C5 2004, petrol 2000 cc - battery charging fault - intermittent
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jaahn

Thread: C5 2004, petrol 2000 cc - battery charging fault - intermittent

Default C5 2004, petrol 2000 cc - battery charging fault - intermittent

heya,

i replaced a new battery about a month ago.
    today - after a4 hours drive - i made a stop for a half an hour.
    upon restarting the drive - the battery charging fault notification came on with the service light.
    the battery light didnt came on.
    the service light turned off after 4-5 minutes.

after 20 minutes of drive - again - the battery charging fault notification went on with the service light. and again after a half an hour or so it came again and went away.

Advertisement

how can i find the problem?
    is it just a bug because of the long drive in a very hot weather? (40 degrees)

i dont have a lexia to connect to.

please help me diagnose and proceed with the problem - i am thankfull

thank yuo all

Tadpole

hi
    check the battery voltage with motor running should be above 13.8 volts not over 16 volt if it is not in this range look at alternator fault

Thank you,
    Why intermittently?
    Brushes? Earth connector? (Were does it located?)

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mudale mudale View Post
    Thank you,
    Why intermittently?
    Brushes? Earth connector? (Were does it located?)
    Hi Mudale,
    Most likely to be the brushes, at an unproven guess. The brushes are usually in a holder that is a part of the regulator. They may be able to be replaced after you take out the regulator. Or just buy a new regulator which has new brushes already fitted. You can often fit it without taking the alternator off if carefull.
    What brand and type of alternator. An auto electrician will need this information. It will be on the body of the alternator somewhere.
    Good luck jaahn

Default checked the voltage when running

Quote Originally Posted by andy bram View Post
    hi
    check the battery voltage with motor running should be above 13.8 volts not over 16 volt if it is not in this range look at alternator fault
    11.78 for most of the time. now and then - suddenly i feel increase in the load of the motor and i see the voltage go up to 13.6 for a short time.

so how can i diffrentiate if this is a brushes / diode / correcotr / wiring problem?

any help please?

thank you all for the help until now

Tadpole

Hi Mudale
    best way would be dismantle alternator and check the diodes you will see if brushes are worn the regulator is a bit harder to check without special equipment

1000+ Posts

Hi,
    If the voltage goes up occasionally it will not be the diodes as they fail and do not come back. It is most likely, as I said, to be the brushes because they wear out normally after a long use. However if you keep going the regulator may be damaged as it tries to make the alternator work when it cannot. It may be something else but we are just guessing over here.
    It could be a connector but you must look for that on the car. However if you take the brushes out then you can see if they are worn. Usually one is shorter than the other and the end is burnt, instead of shiny, where it is no longer able to make proper contact on the slip ring. As said before, depending on the model, the brushes are often mounted in the regulator. So you can take the regulator out of the alternator and look at the brushes.

However more information is required on the alternator model etc to know what else to say. I have removed quite a few regulators to look at the brushes on Bosch Lucas and Valeo alternators without having to take the whole alternator off. They usually have a couple of screws holding them on the end away from the pulley, and when these are removed, the regulator can be wriggled out carefully. Note the brushes are spring loaded and will be protruding more as they come out. There are often no wires to disconnect as the contacts are made by spring fingers inside. The battery should be disconnected previously.

The slip rings inside where the brushes run, should also be inspected to see how worn they are, if the brushes are worn out. But usually you will be able to fit a new regulator or new brushes even if there is some wear. Putting the new regulator back in, with longer brushes, is a test of your dexterity and it may be easier to have the alternator out to make it easier. You have to be careful not to break the brushes as you hold them down on the slip rings and swing/slide the regulator into position and put the screws in. As usual three tiny hands would be helpful Some brands have a hole to put a wire through which hold the brushes compressed to make it easier and then you can remove this after fitting.
    Do you have any auto electricians that can supply information or parts in your area. If you asked for a look at the regulator for your car you would know what it looks like before you start. Generally the same alternator may be fitted to different brands of cars and different models also. You do not have to buy genuine parts. Regulators are not very expensive and have new brushes fitted. Here $30-70 probably.
    Good luck jaahn
    Last edited by jaahn; 25th June 2014 at 09:05 AM.
    Hotrodelectric likes this.

The sporadic charging you saw when you tested the battery voltage may not be a problem; a lot of newer cars use a charge on demand system which doesn't actually charge the battery constantly..

Newer BMW's for instance don't charge until the engine is up to temperature (reduced engine load when cold = reduced emissions supposedly) and even then, only when the car deems charging as necessary.. If it's a new shape C5 I'd presume them to be as advanced / complex..

My bmw actually threw up a similar warning after a week of only short trips.. Apparently this is normal and was because the battery didn't ever charge because the car didn't fully warm up! I intended consequence I guess. I should note that it never failed to start or perform as normal, only a warning was displayed of "battery voltage low".

Just a thought.. Good luck!

thank you all guys for the precious information.

tryed today to stroke the alternator with a hammer - every hit - the charging came up but after a second - it failed.

drove for the alternator replacemnt place - checked the cahrging - it was great and OK (bummer! intermittent!!!)

but the alternator seemed very very greasy and oily - probablu LDS leak from the power steering pump.

took it out and replaced it. and everything is OK (but the carging is now a bit kower than the original alternator whrn i drove in)

2 questions:

the alternator was mitsubishi 90 AMP (doesnt it suppose to be 120-150 AMP???)
    could be the grease and the dirt a cause for intermittent fault ?

thank you all

because it was mitsubishi - the refulator is inside the alternator - not as the european models.

1000+ Posts

Default Fixed with money !

Hi mudale,
    Glad you have fixed it. Now what I have done is to take the old one apart and look at it and learn for the next time. The mitsubishi alternators can be fixed with new brushes too. Not hard to pull apart !

You are right about the oil that leaks on the alternator. It attracts the dirt so it certainly will cause more more wear on all the parts. The grease or oil will cause poorer contact of the brushes so may show a fault earlier.

I guess that Citroen fits many different alternators to its cars to match the expected use. 90 AMP is OK and seems to be the minimum size these days, sometimes they are a bit larger. More drag on smaller motors at idle so they play with them as BMW is doing, according to Renault 12.
    Cheers Jaahn

Default thank mate

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi mudale,
    Glad you have fixed it. Now what I have done is to take the old one apart and look at it and learn for the next time. The mitsubishi alternators can be fixed with new brushes too. Not hard to pull apart !

You are right about the oil that leaks on the alternator. It attracts the dirt so it certainly will cause more more wear on all the parts. The grease or oil will cause poorer contact of the brushes so may show a fault earlier.

I guess that Citroen fits many different alternators to its cars to match the expected use. 90 AMP is OK and seems to be the minimum size these days, sometimes they are a bit larger. More drag on smaller motors at idle so they play with them as BMW is doing, according to Renault 12.
    Cheers Jaahn
    thank you all.
    would love some explanation about fixing those mitsubishi alternators

you tube is your friend, look up mitsubishi alternator repairs-overhaul,they are easy to pull apart and repair.

Thread Information