74 D Special
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 Last
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: 74 D Special

Default 74 D Special

OK, hold me down everyone.

Having been awe-inspired by the monumental restoration efforts on D models as depicted on this forum, I started wondering about a later D model (I've only ever had 62 and 64 model Ids - for a long time - and am wedded to them). The efforts displayed across the country and extending to Darwin are just Herculean! So impressive...and such well-written posts! Better than any magazine I've ever known that's for sure. I've been on holidays and spent quite a bit of time reading about all of this work, and contributions by others in support of it - the collective wisdom is fantastic.

Anyway, I've happened across an original but tired 74 D Special 4 speed - and close to home. A cursory inspection showed pretty clear boot and floors. I'm going back today with fuel and battery...and hand pump(!)...to explore further. The owner is very genuine and top bloke, with heart firmly in the right place.

The thing is, there is no way I could embark on the extent of work that has occurred with some of these beauties, with my BL coming along and me still committed to long working hours. But I do miss a d to drive around in for this and that, and I wonder if I could get this D Special up to a suitable standard to run around in...stop me if you think you should! Will report further.

Tim

Advertisement

Icon12

Quote Originally Posted by Middlemoon.1 View Post
    OK, hold me down everyone.

Having been awe-inspired by the monumental restoration efforts on D models as depicted on this forum, I started wondering about a later D model (I've only ever had 62 and 64 model Ids - for a long time - and am wedded to them). The efforts displayed across the country and extending to Darwin are just Herculean! So impressive...and such well-written posts! Better than any magazine I've ever known that's for sure. I've been on holidays and spent quite a bit of time reading about all of this work, and contributions by others in support of it - the collective wisdom is fantastic.

Anyway, I've happened across an original but tired 74 D Special 4 speed - and close to home. A cursory inspection showed pretty clear boot and floors. I'm going back today with fuel and battery...and hand pump(!)...to explore further. The owner is very genuine and top bloke, with heart firmly in the right place.

The thing is, there is no way I could embark on the extent of work that has occurred with some of these beauties, with my BL coming along and me still committed to long working hours. But I do miss a d to drive around in for this and that, and I wonder if I could get this D Special up to a suitable standard to run around in...stop me if you think you should! Will report further.

Tim
    Tim,
    Take a camera along and get some pics up so that we are better informed to give advice

Love to see another D Special on the road, if it is relatively sound they make a great project. Of the later cars certainly nothing mechanical you couldn't attend to. . .

Look forward to your updates

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Thanks for reminding me, will put the camera on charge!

Tim

Completely agree with Chris.. And once sorted, they make an excellent car for almost every occasion!

Good luck- looking forward to some pictures!

OK - I'm assuming it's easy to change these over to red fluid? Only Kidding!!!

Tim
    Boyracer, GreenBlood and donat like this.

Go for it, or you will always regret it. Worst can happen is that you will garage it for three years until I get my current project done and then sell it to me for fraction of what it owes as I don't have room for any additional cars at present
    Hotrodelectric and alhantos like this.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

If it's a sounds reasonable car .... Even if it ends up sitting in your shed untouched.... You should never loose money on it. D's appear to be coming more collectable in time, and I can't see that changing.

The caveat on this of course is don't pull it into a million bits and leave them distributed over the house/shed/yards ..... Cars in a million bits are a worthless PITA (how do I know ).
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Wow, ok....pressure is on...will report.

Tim

Fellow Frogger

The chassis condition - i.e. rust is probably the major consideration as it will determine how you can tackle the project. Later cars are often particularly bad around the rear and in the roof rail. There is no rust-proofing inside most of the box sections. The boot floor itself is not a huge job, but the parts it is welded to are more involved. Have a good look at the back of the rear wheelarches and the bottom of the c-pillars, particularly near the seatbelt mountings.

Also remember that a camshaft oil leak might seem like a fairly minor issue, but is an engine out job like the clutch.

Tim, you know you want it. Should I stick up a dozen photos a really nice D Special just for encouragement. Good luck. Kevin

Agh! I might be needing discouragement! Thanks for the sentiment though Kevin!

Stop now. It's a third front povo spec.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Stop now. It's a third front povo spec.
    I reckon that'll really worry someone that's owned early ID19's for years .... He'll be very spoiled .... Power steering and all those fancy things like high back seats and heater with fans ..... LUXURY!
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Icon8 3rd front povo pack

Addo!

You are being a bit bloody cheeky! Go and have a quick sticky at my little album. I'll be in Junee in a couple of weeks and I may (?) have shouted you a beer if you managed to get down that way. But now that you tell me I have 3rd front povo pack I will just have to lock up 'the povo pack' and not let the neighbours see it ever again. Cheers, Kevin

Ok wish me luck...I'll see what happens and take some pics for you all. If there's life in the clutch, not a basket case rust wise (I already think it seems ok - famous last words), dryish underneath, no nasty knocks in the motor, she might be a goer. There is a tell-tale rusty line from the water pump so I reckon that will have to go west. Most panels are straight apart from a ding in the RHR door. Look this is spooky but I sat it it, looked across a damn good dash and wheel and thought - this car is not ready for oblivion. Just got to make sure it doesn't make me a candidate for same. It's very oxidised cream with ruby red interior. No seat rips but faded. Door cards great. All appeared complete but will report later. Tim
    lozenge likes this.

Yeah Tim you should get it if your wife said ok. I saw nice porsche parked next to my car today and driver was jealous of my ID19. Citroen D series are so special! I driven down Hume from Broadford with my Id for the first time... ahhh so effortless! Get one if think mechanically sound!
    It is true the saying "IF you build it, he will come" ! This instance Garage and he= Citroen D.
    1961 Citroen ID19(2010~), Holden Frontera(R.I.P 2002-2014), Honda Accord EURO(2006~)

I'm sure the thread starter basically was soliciting opinions.

My opinion on third front cars is just that! I don't like them, to me they're common and lack the striking aesthetic characteristics of the original and second front cars yet bring little more to the table than swivelling headlights.

I would only suggest someone buy something I thought poorly of, if I thought poorly of that person!
    donat likes this.

Go for it, Tim. Extra grunt, power steering, latex seats, turning headlights. The only thing to dislike is the exterior door handles.

Roger

Hi All,

I gotta say the car felt friendly. Addo, I know exactly where you are coming from so all good. Good single headlight cars are thin on the ground, and you've virtually got to know the seller personally these days. This particular D deserves a future for sure. I poked around the classic rust places, and I would give her a 6 out of 10. There's work to be done, but not a basket case, that much is certain. I'm only talking about the chassis as we all know the remainder is beside the point really but the panels are servicable in general. One belted one. Boot has been completely redone at some point. Looks to be an acceptable job, but still vulnerable.

Put my battery in, and topped up the fuel. She wanted to start but just couldn't quite. Pulled off the dizzy cap and therein lay the issue - needs plugs leads and points, and new cap. All well worn. Engine turns smoothly. I'd like to get her running and have arranged a trip back once I find a distributor cap and plugs. Who sells these in Melbourne? Water pump needs replacing but no signs of overheating. Coolant is green! (could have knocked me over with a feather...expected brown soup). Still working it out, but it's got potential I would have thought.
    74 D Special-p7082211.jpg74 D Special-p7082212.jpg74 D Special-p7082208.jpg74 D Special-p7082209.jpg74 D Special-p7082213.jpg74 D Special-p7082215.jpg74 D Special-p7082218.jpg74 D Special-p7082219.jpg74 D Special-p7082220.jpg74 D Special-p7082221.jpg

Icon7

Buy the truck instead.

Yes addo, I congratulated the young owner on that Dodge ute. Nice machine.

Tim

Tim,
    A good D Special can be a wonderful thing. I reckon they make a great easily serviceable daily driver. Personally I always felt the harder I drove mine the more it liked it. There does seem like quite a bit of work there.

Good luck, I'm sure if you rescue it, it at least will be another survivor.

mb

I can almost smell it looking at the photos. One of the special things about old French cars, how do they do it. Looks like it needs a bit of work, much better than being seduced by a good looking example that is rusty underneath. It has red seats so definitely needs rescuing.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Interior looks good. Engine room looks neat just like my iD. It looks simple enough... Body need a lot of attention yes?
    It looks like fun project!
    1961 Citroen ID19(2010~), Holden Frontera(R.I.P 2002-2014), Honda Accord EURO(2006~)

Hi Tim,

As a prospect for a daily driver the DSpecial would have to be the best choice. The lack of extra trim and the clean lines means a lot less work fiddling with trim, and arguably reflects the DS shape with more purity than Pallas versions, bullet proof 1985cc engine and 4-speed with tons of spares floating about if required.

These days the one thing that affects the prospects of a D as a restoration project it's chassis rust. Everything else is fixable.

Guaranteed there will be chassis rust - it just depends on how bad it is.

With a large flat blade screwdriver probe...

1. The seam between the bottom inner sill and the floor.
    2. The base of the C-pillars - looking upward with the rear guards off.
    3. Remove the anti-roll bar cover and check the seam between the back seat cross member and boot floor.
    4. The floor edges in the fuel tank cavity (if you can remove the cover)
    5. Peel back the front windscreen seal to look at the windscreen frame.
    6. Front jacking points.
    7. Rear bumper mounts.

If it's really rusty in the chassis then the amount of work increases exponentially - the repairs are relatively simple and inexpensive if doing the work yourself - they just take a lot of time.

Good luck...!

Cheers,

Mark...
    Last edited by ds21bvh; 8th July 2014 at 10:09 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread Information