Windscreen and Headlamp Washers
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Windscreen and Headlamp Washers

I recently purchased a second hand C6 and I am very happy with it but I have problems with the washers.
    I see by other posts that there is a problem with the connecting hoses disconnecting under the bonnet lining. Mine had done that on the driver's side and after reconnecting it blew off again, this appears to have been this way for some time as the lining has dropped from being constantly soaked with water.
    I have fixed this problem by using a heavier hose for the connection. But after fixing the driver's side it then disconnected on the other side.
    Also the drivers side headlamp jet has blown the ball/nozzle out of its holder. Is it possible to re-glue this into the holder?
    Is there a pressure limiting valve somewhere for these pumps?

Advertisement

Maybe, with the headlamp jet - once it's set right you could "stick" it with strategic dabs from a soldering iron.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

For your windshield nozzles, you could try a small tie-wrap/zip tie around the hose at the nozzle barbs. Sorta like a hose clamp. Is the washer pump for the headlights separate of the windshield pump? You might be able to try a somewhat gentler pump, like an aftermarket one. You may have to go as far as new nozzles. The old ones are blown out, so any retainer is going to be weak at best. At this point, give Addo's idea a try- just a couple of stakes on each socket should do it.

Gotta admit, I have never heard of your problem before.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Unless the C6 was a radical departure from before, the headlight washers are fed by a high volume pump off a shared reservoir. The reservoir usually has a humped form to its base, so that below a critical level one pump cannot steal from the other's source. As the water pressure also usually causes the jet to extend outwards from its parking position, it's not really practical to reduce the pressure much.

Fellow Frogger

Some washer additives can leave a film inside the pipes and washer jets. Rather like arterial narrowing, so you might want to clean the nozzles out in case there is an obstruction.

The headlamp washer system is like the C5 and others where the washer yet is mounted on a telescopic stalk. The water pressure generated has to be enough to both extend the stalk 6 inches or so and squirt the headlight. It's one of the requirements of having HID lamps, level adjustment being another. Ask yourself whether the hoses are adequately secured and whether any glued repairs will withstand that pressure. The end is intended to clip securely onto the stalk and that should be enough unless it's damaged. You could pull the stalk out, clamp it and drill some small holes to wire (stainless prefereably) the end on if need be.

Thread Information