C5 Cigarette lighter
  • Register
  • Help

Default C5 Cigarette lighter

Has anyone any clues about how to remove and replace the cigarette lighter in a 2010 C5 Comfort? The lighter in the C5 I have recently bought, apparently has had at some stage in the past, a major meltdown . The Dealer from whom I purchased the otherwise immaculate vehicle has kindly supplied a new unit, but he is in Adelaide and I am in Margaret River W.A.
    I only want the lighter socket to work so that I can plug in my phone/GPS etc to charge them.
    Not sure whether the lighter fitting can just be levered out and withdrawn somehow, or whether the whole ash-tray and lighter socket has to be removed as a unit and then un-assembled.

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger

Look at the new unit to see how it is secured. Older units had a screw-on back, but I'd be thinking the recent ones slide into a transparent plastic surround, which should clip into the panel. It may have a couple of prongs on the plastic portion that bend in as you fit it and then prevent it coming out.

Default C5 cigarette lighter

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Look at the new unit to see how it is secured. Older units had a screw-on back, but I'd be thinking the recent ones slide into a transparent plastic surround, which should clip into the panel. It may have a couple of prongs on the plastic portion that bend in as you fit it and then prevent it coming out.
    Thanks. I suspect you are right. However the old unit is must reluctant to be withdrawn.

Looking at the new one, it does appear that it just pushes into place and locks, but it has so many clips and grooves it's hard to see what actually locks it in place. I'm reluctant, of course, to try and lever it out with a screwdriver for fear of damaging the plastic lighter mounting. Probably needs a special Citroen tool (sigh!)

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Thanks. I suspect you are right. However the old unit is must reluctant to be withdrawn.

Looking at the new one, it does appear that it just pushes into place and locks, but it has so many clips and grooves it's hard to see what actually locks it in place. I'm reluctant, of course, to try and lever it out with a screwdriver for fear of damaging the plastic lighter mounting. Probably needs a special Citroen tool (sigh!)
    Is the ashtray next to the lighter (yes, dumb question, but we never saw the C5 in any form, so )? What you might be able to do is pull the ashtray, then by feel pop one of the securing tabs whilst wriggling the socket. Then as you can either hook your finger around the other side of the socket and repeat, or rotate the socket around until you can reach the other side. Try not to let the one side you already have pressed through pop back down. Yah, it's a pain in the tuchas. You'll need a small can of patience here. A more barbaric method is breaking the securing tabs off the old socket.

Can you pull the panel?
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

1000+ Posts

It's behind the silver flap in front of the auto "wand".
    C5 Cigarette lighter-129267024.jpg

1000+ Posts

A clearer pic
    C5 Cigarette lighter-output.jpg

I just climbed out in the cold and dark to look at mine. You'll have to take off the silver gear stick surround.

Now to find out how to do that.....
    Last edited by seasink; 1st July 2014 at 07:04 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Allen,

Here is a new cigarette lghter for you:

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/112034-bit-laugh.html

I'd say that if you contact this guy's wife, that if you take it off their hands she will pay to have it freighted to you as well.

cheers leconte
    Last edited by Leconte; 1st July 2014 at 08:32 PM.
    1962 Heidelberg ID19 "Axel"
    1965 Heidelberg ID19
    half owner 1974 GS 1220 Convertisseur Break

1000+ Posts

Even funnier to see the look on her face when it comes back for a refund - it won't fit.

The metal sleeve in the lighter bore, probably has two "leaves" that must be pulled in as it is drawn outwards. Try using one of the little seal pick tools.

There should be no need for any deeper level of dismantling.

Default C5 Cigarette lighter

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    The metal sleeve in the lighter bore, probably has two "leaves" that must be pulled in as it is drawn outwards. Try using one of the little seal pick tools.

There should be no need for any deeper level of dismantling.

All well guys . Thanks for the responses (couldn't open the web-link though. Not to worry).

Fiddling with the new lighter I was sent, I eventually found that it just needed a small screwdriver inserted between the s/s insert and the amber colored plastic outer sleeve to lever the two parts apart. Once the s/s insert had been withdrawn and the electric harness detached, the plastic surround followed .

Owing to the catastrophic melt-down the unit seemed to have suffered, the little blue plastic lighting unit had become detached and had fallen into the void behind. I should be able to fish this out with a piece of wire tomorrow, and then install the new unit: first the amber plastic surround and then the s/s insert with its mini lighting unit attached the and harness, all of which should simply be a push fit into the outer amber plastic sleeve. Will let you know.

Final post on this. As soon as I tried to fish out the little blue lamp holder, it fell down into the nether regions of the vehicle, and there it shall remain. The new lighter unit has the lamp unit attached, so no worries. Had a terrible time trying to get the new unit in place. You have to push the amber plastic surround in first and align it in the mounting, which it didn't seem to want to do. When I eventually got it in place, I then pushed the s/s lighter part in only to find the light didn't work. When I went to remove it all again, the S/S insert jammed half way out, and for the next 45 minutes it seemed that it would stay like that forever! Eventually I managed to lever it apart again without breaking anything, but that took over half an hour. I re-assembled it and before putting it all back, checked that the light actually worked. It then occurred to me to make an alignment mark with a black pen on the two parts so I could be sure everything would slide in correctly, and this time it did. So maybe I got it wrong the first time.

End of story.

1000+ Posts

You confused me - I thought you wanted to remove the black plastic lighter housing with the light, rather than just the socket. The housing looks as though it will be trickier, though it would give enough space to find the dropped bit.

Allen,

Does this pic from Citroen Service help?

Cheers,

Ken W
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thread Information