check online for a production date.
    The photo looks like it is a wide track front suspension with non-flared front wheel arch, which would make it an 81 (if European production - were they still assembling in RSA then?) at latest, like the Prestige I used to own was. Normally a European 81 would be fuel injected, but maybe the African export specs were different.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Citroen CX Prestige 1982 - my 50th Bday Present-1405356300700.jpg

First time with me at a garage to check oil level and tyre preassure.

Thanx for the information. Much appreciated.

Via the aussiefrogs App

Automatique... 3speed zf box. Still very smooth indeed.

Wish i had a pile of money strip him and rebuild from scratch. Just better than the french did.

I dont understand bad build quality of such fantasique design and avant garde concepts. One does not take shortcuts with inferior paint rust treatment engine parts i terior materials... Citroen CX Prestige 1982 - my 50th Bday Present-1405356545428.jpg
    Citroen CX Prestige 1982 - my 50th Bday Present-1405356731285.jpg

Via the aussiefrogs App

1000+ Posts

Automatique... 3speed zf box. Still very smooth indeed.

Wish i had a pile of money strip him and rebuild from scratch. Just better than the french did.

I dont understand bad build quality of such fantasique design and avant garde concepts. One does not take shortcuts with inferior paint rust treatment engine parts i terior materials... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1405356545428.jpg 
Views:	1692 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	58342
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1405356731285.jpg 
Views:	597 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	58343

Via the aussiefrogs App
    The only real problem is with the wiring which looks like a dog's breakfast. They probably built the car and suddenly realised they needed wiring so opened the bonnet and threw it in. Your listing of shortcomings is probably due to the fact that the D series sent them broke;if you had ever owned a D you would realise that it is all hand assembled at massive labour cost not like the robot assembled rubbish since. Were a D to be assembled today the cost would be astronomical,Andy.

Did you work out the problem with the speedo?

If the steering works correctly ie. light at slow speed, heavier when speed increases then the steering governor gets the speed information correcty and the problem is either in the splitter (it got two cables one to speedo, one to steering governor) or the speedo cable from the splitter to the speedometer. Let's hope it is the cable and not the splitter unit, they are sometimes difficult to source.
    C5 Touring 2008, CX 2400ie Prestige '81 (with dead gerbox), CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic '80, CX2400 Super Familiale C-Matic '79 (to be scrapped very soon) , CX2400i Familiale 5-spd (to be scrapped), GS 1220 Wagon '78 (next project), ID19 '64
    CX Register

What are the big circles in the farmland nearby? Are they "described" by irrigation booms?

Yes marble hall, groblersdal all feed from loskopdam irrigation scheme. Lemons table grapes vegetables. Lot for export. Stays green most year round. Perfect setting to drive my cx prestige. Open roads luttle traffic

Via the aussiefrogs App

Thnx. I havnt start3d to look at it. Just noticed the other day the steering was very slow to return to centre on its own while standing still. That was shortly after starting the car. Was already raised. Got ok later. Guess preasure lag??

Via the aussiefrogs App

Sphere pressure. The system only works 100% when all spheres are at the correct pressure. If you do a tight 3 point turn, I'll bet you will run out of assistance unless the main accumulator is up to pressure (62 bar)
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Ah that explains. It was firsf start of the day. Thereafter worked fine

Via the aussiefrogs App

More pics
    Citroen CX Prestige 1982 - my 50th Bday Present-1406393733546.jpg
    Citroen CX Prestige 1982 - my 50th Bday Present-1406393775544.jpg
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1406393733546.jpg 
Views:	411 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	58855

Via the aussiefrogs App

Some pics of where i see oil leaking

Citroen CX Prestige 1982 - my 50th Bday Present-1406393947393.jpg
    Citroen CX Prestige 1982 - my 50th Bday Present-1406394000912.jpg

Via the aussiefrogs App

Aaaawhh i sat in my cx again today. I live and work 2 hours drive away from where it is stored currently. Dont see it often.

Mission now is to stock with lhm
    Then to sort out oil leak
    Then start with insude trim that must be redone. Door panels need repkacibg refurbishment

Citroen CX Prestige 1982 - my 50th Bday Present-1406394174927.jpg
    Citroen CX Prestige 1982 - my 50th Bday Present-1406394244395.jpg
    Citroen CX Prestige 1982 - my 50th Bday Present-1406394280407.jpg

Via the aussiefrogs App

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information