DS23IE transmission cooler hose
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Results 1 to 25 of 47
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: DS23IE transmission cooler hose

  1. #1
    Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Coolum Beach
    Posts
    1,914

    Default DS23IE transmission cooler hose

    Would anyone have a picture of the transmission cooler hoses arrangement in a Borg warner DS23?
    ie from top of auto box to oil cooler in front of radiator.

    I've removed the old ones to replace them without noting which one runs where. Typical!

    Or does it make no difference ? Will the fluid circulate in any configuration?

    Advertisement
    danielsydney likes this.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

    DS23 IE Pallas Automatique
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

  2. #2
    Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Coolum Beach
    Posts
    1,914

    Default

    Thanks Guys for replies through PM's.
    I've now found a photo on Google clear enough to show what's what.

    Cheers,

    DS23IE transmission cooler hose-ffdc870fb33692f8ad36c01050eb8302.jpg
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

    DS23 IE Pallas Automatique
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

  3. #3
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Wagga Wagga
    Posts
    346

    Default

    When I first had the auto transmission cooler hoses replaced, the mechanic(?) used a cool temperature rubber hose which lasted about a week. The oil gets very hot... I ended up replacing those crappy hoses with a turbo charger oil hose which will probably outlast the car. Unsure of turbo hose brand, but was blue in colour.

  4. #4
    Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    San Diego, California, USA
    Posts
    3,534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moulton2speed View Post
    When I first had the auto transmission cooler hoses replaced, the mechanic(?) used a cool temperature rubber hose which lasted about a week. The oil gets very hot... I ended up replacing those crappy hoses with a turbo charger oil hose which will probably outlast the car. Unsure of turbo hose brand, but was blue in colour.
    Silicone?
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

  5. #5
    Fellow Frogger! caparobertsan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    SOUTH MORANG
    Posts
    793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    Silicone?
    Must be Silicon = made from sand = heat proof!
    1961 Citroen ID19(2010~), Holden Frontera(R.I.P 2002-2014), Honda Accord EURO(2006~)

  6. #6
    Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Coolum Beach
    Posts
    1,914

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caparobertsan View Post
    Must be Silicon = made from sand = heat proof!
    Although isn't that how you make glass: by melting sand ?

    Geez I don't fancy two glass tubes running up and down the transmission cooler !
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

    DS23 IE Pallas Automatique
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

  7. #7
    Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Coolum Beach
    Posts
    1,914

    Default

    DS23IE transmission cooler hose-dsc00031.jpgDS23IE transmission cooler hose-dsc00030.jpgAfter repairing the hoses on the BVA, I've sprung a new leak as shown on picture. Anyone knows if I can safely remove and reaseal, or is there a particular procedure with that fitting. (It appears tight enough)
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

    DS23 IE Pallas Automatique
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

  8. #8
    Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    San Diego, California, USA
    Posts
    3,534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by harrisson_citroen View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00031.jpg 
Views:	339 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	57963Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00030.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	57964After repairing the hoses on the BVA, I've sprung a new leak as shown on picture. Anyone knows if I can safely remove and reaseal, or is there a particular procedure with that fitting. (It appears tight enough)
    I think we're going to get you a Toyota Camry, Phil. No fuss, no muss....

    I'm thinking spray a little carb or brake cleaner around that area, then see if you can determine where from on the leak. Possibly a small split on that hose at the fitting barb, seeing as the drip is above where the fitting joint is. Can you safely crane your head down in there to look while the car is running?
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

  9. #9
    Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Coolum Beach
    Posts
    1,914

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    I think we're going to get you a Toyota Camry, Phil. No fuss, no muss....

    I'm thinking spray a little carb or brake cleaner around that area, then see if you can determine where from on the leak. Possibly a small split on that hose at the fitting barb, seeing as the drip is above where the fitting joint is. Can you safely crane your head down in there to look while the car is running?

    Thanks Bill. It's pretty hard to get your face close enough in there to see what's going on, but I was able to wipe it clean with a cloth and screw driver. Will stay dry with engine off, once engine on will leak quite quickly. Can't tell wether it's the fitting or the hose. Although I managed to fit a spanner in there and ascertained it is tight enough.
    the black hose comes from the filter (as seen in the example photo of the whole engine I posted earlier up this thread).

    Do you know what is the hose for? Also do you think first port of call would to replace the hose, or fitting at the same time?

    Well I always knew I was in for the long run with this baby, and at least I am learning a lot of stuff, and also getting the satisfaction knowing almost everything has been replaced. uhh wait, I still have to do the injectors rubbers.....
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

    DS23 IE Pallas Automatique
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

  10. #10
    Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    San Diego, California, USA
    Posts
    3,534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by harrisson_citroen View Post
    Thanks Bill. It's pretty hard to get your face close enough in there to see what's going on, but I was able to wipe it clean with a cloth and screw driver. Will stay dry with engine off, once engine on will leak quite quickly. Can't tell wether it's the fitting or the hose. Although I managed to fit a spanner in there and ascertained it is tight enough.
    the black hose comes from the filter (as seen in the example photo of the whole engine I posted earlier up this thread).

    Do you know what is the hose for? Also do you think first port of call would to replace the hose, or fitting at the same time?

    Well I always knew I was in for the long run with this baby, and at least I am learning a lot of stuff, and also getting the satisfaction knowing almost everything has been replaced. uhh wait, I still have to do the injectors rubbers.....
    Yah- if you can't safely get in for a closer look, please don't try. Last thing I want to see is you were seriously injured or even killed just to get a closer look.

    I'll have to see if I can figure out what that hose is. I don't know, I'm not familiar with those transmissions. One thing I can guess is that is a pressure fitting. Replacement of either or will depend on how good/bad the fitting on the transmission is, I would guess.

    No worries about long-term work. Like I say, it's a restoration. Stuff like that is gonna happen.

    Just don't mention the injector seals again. I hear that if you invoke their name 3 times, it's like Betelgeuse- trouble pops up at the most inopportune time.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

  11. #11
    Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    San Diego, California, USA
    Posts
    3,534

    Default

    OK, I've had a bit of a look at an SM service manual. The BW35 was basically the same, SM or D.

    What I saw was a rubber pipe that runs from about where your leaky fitting is, out to a small vent canister, then returning to the transmission. A short tube ran from this canister to vent. The fittings are sealed to the transmission by way of o-rings. SO! My first guess is sort of in line with yours- replace the sealing o-ring first, go from there. I'm going to say that replacing the vent hose assembly won't be too much harder if you need to.

    If you do wind up replacing the hose, try not to scratch the ball/barb surface of the vent fitting. It will leak if you mar it badly enough.


    Sorry- that was an SM parts book, not the service manual.
    Last edited by Hotrodelectric; 6th July 2014 at 07:23 PM. Reason: duhhhhhhhhhhh
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

  12. #12
    Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Coolum Beach
    Posts
    1,914

    Default

    OK, I thought the canister was some sort of filter, but yes I see the short venting pipe. I guess I'll do the o ring and new hose at the same time.
    Bill, when I spotted the dripping under the car, it was finding its way around the gasket at the pan, I thought the pan bolts were not tight enough, and I tightened then quite tight.....is that a mistake? It's only later I found it was coming from higher up.
    How come the hose to the cooler has to be high grade, and this one appears to be quite ordinary rubber?
    As always, thanks a million.

    Via the aussiefrogs App
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

    DS23 IE Pallas Automatique
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

  13. #13
    Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    San Diego, California, USA
    Posts
    3,534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by harrisson_citroen View Post
    OK, I thought the canister was some sort of filter, but yes I see the short venting pipe. I guess I'll do the o ring and new hose at the same time.
    Bill, when I spotted the dripping under the car, it was finding its way around the gasket at the pan, I thought the pan bolts were not tight enough, and I tightened then quite tight.....is that a mistake? It's only later I found it was coming from higher up.
    How come the hose to the cooler has to be high grade, and this one appears to be quite ordinary rubber?
    As always, thanks a million.

    Via the aussiefrogs App
    Excellent- that was a relatively simple fix.

    Yah, you may have them too tight. Mileage will tell. Don't undo them until you're ready for a service. The real problem is you can pretty easily distort the pan gasket surface. I wouldn't worry too much just so long as you aren't leaking copious amounts from there. Expect to replace the pan gasket when you do your first fluid change. You may also need to 'flatten' the bolt holes.

    Just a guess on the hose would be because the cooler hose is subject to the higher temps and the higher pressure.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

  14. #14
    Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Coolum Beach
    Posts
    1,914

    Default

    DS23IE transmission cooler hose-57963d1404615866-ds23ie-transmission-cooler-hose-dsc00031.jpgWell now I have replaced the hose, the clamp and a new copper washer, but the leak is still there .........
    If this is only a breather pipe does anyone know why it should be throwing up oil through there?

    This is the old photo, just to show where the leak is:
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

    DS23 IE Pallas Automatique
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Epping
    Posts
    108

    Default

    Take the dipstick out and see if it still leaks ,reason to de pressurize the trans
    [email protected]

  16. #16
    Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Coolum Beach
    Posts
    1,914

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frenchtranstech View Post
    Take the dipstick out and see if it still leaks ,reason to de pressurize the trans
    [email protected]
    Thanks Tony and Hotrod.

    I went crazy over the weekend and stripped everything out again. I finally found that the leak was coming from above and disguising itself as a leak from the black hose as per photo, when in fact it was coming from the blue hose at a point where the radiator was hiding it.
    The leak would then follow a track hidden all the way and reappear at the bottom of the black hose. Tricky, but all fixed now!

    Gotta get back to more serious things like arguing whether a DSpecial is a DS or not.......
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

    DS23 IE Pallas Automatique
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

  17. #17
    Fellow Frogger
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    9,769

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by harrisson_citroen View Post
    ... Gotta get back to more serious things like arguing whether a DSpecial is a DS or not.......
    Or whether hoses should be red, black or blue.

  18. #18
    Contented Peugeot Driver addo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Don't remind me!
    Posts
    16,609

    Default

    If it's a trickler (leaky) it should be blue, white and red.

  19. #19
    1000+ Posts bluey504's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Dandenong Vic
    Posts
    1,254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    If it's a trickler (leaky) it should be blue, white and red.
    I say pelt Addo with every stale/leftover crossiant from Bastille Day we can find, you know this punishment fits the crime!
    Brendan.

  20. #20
    Contented Peugeot Driver addo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Don't remind me!
    Posts
    16,609

    Default

    Flogging with a stale croissant may have legions of enthusiasts! Especially if the punishment is delivered by Emmanuelle Bťart.

  21. #21
    1000+ Posts daffyduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA USA
    Posts
    1,955

    Default

    Aye! A 1972 and later D Special is a DS by the VIN tag so we have nothing to argue about.
    Next?

    Gotta love the humor on this site.

    Doing the Daffyduck dance via the AussieFrogs app. With a cane! gimp quack quack ow ow ow.

  22. #22
    Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Coolum Beach
    Posts
    1,914

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daffyduck View Post
    so we have nothing to argue about.
    I'm working on that very problem, right now

    and am thinking we should now discuss the meaning of red "TT" number plates in France
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

    DS23 IE Pallas Automatique
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

  23. #23
    Fellow Frogger
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    9,769

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by harrisson_citroen View Post
    I'm working on that very problem, right now
    ...
    Buy a D Special and have a foot in both camps???

  24. #24
    Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Coolum Beach
    Posts
    1,914

    Default

    You mean a DSpecial, right?
    addo likes this.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

    DS23 IE Pallas Automatique
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

  25. #25
    Fellow Frogger! badabec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ongar / England
    Posts
    832

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by harrisson_citroen View Post
    I'm working on that very problem, right now

    and am thinking we should now discuss the meaning of red "TT" number plates in France
    From Horizons Unlimited,

    Similar to the German plates, red French 'TT' plates are used by non-EU Visitors buying new vehicles in France and using them under such arrangements.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •