OXY SET >>>> with no bottle rental?? Is no longer a dream in Australia
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DoubleChevron

Thread: OXY SET >>>> with no bottle rental?? Is no longer a dream in Australia

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Default OXY SET >>>> with no bottle rental?? Is no longer a dream in Australia

Coregas ? Trade N Go Gas? is So Easy ? Available at Bunnings Warehouse

I just found this linked on another website. Bunnings do oxy and accetaline where you pay a refundable deposit for the bottles.... no rent! Dsize is plenty for DIY'ers

seeya,
    Shane L.

Advertisement
    dvr likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Shane, are they in Melbourne yet?

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Coregas ? Trade N Go Gas? is So Easy ? Available at Bunnings Warehouse

I just found this linked on another website. Bunnings do oxy and accetaline where you pay a refundable deposit for the bottles.... no rent! Dsize is plenty for DIY'ers

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Unless I've misread the core gas site the facility is only available in NSW.

I guess they may expand the operation to other states eventually.

No idea, just found it myself.............. Hee,hee BOC sure is going to liek this. They can cram there $180++ a year PER BOTTLE rental where the sun don't shine. If this takes of at bunnings the industry will have to follow or they'll loose 100% of the DIY market.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Unless I've misread the core gas site the facility is only available in NSW.

I guess they may expand the operation to other states eventually.
    Bugger! I hadn't noticed that. I reckon it'll be so huge for them, they'll roll it straight out across the other states.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Fellow Frogger!

I had a quick look on the Bunnings website but I couldn't find a price on a refill. I moved to oxy-LPG so I didn't have to pay for hire on the Acetylene cylinder, maybe I'll move back as oxy-LPG is a pain to light. Pity they don't have shield gas but I can get a swap type cylinder for this already but without the convenience of Bunnings' opening hours.

Fellow Frogger!

As usual ACT is irrelevant, not part of Sydney so we don't count. If it ever happens I will certainly be interested, bottle rent is the only reason I have never got an oxy set so far.

agd123

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by c.lees View Post
    I had a quick look on the Bunnings website but I couldn't find a price on a refill. I moved to oxy-LPG so I didn't have to pay for hire on the Acetylene cylinder, maybe I'll move back as oxy-LPG is a pain to light. Pity they don't have shield gas but I can get a swap type cylinder for this already but without the convenience of Bunnings' opening hours.
    Oxy-LPG is also not hot enough to weld steel and uses much more oxygen due the different combustion ratios of the fuel gases. LPG is cheaper and good for heating and brazing, but isn't nearly the equal of acetylene. That said, I very much liked my Portacolt kit and it was excellent for cutting car panels etc., but just not up to welding.

For shielding gases in Sydney you could consider Speedgas in Brookvale. They will sell cylinders (Note Coregas retains ownership) and did offer delivery, but that seems to have stopped. They do not offer oxygen and acetylene.

If you are a tradie, the convenience of delivery and a huge range of outlets covering all types of gas makes BOC's rental charge a non-event. For the DIY-er with limited use and time on their hands, avoiding paying BOC rental may be worth the hassles. If you change the number of cylinders you hold, pay by the month to avoid being hit with multiples of annual rental fees.
    Last edited by David S; 25th June 2014 at 03:17 PM.

My understanding was it's hot enough to weld and cut with (you need LPG cutting tips). The issue is hydrogen embrittlement if you weld with lpg though

They had a ripper little dinky lpg/oxy set they demo'd for me last time I was at the BOC store. He said the cutter tips worked quite well too.

For me to have an Oxy set and Mig welder ... through BOC would be over $600 a year in rental .... Which is absolutely ludicrous for DIY type use..... Even if you don't use them.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Fellow Frogger!

You can't fusion weld steel with oxy-lpg but its not so bad for brazing or silver soldering. I use a tig for fusion welding.

Sent from my C5503 using Tapatalk

dvr
    Fellow Frogger!

This is good. I can't do without my oxy set but as a DIY I probably only use one set of bottles a year with my Henrob kit. So saving a few hundred bucks a year will be worth it.

1000+ Posts

Coregas is the old Linde Gas renamed, and along with Bunnings is owned by Wesfarmers.

Even though they state that the gas deal is NSW metro only, it's a pretty generous definition of metro - from Port Stephens down to Mittagong and Nowra. That's about a quarter of the country's population. If it works out I would guess Victoria would be next.

I look forward to this innovative move! I have been unable to afford gas bottles so my oxy set just sits idle now!
    Cheers Gerry

It's also wise to bear in mind that Acetylene must not be transported in a normal boot or passenger compartment.

Even if the ute has a canopy it must be in a sealed enclosure vented to out side.

BOC police the transport religiously. I wonder if Bunnings do/ will do the same
    Last edited by robmac; 25th June 2014 at 08:18 PM.

The Oxygen bottle is actually more dangerous than the Acetylene.
    Cheers Gerry

1000+ Posts

Plenty of graphic warnings here - https://www.google.com.au/search?q=p...+gas+explosion Press the images link.

Ho-leeeee. Literally had a similar conversation today after finding the oxy set bottles both being left on.
    2006 Peugeot 206 Xt
    1991 Toyota mx83 grande 1jzgte

Fellow Frogger!

Bottle rental for oxy and acetylene cylinders has always been a pain going back to when CIG had a monopoly on the business. But, if you wanted to be able to gas weld you didn't have much of a choice. I've been oxy/acetylene fusion welding for over 50 years, and it remains my method of choice for rust repairs. I have MIG and TIG welders but I find that, for bodywork, MIG is just too brutal and un-predictable, and TIG may be OK when you can set up on a bench with uber-control but is difficult down on the job for non-professionals.
    I've just completed replacing the all the rain gutters and seal sections on the rear of a DS. The left hand side involves a gas butt weld of 0.8mm steel just on 1 metre long - something that would be challenging with a MIG.
    I guess the point is that if you want to do the job properly then you need to invest in the right tools.
    roger

1000+ Posts

Icon14 Competition for BOC - Fantastic!!

Very interested in this - have been renting oxy acetylene cylinders for years and had an account with CIG/now BOC. CIG allowed you to exchange cylinders without worrying much about the cylinder serial numbers, so if you acquired extra cylinders you could fill them and have a reserve supply. When the rental got a bit expensive a plumber mate and I used to swap cylinders and he had the acetylene and I had the oxy and with spare containers we would just fill oxy or acetylene as required ay CIG and as long as you had an account this was o.k. BOC cracked down on this and would only allow you to change over the type you had on your account and recorded the serial# of the container supplied, and then my plumber mate died, at some time I will need an acetylene fill so have to bite the bullet and pay rental of that gas. I would love to move to a new acetylene supplier and check out the economics of using their gas.

So for me it will be a no brainer to make the move and BOC have only themselves to blame for the hard time they gave me when I filled my mates acetylene and they tried to charge me for the gas + cylinder and rental at the time and finally giving up when I refused to pay or disclose the lenders detail as it was completely above board arrangement at the time, we just made sure we filled our own cylinders after that, just a bit inconvenient.

So a gas supplier without inquisition would be very handy as I like the convenience of using oxy acetylene gear, so I will be watching and waiting for Bunnings to extend this to Victoria - maybe BOC might just change their rental rates to accommodate and retain long term customers.

Thanks for posting the info.!!

Ken

dvr
    Fellow Frogger!

I've checked my local Bunnings. They only supply D bottles at the moment. $200 deposit for each. That's $400 refunded when bottles are returned or rolled over with refills. Much better than the $338 annual rental I've paid BOC for the last 15+ years.

Refills are $99 for acetylene and $59 for oxy. So $20 more than BOC for acet and $15 more for oxy. For a low usage DIY like me it's a no brainer where I'm going once these bottles are empty.

Great there's a viable competitor to BOC at long last.

Thread Information