Catalytic Converter C5
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jaahn

Thread: Catalytic Converter C5

Tadpole

Icon9 Catalytic Converter C5

My 2004 V6 auto C5 has a problem with the gearbox really struggling to change between gears (read as have to force it or nurse it through gears) and an acceleration problem. It has stopped a few times when i have slowed to corner and then accelerate again. No faults are showing right now but it has had the anti pollution show in the past.
    I have taken it to my local mechanic who has worked on my previous citroens. He thinks it's the catalytic converter causing these issues as he said he did a diagnostic test (not sure of the fault codes).

Issue is the cost will be close to $3k to replace both catalytic converters and hope this was the cause.

Advertisement

Anyone have any suggestions?

1000+ Posts

Or a blocked particle filter?

1000+ Posts

Hi
    If it is a catalytic converter or two then just go to an exhaust shop and get some generic aftermarket ones fitted for a third or less even. I have had a single one fitted to other brand cars for a couple of hundred !! They just cut the pipes and weld in the new one.

CCs can fail by blocking up, or the matrix falls apart and blocks the outlet. Usually happens after you have had a tank of crap fuel and they overheat !!

They can be tested for blockage by putting a pressure gauge into the first O2 sensor hole and reading the back pressure.
    cheers jaahn
    David S likes this.

Fellow Frogger

It's a petrol, so no particle filter. The main catalytic converter has been known to block up, so your mechanic may be correct. You can of course buy genuine parts, but maybe fitting the $500 local alternative in place of the main converter is a sensible choice. It may change the exhaust note though, particularly if the skin is stainless. Changing the small one on each manifold is a fair amount of work, so maybe inspect and possibly change the main one first and see how it goes.

Fellow Frogger!

Hello

I had a sort of similar problem with my v6 c5. I was told it was the cats so I replaced those. Didn't fix it so then the dealer said it was the coil packs. Did those and still didn't fix the problem. I ended up going elsewhere and the mechanic quickly diagnosed it as a dud fuel pump.

The car would struggle to accelerate unless you were using only the lightest throttle. And engine would cut out all the time.

New pump fitted was around $700 from memory.
    And with regards to the catalytic converters, I replaced both small cats, the ones on the exhaust manifolds. I got them from eBay uk for I think $500 ish total delivered. The citroen dealer wanted $4500. Those ones are a pretty specific fit and I think you would have trouble making universal ones fit. The 3rd one further down the exhaust might not be a problem though.

Good luck
    Ben

1000+ Posts

+1 on fuel pump. Your symptoms do sound very similar to a problem I had with muck on fuel strainer on bottom of in-tank fuel tank. Presume the muck was mobilised by me using 10% ethanol fuel.

Cheers

Alec

Thread Information