1951 11bl
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Middlemoon.1

Thread: 1951 11bl

Default 1951 11bl

As you know I have been a little distracted with the idea of getting another D model into my life as frequent driving car. This continues, but I want all to know that the BL is centre focus and my goal is to prepare her for the 80th Anniversary of the Traction Avant Run in October. Provided I can get the leave (should know next week), I plan to be on that with 'Amelie' the BL (working title). See pictured.

Advertisement

But I'm in celebration mode tonight...A number of you know that I am an Old house fanatic as well as being into Cits. I moved two big old victorian houses and joined them together adjacent the Darebin Creek in Alphington. This project was competed about 5 years ago. But in this time I have not had a half decent shed (hence the pressure to sell on some cars etc at the time of construction). I wanted to re-produce the old style shed that had been attached to one of the houses, and had kept some of the bits. I've spent these school holidays re-producing the old barn door from it and now I have the shed sealed finally and Amelie tucked up. Great day sorting all the bits for completion today. So what sort of sheds are others working on their cars in? Post a pic of your car in your shed if you get a chance!

Tim1951 11bl-p7132222.jpg
    donat, 59 Floride and dogboy like this.

In the top right hand corner of the windscreen inside Harriet, Lance wrote under the oil change sticker, "Go for it - get a Traction!" I see this every morning and every afternoon.

Yours looks amazing.

I'll get there someday, but not without a shed to go around her first! Money would help, too.

Seeing the ones for sale week in and week out on Trademe goes to show that they're ripe for the picking (at least in NZ).
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Ha! Did he write that to you, or me?! He would normally write on mine, 'poor old ID...sorry you have to go back to cold Melbourne'.

I'm on the project if you know what I mean!

Tim

This possibly explains why I never get much done on my cars1951 11bl-imageuploadedbyaussiefrogs1405223487.607959.jpg1951 11bl-imageuploadedbyaussiefrogs1405223587.062840.jpg Often wish the shed was wider, but I'd probably just fill it with more junk.

The blue GS got out from under the cover and went for a drive today, I've yet to squeeze the DS3 back in front of it.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

We'll have to translate "The Castle" to the "Le Chateau"
    & all be "Bogan'niste"?
    "Ay Steve, can you move the Camira? I need to get the Torana out to get to the Commodore"
    Citroen C5 II manual '05; C4 Exculsive '07; Citroen CX2200 Pallas '76; CX2400 C-matic Pallas '78

Quote Originally Posted by Middlemoon.1 View Post
    As you know I have been a little distracted with the idea of getting another D model into my life as frequent driving car. This continues, but I want all to know that the BL is centre focus and my goal is to prepare her for the 80th Anniversary of the Traction Avant Run in October. Provided I can get the leave (should know next week), I plan to be on that with 'Amelie' the BL (working title). See pictured.

But I'm in celebration mode tonight...A number of you know that I am an Old house fanatic as well as being into Cits. I moved two big old victorian houses and joined them together adjacent the Darebin Creek in Alphington. This project was competed about 5 years ago. But in this time I have not had a half decent shed (hence the pressure to sell on some cars etc at the time of construction). I wanted to re-produce the old style shed that had been attached to one of the houses, and had kept some of the bits. I've spent these school holidays re-producing the old barn door from it and now I have the shed sealed finally and Amelie tucked up. Great day sorting all the bits for completion today. So what sort of sheds are others working on their cars in? Post a pic of your car in your shed if you get a chance!

TimClick image for larger version. 

Name:	P7132222.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	58233
    Hi Tim the 11BL is looking really good! Did you manage to install the steering swivel I supplied?
    I am in the process of getting all the little pieces chromed for mine! I hope to begin spraying this spring if the weather allows!
    Cheers Gerry

Indeed I did Gerry - the job worked out to be pretty straight-forward which was good. I'm still trying to to chasing some servicable shock absorbers (not really keen to spend 800 on them). For some reason they are outright missing on my car! Grateful for any leads...and thanks so much for the steering swivel.

Tim

Fellow Frogger

The shock absorbers would just have the normal eye at each end. Can you find something suitable at Repco or a suspension workshop like Pedders? Surely someone must have been there before and can tell you they are something for Holden or Ford etc..

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    The shock absorbers would just have the normal eye at each end. Can you find something suitable at Repco or a suspension workshop like Pedders? Surely someone must have been there before and can tell you they are something for Holden or Ford etc..
    Extended length and the stroke of the piston and damping rates of the valves are very important. There are some shocks out there that may look as though they will work but if the stroke is insufficient or the extension is too short they will soon be damaged. Especially on the rear suspension. I have seen the eye of one brand of shock ripped right of the body even though the unit was new!

I intend to re use the originals. They have a removable plug to allow refilling. I believe that the Paris cars were equipped with single action shocks. At least that is how mine react.

The shocks on my Light 15 are altogether another story. They are English Newtons and were OEM On the Slough cars. These are double acting and have the advantage of being fully serviceable. the top seal around the piston rod unscrews allowing the piston and inner cylinder to be withdrawn.

The valves can then be dismantled and rebuilt. I have found that LHM is a very good substitute for shock oil but some adjustment to the tensions on the damping disc valves needs to be made to get an equal feel on both load and rebound strokes.

To avoid a lot of mucking around it would be better to go for a new set
    Koni Citroen Traction 7 AND 11 Tourisme TAV 37 56 Classic Rear Shocks Dampers | eBay
    Koni Citroen Traction 7 AND 11 Tourisme TAV 37 56 Classic Front Shocks Dampers | eBay
    Above are some examples however they are expensive!
    Cheers Gerry

Maybe I'll have to bite the bullet....(looking like $1000 now for the Konis!). Ouch. I might save on the interior for a while....have the original seat fabric (had been well preserved under a layer of red vinyl. Your car will be magnificent, Gerry. Mine I fear will be rough diamond for a while....in a way good because I can get to know her before making decisions...

Tim

Fellow Frogger

For that sort of money you could even look at something like Spax adjustable rate shocks and then play with the damping as you feel the need. If you download the Spax 'Classic' catalogue (10Mb) here:
    Motorsport Tuning - Coilovers - Shocks - Suspension Kits - Lowering Springs
    You will find information about building your own shock absorbers to suit.

Koni list their suitable parts as being:
    Traction 7 and 11 Tourisme TAV 37-56 Classic Front 80-1114 Rear 80-1196

You could try to match those with something less costly from Boge, Woodhead, KYB, Gabriel, Monore etc.. I don't have any idea about this company as I've never dealt with them, but you may like to look at:
    Suspension Products, Lowering Springs, Shock Absorbers, Airbags, Lift Kits, Bushes, Sway Bars, Coilovers - Wholesale Suspension
    A company like that may be able to offer some alternatives to the Koni items.

Fellow Frogger!

A long time ago when Renault 4's* were a small part of our traffic, I had dampers rebuilt (a few times) by a company called SG Leslie, which I recall was in Heidelberg
    So old school they may no longer be the same people.
    Worth a look!

* Look, son, I can rebuild a shock, but these things work backwards.
    Give me a minute to think it through!

Thanks David, Looks interesting!

Tim

Tim have a look at CTA Netherlands
    CTA Service - 11CV
    Cheers Gerry

My marchal front lamp glasses have an attractive mauve tint. Very authentic looking! And they are in good condition. Will they pass a safety check for club permit though I wonder? Also, what year is this air cleaner from? I have the flatter type fitted but this is in my parts stash.

Tim1951 11bl-photo-9-.jpg

Those lens must be the 'Elizabeth Taylor' versions, tre chic!
    Brendan.

Bugger I was hoping for audrey hepburn!

Tim

Gerry all but the Koni appears to be out of stock!

Tim

Default 1951 11bl

Has anyone converted a TA to rear Hydropneumatic? No need for shocks then. I have a CX wreck with perfect suspension (rust overload otherwise & apart from the big six which did)
    Last edited by Jinandfonic; 19th July 2014 at 07:56 PM.
    Citroen C5 II manual '05; C4 Exculsive '07; Citroen CX2200 Pallas '76; CX2400 C-matic Pallas '78

Thread Information