Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By k eeles
  • 1 Post By ds21bvh
  • 1 Post By FIVEDOOR
  • 2 Post By Bruce H

Thread: 2014 Grand Display of French Cars - Brisbane - 06 July 2014

Default 2014 Grand Display of French Cars - Brisbane - 06 July 2014

Grand Display of French Cars
    The grandly named “Grand Display of French Cars” (GDFC) has been held annually in Brisbane for over thirty years. The event is organised by the three main French car clubs on a rotational basis:
    · Citroen Car Club of Queensland Inc. (CCCQ)
    · Peugeot Car Club of Queensland Inc. (PCCQ)
    · Renault Car Club of Queensland Inc. (RCCQ)
    The Queensland chapter of the Simca Car Club of Australia also supports the event.
    In 2014, the GDFC is being organised by the RCCQ, with assistance from the other clubs.The GDFC has traditionally been held on a Sunday in early July, in an attempt to link the GDFC with the celebration of Bastille Day (14 July).
    The GDFC starts at about
    8.30am and finishes by 4.00pm or earlier. All of the three main clubs have ‘incorporated’ status and all maintain appropriate ‘Public Liability’ and other insurances.
    Cars on display will be arriving from about 7.00am and most will have arrived by 8.30am.

This year, the GDFC will be held on:
    SUNDAY 6 JULY at the MURARRIE RECREATION RESERVE, on Wynnum Road, Cannon Hill.

We expect there to be 150 to 200 cars being on display, with ages ranging from 100 years old to currentmodels. The largest number of cars is likely to be about 30 to 60 years old.
    Attendance by the general public is encouraged and entry for spectators is free. However, a $2 donation will provide them with the opportunity to win a ‘lucky gate prize’ and to vote for the ‘People’s Choice Award’. The cost to display a car is $10. The event operates on a ‘non-profit’ basis and any surplus is retained only to help improve the event in future.
    Food and drinks will be available on site at moderate cost.

Advertisement

Default Only 6 'sleeps' till Brisbane Grand Display of French Cars

[QUOTE=harrisonati;1267361]
    The grandly named “Grand Display of French Cars” (GDFC) has been held annually in Brisbane for over thirty years. The event is organised by the three main French car clubs on a rotational basis:
    The Queensland chapter of the Simca Car Club of Australia also supports the event.
    In 2014, the GDFC is being organised by the RCCQ, with assistance from the other clubs.The GDFC has traditionally been held on a Sunday in early July, in an attempt to link the GDFC with the celebration of Bastille Day (14 July).
    The GDFC starts at about
    8.30am and finishes by 4.00pm or earlier. All of the three main clubs have ‘incorporated’ status and all maintain appropriate ‘Public Liability’ and other insurances.
    Cars on display will be arriving from about 7.00am and most will have arrived by 8.30am.

We expect there to be 150 to 200 cars being on display, with ages ranging from 100 years old to currentmodels. The largest number of cars is likely to be about 30 to 60 years old.
    Attendance by the general public is encouraged and entry for spectators is free. However, a $2 donation will provide them with the opportunity to win a ‘lucky gate prize’ and to vote for the ‘People’s Choice Award’. The cost to display a car is $10. The event operates on a ‘non-profit’ basis and any surplus is retained only to help improve the event in future.

Start polishing your car tonight!
    It will be a great day, whether you display your car or just come to look!

Quote Originally Posted by harrisonati View Post
    The GDFC starts at about

Only one day now to scrub up your Citroen. GDFC is on Sunday 06 July!!

Harrisonati

Battery charged; car washed; sunroof removed, realigned and refitted; and partially polished. See you all tomorrow.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Default Lust.....and a french model

Saw Mark's DS21 to at the Brisbane FCD. Finished at 1.30am and won the best Citroen that afternoon. Fantastic job Mark. Mere jealously is not enough. Cheers.
    dieseldo likes this.

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by k eeles View Post
    Saw Mark's DS21 to at the Brisbane FCD. Finished at 1.30am and won the best Citroen that afternoon. Fantastic job Mark. Mere jealously is not enough. Cheers.
    What a perfect and well deserved outcome for Mark - Congratulations

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014 Grand Display of French Cars - Brisbane - 06 July 2014-1-ds21.jpg   2014 Grand Display of French Cars - Brisbane - 06 July 2014-2-ds21.jpg  
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

That's awesome piece of work.

My personal favourite was:-

2014 Grand Display of French Cars - Brisbane - 06 July 2014-p1120035.jpg2014 Grand Display of French Cars - Brisbane - 06 July 2014-p1120040.jpg2014 Grand Display of French Cars - Brisbane - 06 July 2014-p1120044.jpg2014 Grand Display of French Cars - Brisbane - 06 July 2014-p1120033.jpg

but I may be slightly biased
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Hi Chris. I will give a 2 year break to finish yours.....maybe 3. Then it will be your turn. I saw you there today but your 'disappearing act' beat me. Cheers. K

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by FIVEDOOR View Post
    That's awesome piece of work.

My personal favourite was:-

but I may be slightly biased
    Pig was awesome alright, you know it's heart is Citroen?

Quote Originally Posted by k eeles View Post
    Hi Chris. I will give a 2 year break to finish yours.....maybe 3. Then it will be your turn. I saw you there today but your 'disappearing act' beat me. Cheers. K
    Sorry I missed you, we were on a mission and gave ourselves 2 hours at the event. Great day, great turnout, great company

2 - 3 years might get my car on the road but it will never be in the same class as DS21, what a stunner!

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    Pig was awesome alright, you know it's heart is Citroen?
    Cheers
    Chris
    Thats ok, so long as it puts a smile on the face of the owner, when he takes it out.
    Every day is a good day

The winning Hover craft 2014 Grand Display of French Cars - Brisbane - 06 July 2014-imageuploadedbyaussiefrogs1404694228.330764.jpg
    Citroen C5 II manual '05; C4 Exculsive '07; Citroen CX2200 Pallas '76; CX2400 C-matic Pallas '78

Another nice little attendee

2014 Grand Display of French Cars - Brisbane - 06 July 2014-p1110990.jpg
    Every day is a good day

Default Thank you...

Many thanks for the kind words guys... it's very much appreciated...

I also wanted to thank everyone very much for their kind words of encouragement on the day... it meant a lot to me and I was completely humbled by all the positive comments. Having never won anything like this in my life I was more than a bit stunned - and of course I am extremely grateful.

I had a lot of help from a lot of kind people, without whom the car would not have been finished....

Rubbing off the last of the polish at 1:30am the morning of the Grand Display I was wondering if I was a bit mad trying the get the car there on the day... I was still picking up bits I missed on the day...LOL

It was a beautiful day if not a little chilly - and there was strong support from all three camps with a huge selection of fabulous cars. It was great to see the enthusiasm for French cars as strong as ever...

Can't wait for next year now...

All the best,

Mark...
    Last edited by ds21bvh; 7th July 2014 at 10:04 PM.
    dieseldo likes this.

Very nice photos sounds like everyone had a great day.
    Citroën's that own me

- 2008 C5 X7 Tourer (Estate) 2.7 DoubleTurbo Diesel UHZJ - V6.

Citroën's that formally owned me

- 1990 BX TRI Estate Manual. .. . "Phoenix" - "Donated to Science"
    - 1990 BX TRI Estate Auto. (Traded In)
    - 1987 BX TRI Hatch.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Australian Citroen BX - All about the Citroen BX in Oz
    -------------------------------------------------------------

"2 - 3 years might get my car on the road but it will never be in the same class as DS21, what a stunner!"

Chris, my car will never be a DS21 either.But just to irritate the 'purists' the DS on the front plate tells me it is.

Driving the from Brisbane to Jindabyne, across the Snowy Mountains Highway to Tumut, Gundagai, Junee and then up through central west to Gulgong, Gunnedah and the New England Highway back to Brisbane twice a year is something I cherish. Bugger the signage the boot lid. It doesn't matter but I'll still swap Mark cars if (!!!) he was interested in a clean swap. When your car is back on the road I'd be happy to accompany you on such a trip. But you have to enjoy/endure trout fishing for a week! Addo knows that Gundagai- Junee road as a 'driver's' road, also. Cheers. Kevin

As usual, a wonderful range of cars were displayed, showing their owners' care and dedication. I particularly enjoyed seeing DS21, but was also pleased to see the H camper and the 2 Amis.
    For some owners it was a matter of which of their various Citroen models to bring, but it was nonetheless interesting to note models that had minimal or no representation in the display.
    Queensland registration figures (from a couple of years ago) make it unsurprising that there will be a good roll up of 2CV's, but from what I recall there was no representation of 2 cylinder vans, Dyanes or Meharis.
    Tractions had come out in force for a club event last month, but few appeared at GDFC.
    D's are well represented in the Qld registration figures, but not so many appeared this year as in the past. Those that did showed a wide range of variants, early to late, cabriolet to Safari.
    No SM's this year.
    1 GS.
    A good roll up of CX variants, given the few that are still registered.
    1 BX 16Valve.
    No AX's, but given the handful registered not surprising.
    An early and a late XM.
    A few Xantias, not representative of the number that were still registered a couple of years ago (are they disappearing that quickly?)
    No Xsaras.
    One of each series of C3, and a couple of examples of both of C4, and a few C5's, and a C6.
    No Picasso's that I recall, no Berlingos.
    Cullen's brought a new 4 and a DS3 cabrio.

Speaking to members from the Renault and Peugeot ranks it was noted they they also had some models that completely lacked representation, sometimes including the more "popular in their day" models like the R16 and the 306.

Are participants only collecting the more unusual variants these days, was it just co-incidence in what got displayed on Sunday, or are people not displaying their cars if they perceive them as not "show quality"/ rather ordinary (or did I just get a distorted perception of what was around on the day)?
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Did someone mention the H camper

2014 Grand Display of French Cars - Brisbane - 06 July 2014-p1120014.jpg
    TonvanGeffen likes this.
    Every day is a good day

a couple more. the rest I have are just a repeat of what others have posted. Cheers. K2014 Grand Display of French Cars - Brisbane - 06 July 2014-26v.jpg2014 Grand Display of French Cars - Brisbane - 06 July 2014-ami-6.jpg

Couple of nice looking older ladies

2014 Grand Display of French Cars - Brisbane - 06 July 2014-p1120015.jpg2014 Grand Display of French Cars - Brisbane - 06 July 2014-p1120016.jpg
    Every day is a good day

2014 Grand Display of French Cars - Brisbane - 06 July 2014-imageuploadedbyaussiefrogs1405159625.592526.jpg Colours of the flag

Via the aussiefrogs App
    frog and Jinandfonic like this.
    Bruce H

I think we can do that in our backyard with BX's!

Thread Information