• Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Rear brake wear on a Duck

How do you check the brake shoe wear on the rear brakes ,

Advertisement

you cant see in there

Thanks

You have to remove the brake drums.

Doing the Daffyduck dance via the AussieFrogs app. With a cane! gimp quack quack ow ow ow.

JBN

If you haven't removed the drums before, I would wait until you buy some new brake shoes and ideally a brake centering kit. That way, if the brakes are worn, you can replace them.

Sadly, the rear brakes on a 2CV (particularly a front disc brake model) are sorely neglected. Firstly, the adjusting mechanism, that relies on spring steel shims to hold the adjustment eccentrics in place tend to rust, so it is easy to not bother adjusting the brakes at all. Then the nut holding on the brake drum requires a triple breakfast to get the strength to undo it.

I have to adjust mine on the Charleston but am hanging off doing it until I get the parts. I am tossing up the idea of new drums/bearings/brake shoes or removing the existring drums and then seeing what needs to be replaced and order new bits, leaving the car jacked up and immobile whilst awaiting for the order.

The rear brake setup is not one of the best features of a 2CV.

John

Fellow Frogger!

Default Thanks

[QUOTE=JBN;1271298]If you haven't removed the drums before, I would wait until you buy some new brake shoes and ideally a brake centering kit. That way, if the brakes are worn, you can replace them.

Sadly, the rear brakes on a 2CV (particularly a front disc brake model) are sorely neglected. Firstly, the adjusting mechanism, that relies on spring steel shims to hold the adjustment eccentrics in place tend to rust, so it is easy to not bother adjusting the brakes at all. Then the nut holding on the brake drum requires a triple breakfast to get the strength to undo it.

I have to adjust mine on the Charleston but am hanging off doing it until I get the parts. I am tossing up the idea of new drums/bearings/brake shoes or removing the existring drums and then seeing what needs to be replaced and order new bits, leaving the car jacked up and immobile whilst awaiting for the order.

The rear brake setup is not one of the best features of a 2CV.

Ive got a couple of questions , seeing you guys are quite knowledgeable

Why does the nut have to be that tight , say I gave it 30 ft pounds not 250 , what would happen ?

And next,,, am I right that it has 2 brake circuits , one for front ,,, one for the back ?

Will my carbon handbrake ( people have been driving hand brake on ) pull me up in an emergency

Tadpole

I would like to clarify that in good Citroen tradition the 2CV handbrake works on the front wheels. So, it might be worth checking the fronts too.
    Back to the rear, 250ft pounds is important. Its the only thing holding the brakes assembly and wheel onto the car. Citroen has got the rear brakes pretty well right. Once set-up they only need occasional attention and as mentioned above adjustment is the key stopping the adjusters from corroding

JBN

Before you attempt to adjust the handbrake acting on the front discs, you need to get the special tool to hold the eccentrics in place whilst you tighten the nut.

The best time to attend to the handbrake is when the front discs need replacement. Buy replacement discs, disc pads and handbrake pads plus the handbrake adjustment tool. (Try 2CViking in France who is most helpful in supplying these items).

Armed with a Haynes manual, remove the calipers and the old discs. Replace the discs. Place the handbrake pads into the calipers and replace the calipers. Replace the disc pads. Then adjust the handbrake cable using the special tool so that the hanbrake cable comes on after 3 clicks and is fully applied at 5 clicks when pulling out the handbrake lever.

Both the rear brakes and the front brakes on a 2CV are best done from the point of view of doing the complete job, replacing more rather than less. Given the appreciating value of the 2CV, the typically low kilometres travelled, doing these jobs once, properly will probably last you for the rest of the time the car is in your care.

John

A very quick thread hijack....
    SWMBO never questions my 'over' expense on safety items in regard to the vehicle fleet.
    I always buy/use quality brake parts, name brand oils and premium tyres because I find it cheaper in the long run.
    With a 2CV and other older vintage vehicles of the more, Um, utilitarian type servicing may have been missed and when you decide to do the brakes...Replace whatever is required and more as required but before it's required.
    Brendan.

Fellow Frogger!

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bluey504 View Post
    A very quick thread hijack....
    SWMBO never questions my 'over' expense on safety items in regard to the vehicle fleet.
    I always buy/use quality brake parts, name brand oils and premium tyres because I find it cheaper in the long run.
    With a 2CV and other older vintage vehicles of the more, Um, utilitarian type servicing may have been missed and when you decide to do the brakes...Replace whatever is required and more as required but before it's required.
    Brendan.
    Brake parts and work coming up

Thread Information