damaged sphere, replacement and temporary fis
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Ken W
  • 2 Post By DoubleChevron

Thread: damaged sphere, replacement and temporary fis

Default damaged sphere, replacement and temporary fis

I noticed on a routine inspection that I have a damaged sphere (see pic) in my silver bx16v and I am losing a bit of LHM. I rock or curb must have damaged it. I haven't noticed much problems in the suspensions or brakes accept a small loss of LHM over an extended period of time.

Advertisement

Where can I find a replacement sphere and does anyone know how to temporary fix the leak until a new sphere arrives?

damaged sphere, replacement and temporary fis-imag0255.jpg

Jorgen,

The picture doesn't look very specific to it being a sphere leak. It could be coming from loose connections of the top of the hydraulic regulator, a leaky FDV or a weapy (starting to break) return line from either of these components.

You could depressurise the regulator and take the sphere off, fit a new seal and replace but I think you will have to clean up the area and then see when you start the car where it seeps from.

Cheers,

Ken W
    UFO likes this.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
    Jorgen,

The picture doesn't look very specific to it being a sphere leak. It could be coming from loose connections of the top of the hydraulic regulator, a leaky FDV or a weapy (starting to break) return line from either of these components.

You could depressurise the regulator and take the sphere off, fit a new seal and replace but I think you will have to clean up the area and then see when you start the car where it seeps from.

Cheers,

Ken W
    If leak was the sphere, it would be a massive high pressure leak. That damage looks like chisel damage from someone removing it without a strap wrench too me.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    UFO and SLC206 like this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger!

Once in place and not leaking, a sudden leak from a sphere itself could only possibly be if the end cap blew out in which case it would be a high pressure leak ( has happened to me). A thorough clean of the area and inspection is the best way to go, as mentioned earlier. A damaged high pressure pipe from the accumulator through rubbing ( pin hole) could more likely be the problem ( also has happened to our BX16V).

First step - clean the whole area really well, then drive the car and track the actual source of the leak.

There are many potential causes of leaks in that area, and a faulty or leaking sphere is one of the least likely.

Hi guys, I wasn't thinking straight, ofcourse Shane is right. The sphere is damaged, but not to a point of failure and if it was weeping it would be a high pressure leak.

After cleaning the area a bit better, it seems there are two small leak issues and nothing to do with the sphere as you all mention. Unfortunally I had only 20 min (and 10 of that was lost investigating out why the idle speed was too high, until I noticed that the outer throttle cable was sitting incorrectly as I was checking things :-) ) to have a look and I will need to investigate further to see what the exact cause is.

I have established that there is a small LHM leak. I think that loose connections could be right as it appears to be coming from on top, it requires some attention in the near future, but nothing real urgent. It has been there since I purchased the car a couple of months ago the sphere was really dirty and I hadn't noticed the marks before.

What tricked me is a small to medium coolant leak (also green fluid) (that I could not locate at the moment) in the proximity of the sphere. It ran on top of the sphere via the hoses and when I quickly cleaned the sphere, the green coolant came straight back and I mistook it as weeping LHM through the sphere. The coolant came extra quick as I just topped up the resevoir.

I will need to inspect the coolant system thoroughly and when I started to move the hoses some more fluid appeared. When I moved the hoses a bit, the coolant didn't run over the sphere. The picture below shows the sphere is ok.

damaged sphere, replacement and temporary fis-imag0257.jpg

Fellow Frogger!

You probably already know, but if tightening a H P metal pipe join nut, there is a danger if over tightened its rubber seal will become distorted and the union will leak. So tighten firmly but not too much.

Fellow Frogger

Lie under the car for a while and you'll learn to tell the difference between your coolant and LHM by taste alone.

Quote Originally Posted by jorgen View Post
    Hi guys, I wasn't thinking straight, ofcourse Shane is right. The sphere is damaged, but not to a point of failure and if it was weeping it would be a high pressure leak.

After cleaning the area a bit better, it seems there are two small leak issues and nothing to do with the sphere as you all mention. Unfortunally I had only 20 min (and 10 of that was lost investigating out why the idle speed was too high, until I noticed that the outer throttle cable was sitting incorrectly as I was checking things :-) ) to have a look and I will need to investigate further to see what the exact cause is.

I have established that there is a small LHM leak. I think that loose connections could be right as it appears to be coming from on top, it requires some attention in the near future, but nothing real urgent. It has been there since I purchased the car a couple of months ago the sphere was really dirty and I hadn't noticed the marks before.

What tricked me is a small to medium coolant leak (also green fluid) (that I could not locate at the moment) in the proximity of the sphere. It ran on top of the sphere via the hoses and when I quickly cleaned the sphere, the green coolant came straight back and I mistook it as weeping LHM through the sphere. The coolant came extra quick as I just topped up the resevoir.

I will need to inspect the coolant system thoroughly and when I started to move the hoses some more fluid appeared. When I moved the hoses a bit, the coolant didn't run over the sphere.
    I reckon the best advice is to clean everything really thoroughly, jack it up really safely (wooden blocks, axle stands etc) and then get underneath with a good light source, engine running, and have a really good look at what is going on. You can smell coolant, let alone taste it! Look from the top too of course.

Leaks at pipe joints on the whole assembly that this sphere attaches to are not that unusual. And others... You just have to look really closely when the car is hot (coolant) and running (high pressure on LHM).

Best of luck.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information