DS Ignition Timing
  • Register
  • Help

Default DS Ignition Timing

I should know the answer to this - but I'm tying myself up in knots at the moment... and the manuals are not that clear.

Both my cars (69 and 71 model years) have the flywheel slot located at 12 crankshaft degrees BTDC. (The later cars the slot is at TDC).

I have the graduated scale fitted above the camshaft pulley with no marks on it, but I want to set the final timing using a timing light.

12 crankshaft degrees means 6 camshaft degrees - so the mark on the camshaft pulley should be made on the graduated scale at 6 degrees...?

Advertisement

This is effectively the static timing position - but this is where it's confusing in the manuals.

The manual talks about 20 degrees of crankshaft advance at 2000 rpm being the equivalent of 4 degrees of distributor advance (or camshaft advance as they turn at the same rate) which does not make sense.

Can someone point me to a relatively straight forward set of instructions on how to do this for an earlier car...?

Many thanks in advance,

Mark...

Fellow Frogger!

When they talk of distributor advance they mean the degrees that it physically rotates as measured by a scale attached to the distributor body. In your case , being a four cylinder motor, the distributor rotates at a fourth of the speed of the crankshaft

Richard

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the reply - however the distributor turns at the same speed as the camshaft....

I think I've nutted it out.

The instructions say to set the static timing (12 degrees crankshaft advance) using the pin, then paint a mark on the camshaft pulley at the "0" mark. This threw me as it should really be at the 6 degree mark. (camshaft rotates 1/2 the speed of the cam).

Setting the timing with the lamp calls for aligning the camshaft mark with the 4 degrees mark on the camshaft scale at 2000 rpm which gives 20 degrees crankshaft advance at 2000 rpm.

Because the mark was set on the "0" when the static timing was set it already has 12 crankshaft degrees/6 camshaft degrees advance.

6 camshaft degrees plus 4 camshaft degrees on the scale equals 10 camshaft degrees, or 20 crankshaft degrees advance.

Simple really...LOL

Cheers,

Mark....

Thread Information