1962 ID Hydraulic light stays on after unrelated work help please
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 1962 ID Hydraulic light stays on after unrelated work help please

Hi all,

Today I took out the generator from my ID19 (LHS) to check it out. Good news is that the brushes are fine and the unit seems sound.

To do so I had to take out the battery and in doing so I raised the large hydraulic hose that goes into the LHS tank with the large white pipe in the tank to get it out of the way. I believe i drained the fluid into the tank that was in the pipe and I suppose a bit in the rubber hose.

the car is up on 4 axel stands (i also tried and failed to change the gearbox oil - could not get drain plud off), having raised itself above the, on the highest suspension setting.

however nowwhen I start the car to try to raise the suspension and get it off the axle stands, the hydraulic light stays on and the car is not raising to its top height.

i suspenct that draining that pipe and a bit of the rubber hose ( to make way for removing the battery) means the system is not drawing fluid into the pump? Does this sound plausible - I found another post by someone who replaced their hydraulic pump and their problem was air in the lines.

If so, how should I proceed, bering in mind the car is close to maximum height ( the lHS rank is full) and it is on axle stands? I think this involves unscrewing the pressure relief screw on the accumulator while the car is running but I am not sure.

i do have trolley jacks so I can jack up the car and take it off the stands if that is needed.

Any thought welcomed as I'd like to get the car under cover tonight.

Advertisement

thanks leconte
    1962 Heidelberg ID19 "Axel"
    1965 Heidelberg ID19
    half owner 1974 GS 1220 Convertisseur Break

I would unscrew the regulator pressure relief and let it idle for a few minutes. While it is idling can you any fluid coming into the tank from the return line if you look down into it through the filling hole. You should then see a mousse like consistency when the pump picks up the fluid.

If that does not do the trick, you might need to prime the pump and pipe with hydraulic fluid obviously with care not to spill any on the paintwork.

Then if you get fluid returning put the height to normal and wait until the pressure light goes out before raising the height, one setting at a time.

Note I have no experience at all with the D series but at one tech day the above method got fluid circulating on a BX 16valve that all other attempts had failed. Patience is the key
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Make sure car is on the ground. To remove air from system run the car with accumulator screw loosened. If pump it running it should rise and red lamp should go out.
    1961 Citroen ID19(2010~), Holden Frontera(R.I.P 2002-2014), Honda Accord EURO(2006~)

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Greg & CRS,I took the car off the stands with the trolley jack, started it and opened the pressure release. The hydraulic light stayed on (revved it for a couple of minutes) so I then closed the pressure release bolt. Nothing changed but then I put the suspension down to the lowest level (below normal) and the light went out. Put it up to normal, the light is on again but I revved for a while and it finally went out.All seems fine now. Thanks for your help guys! Regards, leconte
    1965 Heidelberg ID19

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

check the feed hose too. They do split down on the single single pump where you cant see it (where the hose is over the metal part of the pump). Infact pull the hose off and check it's full length for split, cracks/leaks. The fact it lost prime says there is an issue there somewhere with the resevior -> pump line

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

If you have the car on stands and both wheels are hanging down then the height corrector will read that as already being on high suspension. You need to lift the car off the stands with a trolley jack so that the car sinks back to as low as you can get it. It may not be possible to remove the trolley jack at this time. Then the car s anti roll bar will tell the height corrector it is low and the suspension should begin to rise!
    Cheers Gerry

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    If you have the car on stands and both wheels are hanging down then the height corrector will read that as already being on high suspension. You need to lift the car off the stands with a trolley jack so that the car sinks back to as low as you can get it. It may not be possible to remove the trolley jack at this time. Then the car s anti roll bar will tell the height corrector it is low and the suspension should begin to rise!
    Quite right Gerry, this is the course of action I took and after some mucking around it did work. And you are right, i could get the trolley jack out of the first three positions (using a chunk of softwood to not damage the underbody) but it got firmly stuck on the final one until the hydraulics 'recovered'.

thanks- leconte
    1965 Heidelberg ID19

Thread Information