Citroen Safari Station Wagon
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Citroen Safari Station Wagon

Tadpole

Icon7 Citroen Safari Station Wagon

Hi , I just bought a nice old 72 Id 21 Safari Station Wagon / Estate car . I am in the process of re comissioning her . Are there many other DS / Id Breaks or Safaris here in Australia ...this is the only one I know of ? Thanks Tim

Advertisement

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Hi Tim and welcome to the dark side from Southern California! You'll find we are cooler, and we have cookies.

I can't remember who all has another Break/Safari/Familiale, but they do pop up from time to time. You are not alone! A recent board member is a gentleman in Greece doing a complete, undershell restoration of one he bought about a year ago. Mort Subite comes to mind as an Aussie member- he has a gorgeous one in all black livery.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim37 View Post
    Hi , I just bought a nice old 72 Id 21 Safari Station Wagon / Estate car . I am in the process of re comissioning her . Are there many other DS / Id Breaks or Safaris here in Australia ...this is the only one I know of ? Thanks Tim
    Google search (below the top AF banner) is your friend.

aussiefrogs - The Australian French Car Forum Since 1999 - aussiefrogs.com - Google Search Results

My old one is still in Sydney and I have seen one recently in Tassie.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Yep i still have a 1972 ds21 safari and a 69 safari wreck

Via the aussiefrogs App
    2016 Cactus
    2003 Range rover l322
    1974 D special
    1971 D special
    1992 CX TGE Safari
    1961 ID19
    1972 DS21 Safari
    1965 Renault R4
    1923 Citroen B2
    1927 B14
    Massey ferguson 550

Fellow Frogger!

there are 3 in Canberra

Yeah, I know of two 'roadies' and one having a little rest here in Canberra.

This is my Sophie, at the rear, with two of her Sydney Cousins.

Another Sydney Safari has recently been put back on the road.

Two a penny these days

Best idea is to go to a CCCNSW club meeting where I'm sure you will see one.

Citroen Safari Station Wagon-imageuploadedbyaussiefrogs1402696497.467789.jpg

Paul in Canberra

1974 DS Safari (aka Sophie Safari)
    1972 SM (aka Simone, aka S'Moan)
    Subaru WRX

Oh, congratulations on your custodianship. They are wonderful things.
    Citroen Safari Station Wagon-imageuploadedbyaussiefrogs1402697163.532970.jpg

Paul in Canberra

Subaru WRX

Look what I saw on the road today. Heart Breaking.
    /ducks
    Daddy ducks

Doing the Daffyduck dance via the AussieFrogs app.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Citroen Safari Station Wagon-1402727099713.jpg  

Idear has an immaculate Slough in Lincoln green.

SF

Quote Originally Posted by daffyduck
    Look what I saw on the road today. Heart Breaking.
    Were they equally rapt at seeing Daffy Duck in a GT 'vert?

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Were they equally rapt at seeing Daffy Duck in a GT 'vert?
    Imma gonna find out tomorrow when I roust his Daffy a**.
    addo likes this.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Burnout pics or it didn't happen.

Tadpole

Thank's chaps , I have also a friend who I found out has a 67 ish Id 19 break , but all in all very few around ? Maybe 10 or less in Aus still on the road ? Will post pics when I return to her resting place with the starter motor rebuilt , I work on Italian super cars for a living & found the Citroen v challenging to remove the starter a/ because of previous butchers rounding bolts b/ because the car has AC and c/ a very limited amount of room / access along with the crazy place they put the starter ... Character building I think they call this ?

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Burnout pics or it didn't happen.
    It is a v6 auto box to get me to and from that thing called a job that I had to get after I got hurt and can no longer pleasantly drive my fun cars. I am starting to walk a little better, albeit with a cane. But driving the really fun cars isn't as easy or comfortable as it was.
    Lemme whore a couple of Break pics in for our new member.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Citroen Safari Station Wagon-1402799451559.jpg   Citroen Safari Station Wagon-1402799475197.jpg   Citroen Safari Station Wagon-1402799487484.jpg   Citroen Safari Station Wagon-1402799507449.jpg   Citroen Safari Station Wagon-1402799591626.jpg  
    GreenBlood likes this.

The common big guy in those pics is not Hotrodelectric but the two chaps do know each other.

Hotrodelectric likes this.

Thank's chaps , I have also a friend who I found out has a 67 ish Id 19 break , but all in all very few around ? Maybe 10 or less in Aus still on the road ? Will post pics when I return to her resting place with the starter motor rebuilt , I work on Italian super cars for a living & found the Citroen v challenging to remove the starter a/ because of previous butchers rounding bolts b/ because the car has AC and c/ a very limited amount of room / access along with the crazy place they put the starter ... Character building I think they call this ?
    Oh, no Tim. This is all very standard stuff. You will discover as time rolls on that there are several French curse words you didn't think you knew.

Default Citroen Safari Station Wagon

Hey Tim,

Italian Supercars?!?

How about this French-Italian GT?

Citroen Safari Station Wagon-imageuploadedbyaussiefrogs1402829094.157493.jpg
    donat, UFO and Mort Subite like this.

Paul in Canberra

Subaru WRX

Tadpole

Finally got the Safari going in the old owners driveway , had the exhaust manifold and the down pipe ceramic coated to assist with heat reduction , rebuilt the starter .... She runs like a clock but dreaded green blood leaked badly at first ... Found the pipes to the rack not tight , old owner fitted reco rack but lost heart doing the job .... Still leaking from the valve on the side of the engine with a sphere underneath ... Got home and to the workshop today . Washed & cleaned inside and out... Degreased the engine .
    Seems to leak out of the top of the valve on the side of the engine thought it was the rubber return hose but mirror shows it's not ... Time to start reading ....

Tadpole

Oh & I love the SM and look after a lovely Black & White RHD converted 73 ...

Finally got the Safari going in the old owners driveway , had the exhaust manifold and the down pipe ceramic coated to assist with heat reduction , rebuilt the starter .... She runs like a clock but dreaded green blood leaked badly at first ... Found the pipes to the rack not tight , old owner fitted reco rack but lost heart doing the job .... Still leaking from the valve on the side of the engine with a sphere underneath ... Got home and to the workshop today . Washed & cleaned inside and out... Degreased the engine .
    Seems to leak out of the top of the valve on the side of the engine thought it was the rubber return hose but mirror shows it's not ... Time to start reading ....
    That valve on the side of the engine is your pressure regulator, the sphere is the main accumulator. The rubber hose is the suction line from the fluid tank. The hoses are prone to splitting after all this time, and all the usual action oil causes to rubber. Check and ensure the fittings are tight, just as you did for the rack.

You may need to re-gas your sphere. A no gas condition causes the pressure reg. to hammer itself pretty hard, and can cause damage.

Tadpole

Thanks so much for your help ! Who is the preferred supplier for new or reco hydraulic parts in Melbourne or Australia ? Is the Pressure Reg prone to leak from the very top and are new parts readily available ?
    Oh and how do I post a pic from my IPhone onto here ? Cheers Tim

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Thanks so much for your help ! Who is the preferred supplier for new or reco hydraulic parts in Melbourne or Australia ? Is the Pressure Reg prone to leak from the very top and are new parts readily available ?
    There is probably a split int eh regulator return hose you can't see... where it pushes over the barb on the regulator.

The CCCV can regass your spheres for you. Stick with the proper 2peice spheres if they are still fitted. a new throw-away accumulator probably can't hurt.... but don't throw away the 2part rebuildable accumulator if it's still there.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Unless you're running an aluminum regulator, there should be no leak at the very top. The aluminum ones are prone to cracking and splitting. I think what you're seeing is a leak from the area of the suction hose, which is very near the top. Absolutely check the hose first (it can be split inside the rubber protective sleeve for the Ligarex), then go to the regulator. Sorry I can't help with prices or suppliers local to you.

For the pics, I'll guess it's approximately the same for the phone as a desktop or laptop:
    Click "Go Advanced" when you want to post. From there, scroll down to the next section, just below your answer/post. Click "Manage Attachments". From there, download from your phone. I'm on a coal-fired Dell desktop running Google on Windows XP, so what I normally see is a screen come up asking me to download from my desired location. Click "Insert Online", then "Done". You'll be returned to your post, you should see the title come up in the "Manage Attachments" box, then click "Submit Reply".

Mind you, this is for working in Chrome, but I have to guess the procedure is similar for everyone else.

Fellow Frogger!

I had a similar problem fixed recently (been like that since I bought the car) It turned out to be the seal at the top of the pressure regulator. Fixed by local DS parts supplier Roger Parker.

Don
    Citroen DS21 Pallas 1970 Renault 16TS 1976 Renault 5TS 1981

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information