• Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Kim Luck
  • 1 Post By JBN
  • 1 Post By JBN

Thread: Im pleased with the duck

Fellow Frogger!

Default Im pleased with the duck

My secret oil formula is working well in winter , the 20/50 was too heavy and I needed to warm the car for so long , as I never drive cold , I just cant do it

As long as you dont tell anyone ,

Thank
    you

Advertisement

it was some old SL grade oil from a dark corner at work that has brewed well

thats 50% ,

then the other 50% was

10W30 Mineral Nulon

I estimate another what ,,,,,, 2 horses , I estimate , very useful and very free in quite cold weather , , plus it does not put a load on the oil pump and motor that dead cold sludgy 20W50 does , you know the feeling
    as if its got 600 weight steam oil in it

You could have just put some anti-freeze in the 20W50, surely?
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    You could have just put some anti-freeze in the 20W50, surely?
    Im not sure of the lubricating quality of it , but if its like WD40 , Approx 70 % Stoddart solvent and approx 30% light petroleum oil , maybe,,,,,

as the SL protection is good with the Zn and P

Fellow Frogger!

Oh , I read that Glycol is a bad guy in oil , Luckily I have an air cooled motor ,
    I also read a lot of failures are caused by coolant in the oil ,

When I said "antifreeze' for oil I'm thinking of something like this for use in cold areas:

In 1964, a second VW , "Antarctica 2" was sent to Mawson. This one was "International Orange" for high visibility. "Antarctic 1" and "Antarctic 2" passed by each other on the beach as "1" was loaded on to the ship for the return to Australia. Antarctica 2 served for 5 years until 1969. It also suffered from frame head cracks. Another problem developed as this car was in Antarctica longer than the first - it's mudguards (fenders) were flogged to death by the 4 wheel chains fitted permanently to the car. Castrol 10w oil proved too thick (!) for the low temperatures, and an oil called 5ZED-ZED - which had the consistency of kerosine - was used instead. The engines worked well with this oil, and no harm was done to them, although the engines did have a special crankshaft bearing material - designed for low temperatures. Both vehicles also had a large part of the air intake blanked off to prevent over-cooling from the fan.

For history etc, read this: Australian Volkswagens in the Antarctic
    Goddess fan likes this.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Arctic drill rig crews use "Sub-Zero" Gas Engine Oil LA 40. Sub Zero is the brand

Can still pour this oil at -36degC

JBN

I run Mobil 1 in the town 2CV that I am driving at the moment. It has been a mild winter in Sydney, but its still a dog to drive for the first kilometre or so while the choke is operating. Even with a brand new (reproduction) Solex carby, new inlet/outlet manifold gaskets and helicoiled inlet manifold threads, I am still not happy with the way the car runs, hot or cold. One thing I must do soon is to relubricate the accelerator pedal. These can get sticky at times and limit accelerator pedal travel.

All in all, the car feels like the brakes are partly on at slow speeds. The discs have just been renewed with new pads and new handbrake pads so its not that. However, once the revs and speed is up, it stills goes well. Cuts through the traffic a lot better than the Merc convertible I was driving alongside today. Still I have less to lose than him - just my life and 570kg of thin metal for a car valued about the same as his first year's depreciation.

John
    forumnoreason likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Is your Breather working , I just put a new one on it seems great for some reason
    And you are sure the brake caliper cylinders are not sticking,
    And dont devalue your self one little bit , you are a fine asset to the forum
    Last edited by Renburg; 23rd June 2014 at 05:23 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

What grade of Mobil 1 do you like in the Duck

JBN

I use the original Mobil 1 - 5W-50. I use the same oil in the Xantia. I like synthetic oils and Mobil 1 is well priced. I've used it for all my Citroens since 1984. Keeps the engine clean.

On Daffy Duck, the bush car, I use Castrol GTX 20W-50. This is because you can buy it in any outback store, again at a cheap price.

With the town 2CV, I have a PCV valve between the engine breather and aircleaner. I just need to sit down one day (probably at the next service) and check the compression, change the plugs, clean the aircleaner and set the carby. Ignition is Luminition which is set and forget. I wouldn't be surprised if a new set of barrels and pistons aren't part of the solution. I am not very kind to engines having replaced the engine in each of the 3 2CVs I have owned.

John
    jaahn likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Good choice for the Bush , I was looking at grades of the Mobil and by gosh one was $108 for 5 litres

Fellow Frogger!

I had surging problems with my 2CV years ago, cured by dropping the engine oil level a whisker below the dipstick full mark .

Richard

Thread Information