Citroen Safari Station Wagon - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 First 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Citroen Safari Station Wagon

Tadpole

I have finally sorted the Safari out to the point of daily driving to see whats what .....
    I went to see the trade chap Stefan at AN imports and bought the seals for the regulator and a new sphere ....plus he had the roof seal in stock !!! Another 5 litres of LHM ....
    All is fantastique now ;-] although I did manage to drop the ball from the bleed down point and was recued by a great chaps at DS motors with the answer as to why it wouldn't pump ......A new set of Michelin energys and shes getting there .
    Lots of jobs to do like finding some correct 7 " headlights and fixing the A/C and heater .....how do youo post pics on here ?

Advertisement

Tadpole

Oh and I forgot to thanks all the kind folk on here who assisted me so kindly , cheers Tim .

Good to hear who sorted you out, would be my first choice to ask for bits in Melbourne as well.

I'm so glad you have got the Safari back on the road. Your hard work tracking down all the bits and pieces has paid off

I'm already getting excited about a weekend away with Sophie. What better car to take to Rutherglen... She will be full on the trip home

Paul in Canberra

1974 DS Safari (aka Sophie Safari)
    1972 SM (aka Simone, aka S'Moan)
    Subaru WRX

Tadpole

Ok I wonder if anyone can assist , the Safari seems to have no exhaust leaks but there's exhaust fumes getting into the cabin :-( it made me and my apprentice sick ,should the tailpipes end out the back or is my exhaust too short , looks factory but the two angled pipes finish 250mm behind the rear bumper under the car ?
    Also when braking lightly the rear brakes seem to come on before the fronts and hand on a little too long ? Any ideas , I am determined to fox this to perfect :-p . Not a drop of green leaking now though!

How's the seal on the tailgate?
    Cheers,
    Michael

Citroen Car Club of NSW - Member

1974 Citroen DS23 non Pallas BW Auto/Carby with Air-conditioning [AC640 Delta Blue]
    1972 Citroen DS21 5SPD EFI Pallas [AC088 Blanc Meije]

2012 Citroen C5 Exclusive 3.0L Auto Diesel [Noir Perla Nera]

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    Unless you're running an aluminum regulator, there should be no leak at the very top. The aluminum ones are prone to cracking and splitting. I think what you're seeing is a leak from the area of the suction hose, which is very near the top. Absolutely check the hose first (it can be split inside the rubber protective sleeve for the Ligarex), then go to the regulator. Sorry I can't help with prices or suppliers local to you.

For the pics, I'll guess it's approximately the same for the phone as a desktop or laptop:
    Click "Go Advanced" when you want to post. From there, scroll down to the next section, just below your answer/post. Click "Manage Attachments". From there, download from your phone. I'm on a coal-fired Dell desktop running Google on Windows XP, so what I normally see is a screen come up asking me to download from my desired location. Click "Insert Online", then "Done". You'll be returned to your post, you should see the title come up in the "Manage Attachments" box, then click "Submit Reply".

Mind you, this is for working in Chrome, but I have to guess the procedure is similar for everyone else.

While the steel ones don't tend to fail mechanically - they can leak from the top if the securing cap's 0-ring gets hard from old age. Not hard to replace if one has access to a small press. The internal spring the provides the 'cut-in' pressure point is quite strong.

A quick cycle time tends not to be a problem for the steel bodied regulators. OTOH that constant hammering and back pressure spike that occurs with a dead main accumulator sphere is really, really hard on the Al pump bodies.

Steve

Tadpole

Default Ds Safari pics

Citroen Safari Station Wagon-image.jpgCitroen Safari Station Wagon-image.jpg
    Boyracer likes this.

The tailpipe on a Safari should be short, to allow the tailgate (and bumper) to fold down unhindered.

I'm not sure the tailgates had a rubber seal originally, bit I've got one almond the leading edge of the bottom gate.

This didn't help much.... So I've had the tail pipes extended out to the side, behind the rear wheel, like on a sedan.

Not 'right' but it worked a treat to stop the passengers getting gassed.

Paul in Canberra

Subaru WRX

Tadpole

I see so you had the fumes too , I might have to modify the pipes too ! Mine has a seal all the way round and it seems pliable with only one 10mm gap on the lower left which I have plugged ... Let's see what it's like now , thanks again. Any pics of Sophie's modded exhaust tips ?

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Citroenfan View Post
    While the steel ones don't tend to fail mechanically - they can leak from the top if the securing cap's 0-ring gets hard from old age. Not hard to replace if one has access to a small press. The internal spring the provides the 'cut-in' pressure point is quite strong.

A quick cycle time tends not to be a problem for the steel bodied regulators. OTOH that constant hammering and back pressure spike that occurs with a dead main accumulator sphere is really, really hard on the Al pump bodies.

Steve
    Yah, I had forgotten completely about that top cap being removable. Eh- whaddaya want from some idiot sparky? It's why I don't opine often about the hydraulics.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Default Citroen Safari Station Wagon

For the record, this is how I think the exhaust 'should' be on a Safari...Citroen Safari Station Wagon-imageuploadedbyaussiefrogs1408017826.942471.jpgCitroen Safari Station Wagon-imageuploadedbyaussiefrogs1408017846.008235.jpgCitroen Safari Station Wagon-imageuploadedbyaussiefrogs1408017876.208078.jpg

I can't seem to find any pics of the new mod, but the new piping just swings to have the tips behind the passenger side rear wheel.

And I was inaccurate about the rear hatch seals. Yes, there is ribbed rubber around the edge, but I didn't think there was any where the two doors close against each other.

Paul in Canberra

Subaru WRX

And now....Citroen Safari Station Wagon-imageuploadedbyaussiefrogs1408143593.688301.jpgCitroen Safari Station Wagon-imageuploadedbyaussiefrogs1408143611.753148.jpg

Paul in Canberra

Subaru WRX

That's a pretty Safari!

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information