CX window winder
  • Register
  • Help
    WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Default CX window winder

Hi,

Would anyone out there have a drivers side manual window winder that would fit an 85 GTI (or where I might find one)? I am going to have to wind the window by hand untill I can get to the door wiring....

thanks

Warren

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger

I doubt you'd even find a manual front window reg here. They are all electric and late cars are different to early cars as you've already discussed in one of your earlier threads. Would you also punch a hole in the door trim for the handle??? Just leave the thing up until you can fix it and do the job once, properly.

Default CX window winder

Quote Originally Posted by WRB View Post
    Hi,

Would anyone out there have a drivers side manual window winder that would fit an 85 GTI (or where I might find one)? I am going to have to wind the window by hand untill I can get to the door wiring....

thanks

Warren
    Jam up one of the rear windows & use the mechanism in the front until required . Remove the map pocket carpet section & pop out the winder cover (or maybe the '85's don't have one?) otherwise you'll have to drive around without a door trim. But do you have rear electric? I have a set of manual winders. It sounds easier just to fix the wiring or by-pass the issue & use the cigarette lighter for the time being?
    Citroen C5 II manual '05; C4 Exculsive '07; Citroen CX2200 Pallas '76; CX2400 C-matic Pallas '78

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

It is the wiring that is at fault so, moving one from the back won't work.... not being able to open the drivers window is really annoying but, I won't be to replace the wiring without removing until I have the dash out - I think - cannot work out where it goes once it enters the A pillar

Yes my suggestion would only work if you had manual rear's. The power comes direct from the switches into a well wrapped loom. One relay activated by the ignition powers them (check it too)
    Does the electric mirror work? That would give you a live positive & simple to wire in a momentary rocker switch direct in the door for the time being. As Gerry or Shane have suggested the opening & closing of door has degraded the wiring specifically in the join area. Use a meter & check you have power at the switch plug. 5 pins. No.3 positive, 2&3 negative. 1&5 go to door. Does the fuse keep blowing? Do any of the other windows work? I had a dash fire due to the heater controls rubbing the blower positive against the sharp gearstick mount under the gaiter. It's very tightly packed under the console. A new lead connected to pins 1&5 direct to door following the speaker wire could solve it?
    Citroen C5 II manual '05; C4 Exculsive '07; Citroen CX2200 Pallas '76; CX2400 C-matic Pallas '78

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

what year CX is it ?? If it's an earlier one the wiring comes straight out of the pillar and into the door. If it's this type, there wire will be broken at the flex point in the door opening. If it's the later type (exits the pillar and one height, and enters the door at a different height) the wiring shoudl then be fine (as it marginally twists the wire rather than flex it in one spot). If this is the case, check the fuses have contact (they won't be blown, they could be intermittant in the fuse holder though). Check the window relay above the battery, and finally the swithc..... it's most likely to be the switch, if the passenger side works, swap the switches over and see if the drivers side now works. You can whip the switches apart and clean the contacts.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

as shane said, swap the switches,my old cx had a fault on pass window, swapped drivers switch over,it worked, pulled faulty one
    apart, a good clean then it worked, also had a broken wire at the door opening one time.

Series I CX switches are cheap enough, just remove the chrome surround & add it to one of these:
    http://m.ebay.com.au/itm?itemId=400612438217

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

It is getting power to the motor, just not enough. The other windows come down very slowly and need help getting back up again. The central locking is very slow and, I keep it unlocked as it has locked me out a couple of times.... The battery is not well and so, that won't be helping. I will replace that first and then worl methodically through all of the wiring.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

yep, voltage drop... check the fuses and battery terminals (ie: the power feed over to the black plastic distribution box beside the battery).
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Thread Information