Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By GreenBlood
  • 1 Post By GreenBlood
  • 1 Post By addo
  • 1 Post By Roger Wilkinson

Thread: DS Steering rack boots - fitting

Icon2 DS Steering rack boots - fitting

One for Matthew

I picked this tip up on an Italian Citroen forum.

Getting a rack boot over the centre stud can be a challenge this provides a smooth path up and over the stud.

Advertisement

Another method I have seen is to use two ring spanners over the stud, and tape into position (as above).

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DS Steering rack boots - fitting-1plastic-hose.jpg   DS Steering rack boots - fitting-2plastic-hose.jpg   DS Steering rack boots - fitting-3plastic-hose.jpg   DS Steering rack boots - fitting-4boots-place.jpeg  
    David S and DS like this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Fellow Frogger

Most helpful. Was it done dry or did he add some lubricant? The direction you run your tape can also make a difference.
    If the standard of repro rubber extends to these boots, this may become a more common DIY job.

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Most helpful. Was it done dry or did he add some lubricant? The direction you run your tape can also make a difference.
    If the standard of repro rubber extends to these boots, this may become a more common DIY job.
    I've suggested to Matthew that a little LHM might be helpful. . .

As to current rubber replacements we are not alone in complaining, link is not working at the moment but the Germans are not happy. A member of www.ds-freunde.de forum is having a go at Dirk Sassen after fitting the small hose from the water pump to lower steel pipe, split severely after a very short time.

I'm seeing repro rubber I've used turning to dust before my eyes - lesson keep and use any old rubber parts in preference to the repro crap, buy up any NOS you can lay your hands on!

Cheers
    Chris
    UFO likes this.
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Why is it happening? And have these "repro rubber" geniuses yet turned their skills to family planning (I hope not)?

The pictures are great; it reminds me of a python eating a rabbit.
    GreenBlood likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Why is it happening? And have these "repro rubber" geniuses yet turned their skills to family planning (I hope not)?

The pictures are great; it reminds me of a python eating a rabbit.
    I suspect it all comes down to cost, when Michelin owned Citroen they certainly knew a thing or two about rubber. The repro stuff looks the goods but stinks in all respects!!! Something needs to change or it will be the death of all hydraulic Citroens.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Icon3 Case in point

We've drifted a little off topic but I guess still relevant to rack boots. . . As David suggested we better get used to fitting new as the repro crap won't last like the old stuff - you may be lucky to get new to stretch over the stud. . .

This is a part I paid good money for not more than a year or so back, never been on the car and the headlights only ever used to test my wiring loom

Not at all critical to the car, but typical of replacement rubber components! Doesn't look too good for suspension boots etc that almost fail before you move the car from the garage.

I note that Othello of Citothello will no longer do restorations other than for himself and close associates as he can no longer guarantee his work, not only rubber but many of the repro hydraulic parts are just not up to scratch. . .

http://www.citrothello.net/ds-21-ver...le-restau-010/

And on Wednesday 16 April 2014 that I book the DS to Philippe. There are small things to see, as Philippe live 30 minutes from my home, will not be a concern. Philippe is my last 'client', since I will no longer make the DS for people who contact me via my website, but just for me and my 2 best friends. It is too much work, too much responsibility, really extremely complicated the DS and SM, the refabrications are often of poor quality. These parameters lead me to no longer do for people.

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DS Steering rack boots - fitting-repro-rubber.jpg  
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

I'd wondered if it had something to do with ROHS controls over what went in the rubber. Had been given the idea some components had toxic metal oxides in the polymer make-up.

Fellow Frogger

I can see the 'Retread' thread coming ... My most recent example is the DS C-pillar base L-shaped rubbers - literally cracking up after about 2 years. They must have learnt how to make finest British rubber. It's unfortunate, especially when you consider I can look at a 1960 ID19 that has sat in a paddock since the 1970's and find the door rubbers are still in excellent condition. Cooling hoses, which are not reinforced can remain supple and serviceable after 40 years. It's not a Citroen only problem though as I've had aftermarket parts for other cars crack up without even being fitted or just turn out to be rubbish on the car. I don't know what conclusions should be made about the likely service life of suspension seals and parts like height corrector membranes. You can still buy factory rear boots for a DS, so they are worth the extra money.

mnm

Thanks Chris... a picture says a 1000 words! Richo suggested a little aaahh personal lube for the slip over..

I have a pair of original Citroen boots still in their plastic bags to use. Hopefully they'll withstand the stretch.

Matthew

Icon4

Quote Originally Posted by mnm View Post
    Thanks Chris... a picture says a 1000 words! Richo suggested a little aaahh personal lube for the slip over..

I have a pair of original Citroen boots still in their plastic bags to use. Hopefully they'll withstand the stretch.

Matthew
    hmmm, something I don't keep on hand Matthew, may have to get Richo to send some up

NOS boots, you're in like Flynn

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post

As to current rubber replacements we are not alone in complaining, link is not working at the moment but the Germans are not happy. A member of DS-Freunde.de forum is having a go at Dirk Sassen after fitting the small hose from the water pump to lower steel pipe, split severely after a very short time.

Cheers
    Chris
    Link appears to be working again . . .

www.ds-freunde.de/kunena/technik/466-k%C3%BChlwasserschlauch-vielen-dank-herr-sassen.html?limitstart=0 - Translator

On the car for a few weeks, how shabby is that for a vital part!

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DS Steering rack boots - fitting-water-pump-hose.jpg   DS Steering rack boots - fitting-water-pump-hose2.jpg  
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Nice work, fellas. I have only ever fitted a steering rack boot my dismantling the rack.

The way to get yourself some KY jelly without embarrassing yourself is to host Richo for a visit and allow him to buy you a tube. That's how I got mine. The man has no shame!

Roger
    addo likes this.

I suspect it all comes down to cost, when Michelin owned Citroen they certainly knew a thing or two about rubber. The repro stuff looks the goods but stinks in all respects!!! Something needs to change or it will be the death of all hydraulic Citroens.

Cheers
    Chris
    It won't be the rubber. It will be the hacks that don't know what they are doing.

Via the aussiefrogs App

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by daffyduck View Post
    It won't be the rubber. It will be the hacks that don't know what they are doing.
    It's possible to stuff up a job with factory parts, but there is a problem with some repro products. You don't need to have any ability to balls something up when it just rots away or crumbles sitting in a box waiting to be used. I've had that with the rubber buffer for the rear bar/guards and the boot on the clutch lever, just to name two. I'm also 100% confident I can fit a rear boot on a DS correctly, so the fact that the repro rubber parts there is starting to split is not an assembly issue.

If I read that link correctly, the water hose in question had sat around for 5 years. Similar issues with a tank neck joiner apparently. I have that same part in a box, but it's more recently acquired and looks fine so far, so maybe the rubber formula has been changed? Comparing a NOS regulator return tube with what is sold as repro for that job, I would be dubious about the repro part and would probably be better off making something up from hose made by a manufacturer with known quality like Gates.
    Last edited by David S; 8th June 2014 at 04:16 PM.

Yes. Most of the repro stuff is Terrible.

Doing the Daffyduck dance via the AussieFrogs app.

Try maintaing a D in Darwin... Hell to all rubber compounds!

Cheers
    Chris
    I think it may also have something to do with Michelin's vast rubber plantation holdings in the earlier years which delivered legendary tyres like the original 'X'. Many plantations are being, have been replaced by the more lucrative palm oil industry plantations and supply of high grade latex may be drying up. Modern rubbers are good, particularly silicon rubbers but most latex based rubbers nowadays are heavily extended by additives such as chalk which might explain the tendency to split.

There may be a bit of urban mythology in above comments but I've heard it from a couple of reputable sources.

SF

I was just pondering all this again in light of my "Brand F" vehicles. The repro parts I have for them, in boxes since 1999, are perfect; supple and like new. Most are made in the US by Dennis Carpenter. Perhaps they might do well subcontracting for Dee parts?

Fellow Frogger!

Michelin tyre tubes always held air far longer than any of the alternatives in my experience.

Richard

Thread Information