Heavy steering DS
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ds21bvh

Thread: Heavy steering DS

Fellow Frogger!

Default Heavy steering DS

The DS steering has become very heavy when on full lock ie. U turns and parking.

No noticable hydraulic leak at rack and the reservoir is full.

Rack was reconditioned 2 yrs, although I opted not the replace the valves as they still showed signs of longevity.

Any ideas?

Harley

Sent via the future...

Advertisement

Open the bonnet and inspect all articulating items looking for obstructions. For instance, a return line or wire catching on the rotating union or a light control rod binding on a battery tray.

Next test, set the car on stands.
    Whip the steering from lock to lock looking for freedom of movement. If it whips easily, with the engine running it should be like melted butter smooth.
    Old, hard tires seem to have an impact on steering. So does a low pressure main sphere. Check the main sphere first.

Doing the Daffyduck dance via the AussieFrogs app.

Fellow Frogger!

I suspect you have run out of accumulator pressure. Is it really a DS or a DSpecial as the accumulators may be different. I suspect you will be feeling the steering effort change with the actual engagement of the HP pump. Does it vary assistance at other than full lock ? Is the HP pump constantly operating ? There should be some time between the pump actioning as the accumulator(s) supply the immediate demand.
    To run the car with no accumulator reserve runs the risk of HP pipe fracture as the highs and lows of pump output cannot be absorbed. A bit like pipe hammer in house walls.

Hi Harley,

Check you front tyre pressure - this can make a big difference. I run mine at about 38 on XAS's as a good compromise between steering effort, ride and wear.

Cheers,

Mark...
    Boyracer likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for the replies.

I think fritzelhund is on to it! It is a Dspecial.
    I loose power assist then steering hard, parking or u-turns. The pump cycles for a very long time, driving straight and at idle I have the standard interval pump cycles. So it's looking like accumulator sphere, which I replaced with new when I did the steering rack a couple of years back.
    I don't remember the accumulators being expensive, $70? Roger Parker recommended buy new at that price, should I go down that path again?

Cheers,

Harley

how frequent is the cut in of the pump? I'd suggest its also an internal leak in the rack.
    CITROEN CAR CLUB of NSW - MEMBER. www.citroencarclub.org.au. . .www.facebook.com/CCCNSW
    08FD DSPECIAL "Dear Prudence wont you come out to play?"
    00FF7512 DS23SAFARI "Pull up to my bumper Baby, in your long black limousine."
    C2MY06 C2VTR "Go speed racer, Go"
    YDO005 MORRIS MINI DELUXE "The Mini Deluxe floats on fluid too"

Fellow Frogger!

Yes I fear it may be an internal leak from the valves that I didn't replace with new. Will it cause high cycle rate at idle or only under steering?

Cheers,

Harley

Quote Originally Posted by Harley View Post
    Yes I fear it may be an internal leak from the valves that I didn't replace with new. Will it cause high cycle rate at idle or only under steering?

Cheers,

Harley
    Both. Its a common failing with the steering rams. They do a lot of work and don't last forever.
    Just try and ensure you have a healthy regulator and regularly gassed accumulator, break, and suspension spheres and general system health including resto work to the suspension cylinders and the 'felts' because theres potential for internal leaks from worn felts in there too. while components are individual, they all run from the central system, so they are dependent on each other . the pump and accumulator take up all the slack and are usually the first to show signs of something not up to its best. just try to get the whole system working with not too many leaks. Something to work towards.
    CITROEN CAR CLUB of NSW - MEMBER. www.citroencarclub.org.au. . .www.facebook.com/CCCNSW
    08FD DSPECIAL "Dear Prudence wont you come out to play?"
    00FF7512 DS23SAFARI "Pull up to my bumper Baby, in your long black limousine."
    C2MY06 C2VTR "Go speed racer, Go"
    YDO005 MORRIS MINI DELUXE "The Mini Deluxe floats on fluid too"

Fellow Frogger!

Experienced heavy steering as you described in DS23 when the steering rack union and steering column were out of alignment. Your rack was reconditioned two years ago so probably not relevant at this late stage .......worth checking as a last resort.

Fellow Frogger!

Harley,

Does it take the car longer than normal to come up to normal drive height after sitting overnight, now, compared to before the problem with the steering started? If you can say definitely no, then the problem is more than likely in the rack itself - most likely with either one of two of RU's internal Teflon wear strips or the center seal in the power piston end of the steering. If you are unsure or feel that it does - then the primary suspect is the pump. An internal crack in the pump's piston body can cause a great loss of pumped fluid volume with no external leaks. The steering uses more volume of fluid, at pressure, when in operation than any other part of the car. A compromised pump will be unable to keep up with the volume demand of the steering rack - especially when parking or making a U-turn as engine speed is typically at less than 1200 or so rpm.

With the car on stands as others have suggested do the rapid lock to lock test. A good pump will be able to keep up with fluid demand regardless of the condition or pressure of the main accumulator at normal engine idle speed (750 or so rpm). A compromised pump will quickly fall behind, the steering will start to stiffen up and the hydraulic pressure light will in most cases, start to flicker on and off.

teve

Thread Information