• Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Middlemoon.1
  • 1 Post By robmac

Thread: Camshaft regrinding

Fellow Frogger!

Default Camshaft regrinding

With the demise of Wade cams earlier this year, can anyone advise who in Victoria could regrind a DS19 camshaft.
    roger

Advertisement

OMG Wades are gone????????
    The country is really going to the pack!
    Bloody politicians attitude to Aussie manufacturing,@#&^%$!**&!!!!!
    Cheers Gerry

Highly recommended is Clive Cams of Ferntree Gully:

4/35 Clyde St, Ferntree Gully VIC 3156
    (03) 9758 5977

Cheers,

Tim
    85Fuego likes this.

I found this on "MiniDriver":

Clive Cams have taken on all of the Masters that Wade have made over the last 50 years, including all the A series profiles.

Clive Cams.
    (03) 9758 5977

"For those of you not yet aware, after over 50 years in business Wade Cams have closed down.
    We are acquiring some of their machinery as well as all of their profiles and are beginning the process of moving everything to our factory this weekend.
    We appreciate your patience over the next few weeks while we sort everything out but we are excited to see where these additions will take us.
    We would not be where we are today if it wasn't for George Wade and Wade Cams. We wish Chris, Keith and Neville all the best in their future endeavours"
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Default Slightly off topic : PAUL ENGLAND PASSED AWAY LAST MONTH

Another one of early pioneers of Australian automotive engineering has passed.I completely missed the fact he has passed away last month.

Paul England and staff was based in North Melbourne and was the renown in the sixties and early 70s for crank balancing and engine building.

I remember his 4wd Hill Climb vehicle with 2 x red hot mini engines powering it. A friend and ally of Peter Manton and BMC fraternity

Paul England's business morphed in bigger things (literally) and now jet engine components and big machines.

Paul England - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

HERALD SUN TRIBUTES

Paul England | Shaft Balancing | Crankshaft Balancing | Equipment Balancing | Dynamic Balancing Melbourne

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Middlemoon.1 View Post

(03) 9758 5977

Cheers,

Tim
    Thanks Tim.
    roger

Quote Originally Posted by Middlemoon.1 View Post

(03) 9758 5977

Cheers,

Tim
    I second that. We had a factory over the fence from them. Top blokes and I think good with cylinder heads too.

SF

Fellow Frogger!

If our government had not introduced the double taxation act in 1953, Australia would still have the best manufacturing base in the world but when foreign companies enjoyed a tax free holiday here, our companies could not compete and so closed, then the multi nationals balckmailed our government for millions just to stay here and milk us dry, now this has been achieved, they are moving home while we are still wondering what happened and doing nothing .

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Another one of early pioneers of Australian automotive engineering has passed.I completely missed the fact he has passed away last month.

I remember his 4wd Hill Climb vehicle with 2 x red hot mini engines powering it.
    I seem to recall that it had 2 x Volkswagen engines, supercharged?
    roger

Quote Originally Posted by lhs2.1 View Post
    I seem to recall that it had 2 x Volkswagen engines, supercharged?
    roger
    Hi Roger,

You are possibly correct.

I was in my late teens when I saw his car at Templestowe Hill Climb? So my memory has faded.

In fact, you are correct, I did a search and turned up a post by Ray Bell (wash-out-your-mouth) on another forum:

"His great creation for this task was also called an Ausca, featuring an enlarged VW flat four at each end, each one driving its own pair of wheels. The front engine was smaller, 1800cc, and also drove the supercharger that fed both engines, the rear engine was 2200cc or thereabouts. Always thinking, he had a spare engine in case one gave trouble. It was a neat 2-litres, so it could go either end! He won the Australian Hillclimb Championship in 1970, 1973 and 1974."

cheers

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Hi Roger,

You are possibly correct.

I was in my late teens when I saw his car at Templestowe Hill Climb? So my memory has faded.

In fact, you are correct, I did a search and turned up a post by Ray Bell (wash-out-your-mouth) on another forum:

"His great creation for this task was also called an Ausca, featuring an enlarged VW flat four at each end, each one driving its own pair of wheels. The front engine was smaller, 1800cc, and also drove the supercharger that fed both engines, the rear engine was 2200cc or thereabouts. Always thinking, he had a spare engine in case one gave trouble. It was a neat 2-litres, so it could go either end! He won the Australian Hillclimb Championship in 1970, 1973 and 1974."

cheers

Rob
    Alas. So right regarding his hillclimb efforts. Is this the Ausca at Collingrove, with all four wheels spinning on the start line? That's how I had the slide labelled Fabulous to see him in those days.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Camshaft regrinding-paul-england-collingrove-1980s.jpg  
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

Thats 3.8 litre supercharged ,powering something ,that weight 3/5 of not very much ,and he lived to tell the tale ,those were the days

Quote Originally Posted by pugwash View Post
    Thats 3.8 litre supercharged ,powering something ,that weight 3/5 of not very much ,and he lived to tell the tale ,those were the days
    It was before underpant sizes went metric and just as well. There's a great tradition in outrageously fast and eccentric hillclimb cars. I've seen some amazing machines in UK too. Paul England's engineering was really up there with the best I reckon. RIP.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Alas. So right regarding his hillclimb efforts. Is this the Ausca at Collingrove, with all four wheels spinning on the start line? That's how I had the slide labelled Fabulous to see him in those days.
    The wheel spin at the start caused issues for the time keepers.

In those days the timing was pretty crude. The timing was started by a pair of brass contact strips with a piece of foam rubber in between at the back as an insulator.

The contacts were placed in front of a non driven wheel, as the car started the brass contacted closed.

Paul's car had a 5 th (small jockey) wheel at the rear to close the contacts. After he tore up a few timing "forks".
    Leconte likes this.

Thread Information