Xantia brake valve return line leak, advice please.
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Xantia brake valve return line leak, advice please.

I'm in trouble again !!! I replaced the brake valve on my '94 Xantia VSX Auto last weekend.
    I had to replace the first section of the large rubber return line using 1/4" hydraulic hose [ 6mm unobtainable ] with a clamp, & a joining fitting in to the original line.
    The new hose is leaking badly despite the clamp, & even the join drips despite two clamps. I know I may have over tightened the clamp on the brake valve end,but I am still surprised that there is enough pressure there to leak as badly as it is.
    I have tried blowing back to the tank through the old line & it is not possible & I can't see why.
    Questions:

1. Should I be able to blow back through the return line to the tank ?

2. Does anyone have a schematic of the return lines ?

3. If the return line is blocked [ pinched somewhere ], is there any reason why I shouldn't run a new line & T it into a return at the tank & block off the old one ?

Advertisement

Any advice gratefully received thankyou.

Cheers,
    Richard

Yes, the line should blow back - you have probably shaved off bits of hose when installing your joiner.

See my notes on skinning the return trees, as tried also by JBN and Jason Hantos, this will enable you to sort it 100%.

1000+ Posts

Mate I had the same problem! If it is leaking from the join on the old hose side, pull the hose off and look carefully at the end. Believe you will find that the hose has two layers - a thicker inner hose, with a thinner, more resilient outer layer. The layers are not stuck together. I expect that you will see a crack in the inner layer.

My problem was that the inner hose had gone hard, and even though I'd cut it off 500mm or so from the brake valve, when the joiner was pushed in, the hard inner split! The outer was unaffected, so this allowed LHM to get in between the layers, and seep out at the join. Left sitting it would practically drain the LHM tank!

The problem seems to be caused by engine heat. By cutting nearer the LHM tank I found a section still flexible enough to take the joiner without splitting.

Hope this helps! Obviously if there is a blockage as Addo suggests, you will need to resolve that too...

Alec

Fellow Frogger!

Well i finally succeeded in getting the Xantia leak free. Blowing back through the return line revealed no obstruction & when i pulled it out there was no evidence of it being pinched. I wasn't game to reuse it & eventually found some 5.5mm fuel hose which fitted tightly over the brake valve spigot & joined it at the octopus at the tank end. Fixed two other weeping joins by previous owners & no more leaks....for the moment !
    I removed the brake pedal plunger spring & replaced it with washers leaving a smidgeon of cushion, so it is now delightfully responsive.
    Having to remove the dashboard because of my health circumstances & sight problems [trifocals] has made this job an absolute saga which I have no desire to ever repeat. If I have to replace / repair a brake valve again I will wash it down with petrol & dry it with a match !
    Thanks Adam & Alec for your advice.

Richard

Thread Information