Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By GreenBlood
  • 3 Post By ScotFrog
  • 2 Post By mnm

Thread: Stainless steel polishing kit.

mnm

Default Stainless steel polishing kit.

Hello

can anyone recommend a polishing kit for a bench grinder? Wheels, pastes, sizes, grades etc.. I want to have a go at polishing my bumper bars etc..

thanks

Matthew

Advertisement

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by mnm View Post
    Hello

can anyone recommend a polishing kit for a bench grinder? Wheels, pastes, sizes, grades etc.. I want to have a go at polishing my bumper bars etc..

thanks

Matthew
    I've been using a kit I bought from Bunnings for stainless - it contained two compounds (green and white) and buffing wheels I fit to a drill.

If an area is quite scratched I'll work down through several wet and dry papers maybe starting with 400 grit and ending with 1500 before buffing.

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stainless steel polishing kit.-hubcaps.jpg  
    Kenfuego and shanadoo like this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Dťesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Dťesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Dťesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Quote Originally Posted by mnm View Post
    Hello

thanks

Matthew
    Hi Matthew,
    That's very kind of you to polish these hub caps before you post them to me. Really there is no need to though.

SF
    mnm, Hotrodelectric and shanadoo like this.

mnm

Yes, I just found this previously posted article... it would appear sanding is the go first..

http://www.widman.biz/uploads/Polishing_Stainless.pdf

Matthew

Fellow Frogger

Just remember that sanding with anything coarse leaves deep scratches and you then have to remove a lot more metal to remove them. Sanding over again with finer paper doesn't fully correct this if you've created deep scratches. It's possibly better to just use more of the fine grade paper, although it might be slower. It's a boring and quite messy job. You could mount the buffing wheels from that Bunnings kit in a cheapie XU1 drill and then place the drill in a vice as a makeshift substitute for a bench unit. If you do, wrap some electrical tape around the chuck (think about the wrapping direction too) as a small miscalculation will ruin your finish!

Is now a good time to remind everyone that stainless scratches very easily and how it is stored is really important. There is a reason that finished stainless items have a plastic covering when new. A little care with it and some extra wrapping and tape in storage might save a lot of hassle. Pitting is also an issue with old stainless and lichen present on a paddock car can leave an otherwise straight piece of trim looking very pock marked.
    Last edited by David S; 28th May 2014 at 06:31 PM.

Was CitroŽn stainless, chromed over the top?

mnm

There is a bench unit at Mum's place so I was thinking of using it with some sisal wheels. I just need to get up there and see the spindle set up to attach them. Currently has a sharpening wheel on it from memory.

Matthew

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Was CitroŽn stainless, chromed over the top?
    Depends where and how old. Most of the trim on later DS, GS and CX cars is stainless, but there is also some aluminium, either plated, brushed or anodised. You really need to go by model and age to know, but it's fairly obvious. When it comes to a Slough ID/DS, you find that many parts are plated over various substrates, where a stainless or polished aluminium might have been used on a similar French-built car.

Fellow Frogger!

I started using hand drills to polish both aluminium and stainless, then I discovered that my 16-speed drill press.had much higher speeds and that combined with the brown rouge that came in the polishing kit worked well. Among the stuff I did was an aluminium windscreen surround from a Traction. It was in pretty bad shape and I started with a belt sander, running along the frame rather than across. Then 600 paper by hand, then 1200. I started to polish using using an ordinary buffing compound, the same as I use to cut paint back, then to brown rouge and finish with one of the chrome or aluminium polishes that comes in a small tube. Not only did this work on aluminium but on some stainless stock I made brackets from. It just takes patience and not too much pressure on those small moulding trims on French cars.

Fellow Frogger!

Good tip on the bench press Allen, have some Traction trim to polish so this will be handy, and thanks for all the other experience so readily shared, should save quite a bit of time, not to mention frustration.
    Peter
    1950 11BL
    1970 AZUA "La Poste" van
    1986 2CV Dolly (red and white)
    2004 C5 HDi silver 2.0L

Thread Information