Split collet bearing extractor
  • Register
  • Help

Default Split collet bearing extractor

I don't know whether it's my memory, my lack of basic search skills or simply a figment of my imagination, but I seem to recall someone, possibly one of the Amazingly Creative Rogers, illustrating a thread about a special tool they'd created for removing needle roller bearings or similar from inside a blind hole.

The type of tool is, I believe, called a split collet and should look a bit like a tall thin top hat with a narrow brim. It's made out of a piece of round steel which has the brim machined on it then the centre drilled and tapped. Next stage was to cut the whole thing longitudinally so it can be weaselled into the blind hole and the brim inserted behind the bearing housing. Screwing in the bolt then expands the dingus into the right space and then the bearing can be pulled out , with the approriate bridging and tugging stuff.

Advertisement

OK, I know that's a technical explanation ( ) but I'm sure I recall a step by step description of manufacture.

I just can't find it anywhere on this forum. Assuming it actually was on this forum, does anyone recall it and able to direct me threadwards?

Why do I need this I hear you cry in strangled tones?

I'm at the stage of wanting to extract the needle roller bearing from the original HP pump as I've sourced a replacement.

Can't squeeze in the replacement until I get the old one out.

Can't get the old one out until I make the tool.

Can't make the tool until I finish a minor repair on the old lathe. (Home made face plate needs re-welding and re-trueing)

Also can't make the tool accurately without guidance from the above thread. (Well I probably could but I'd like to be sure I'm on the right track first)

It just goes on and on!

Ah well, that's what being a hobbyist is all about!

Cheers for now, Pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") Seasoned traveller
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Next project
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

1000+ Posts

Slide hammer puller? Perhaps similar to this - 9538 T&E Tools Slide Hammer Pilot Bearing Puller

If you don't mind destroying the bearing, I've heard of an expanding masonry anchor being used. The classic method was to pack the whole thing with grease and then hammer a tight fitting shaft or rod into the hole - the pressure pushed out the bearing.
    Last edited by seasink; 27th May 2014 at 06:06 PM.

Thanks, but no thanks. I've got one similar to that.

The problem is that the gap between the inner end of the bearing race and the housing is around 1mm. The unit I've got needs about 3 or 4mm so is unsuitable unless I grind it down a tad, which I really don't want to do.

As for the grease and hammer method, I've used that successfully in the past on spigot bushes as they're a blind hole, but it won't work on this as the hole is open all the way through as the main shaft passes though it.

The bearing is item 25 on this cutaway.

Cheers for now, Pottsy

Cheers, Pottsy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Split collet bearing extractor-pumpsect.jpg  
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by pottsy View Post
    I don't know whether it's my memory, my lack of basic search skills or simply a figment of my imagination, but I seem to recall someone, possibly one of the Amazingly Creative Rogers, illustrating a thread about a special tool they'd created for removing needle roller bearings or similar from inside a blind hole.

The type of tool is, I believe, called a split collet and should look a bit like a tall thin top hat with a narrow brim. It's made out of a piece of round steel which has the brim machined on it then the centre drilled and tapped. Next stage was to cut the whole thing longitudinally so it can be weaselled into the blind hole and the brim inserted behind the bearing housing. Screwing in the bolt then expands the dingus into the right space and then the bearing can be pulled out , with the approriate bridging and tugging stuff.

OK, I know that's a technical explanation ( ) but I'm sure I recall a step by step description of manufacture.

I just can't find it anywhere on this forum. Assuming it actually was on this forum, does anyone recall it and able to direct me threadwards?

Why do I need this I hear you cry in strangled tones?

I'm at the stage of wanting to extract the needle roller bearing from the original HP pump as I've sourced a replacement.

Can't squeeze in the replacement until I get the old one out.

Can't get the old one out until I make the tool.

Can't make the tool until I finish a minor repair on the old lathe. (Home made face plate needs re-welding and re-trueing)

Also can't make the tool accurately without guidance from the above thread. (Well I probably could but I'd like to be sure I'm on the right track first)

It just goes on and on!

Ah well, that's what being a hobbyist is all about!

Cheers for now, Pottsy
    Weren't me - I've never replaced the needle bearing. On the Yahoo Sport Maserati -L forum Steve Hammond in the USA has just posted some info on the pump quote "The needle bearing that supports the inner end of the drive shaft can be a real PITA to remove, even with the proper tools". Suggest you quiz Steve on what the proper tool looks like.
    I dont think the suggestion of filling with grease and whacking in a close fitting drift would work in a needle bearing - the grease would leak between the rollers.
    roger

1000+ Posts

A home made version of this? Gedore

That Gedore tool would be high on the list of things I'd like to have in my arsenal, but I suspect would cost halfway between a King's ransom and the National Debt to buy!

This is an image of a tool very much like the one I vaguely remember being detailed, and failing being able to find the original info, it's pretty much what I plan to make. I'll groove it for a couple of o-rings instead of the spring ring but it should work in principle.

If you want to buy one like that then obviously Samstag Sales is the place to go. I guess you also need a VW to use it.

Thanks for the thoughts so far chaps.

Pottsy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Split collet bearing extractor-vw_matra_10-202.jpg  
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

I'd suggest you look at fabricating something based on the tapered mandrel from a dyna bolt. You are halfway there with the expansion device.
    or

How about a dyna bolt? Modify by cutting some more expansion slots at the end of the sleeve(use an angle grinder with a thin disk). This will make the end expand more evenly and grab the bearing better.

After all its not a tool you will use a lot . And the cost of dyna bolt and mods is nothing.

It may not be according-to-manual and even if it destroys the needle roller that on the cards with any tool.

I'm a realist and subscribe to the theory sometimes the end justifies the means.

Wasn't me either. I have replaced a front bearing, but not a rear one.

Can you hammer it out with a punch? Or weld a cap on it and punch that out?

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    Wasn't me either. I have replaced a front bearing, but not a rear one.

Can you hammer it out with a punch? Or weld a cap on it and punch that out?

Roger
    That's a rural solution if ever I heard one!

It could well come to that but I was trying for a bit of engineering elegance before I reverted to my normal type of butchery.

If I could get anything behind it then hammering would be a solution but unfortunately the housing is level roughly with the mid point of the rollers so the only way of pulling it is to get into the narrow gap between the end of the cage and the inside of the housing. Interestingly the cutaway doesn't even show any gap there so I dunno how you're supposed to do it then! I heated the surrounds with a hot air gun and tried levering with a flattened bit of steel but didn't seem to gain any ground.

Destruction may yet happen if I get too frustrated! At least I've got a couple of potential replacements on the way.

As far as the vague memory I have of a tool description goes, then if it wasn't a Roger I must have seen it elsewhere I'm thinking. Any one of 3 or 4 other Fora may have featured it.

Anyway, I reckon I've got the design pretty well sussed in my head. Time will tell.

Thanks blokes. Pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

Pottsy if Roger's suggestion was truly rural it would involve fence wire.
    Could it be shrunk out with liquid Nitrogen or the slightly more subtle more way more flammable liquid propane ie a can of Freeze Release.
    Me would be reaching for a long punch and a 24 Oz hammer. Have had to remove similar in the past and with the deft use of 'Red Mist' the bearing was removed.
    Brendan.

Red Mist. Is that a single malt or a blend?

I thought I detected some movement when I heated the neck with the hot air gun so maybe that and a squirt of freezy inside will do the trick.

I don't think a long punch would do it either. As I mentioned before there's not really any kind of lip visible from the front end of the hole. If the bearing was set flush like in the cutaway drawing I'm buggered if I can see how anything short of destruction would get it out.

Got to baby sit the Grand-daughter today but back into it tomorrow.

Cheers, Pottsy.
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

Quote Originally Posted by pottsy View Post
    Got to baby sit the Grand-daughter today but back into it tomorrow.
    That's no excuse. Teach her some mechanics. One day she will thank you for it.

Cheers,
    Roger

Fair suck of the Rosella bottle. She's not yet 2 years old!

She'll get a sound mechanical indoctrination from her Petrol headed Grandfather, Father and two Uncles don't you worry!

She's already tried on the Mini for size but when you're too small for a brick a DS is batting way too high.

Cheers, Pottsy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Split collet bearing extractor-munchkin-mini.jpg  
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

Just remember that small kids have really small hands for getting small stuff into really small places.

Cheers,

Ken W

Just the thing to indoctrinate young one's in things mechanical. My daughter used to play the Gearhead Garage and learnt more about mechanical parts/what they do and where they fit than most adults ever will and had fun doing it.

GearheadGarage.com
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Looks like a winner. My blokes just got greasy in the garage with me.

Anyway, in between times today I managed to get to the bearing place and pick up the potential replacement for the central bearing. Herewith a photo.

Definitely light on in the roller department but I'm wondering if that's really a problem. The side loads are relatively small. I'm sure someone out there can tell me what the relative merits are in this application. The original bearing has 34 rollers while the replacement looks to have only about 20 or so. (Don't ask me how I know how many are in the original! Butchery happened, alright? Enough said!)

I've now got the old race out of the housing and the next job is to clean the inside of the housing up so it's back to factory smooth.

Then it'll be a case of lapping and buffing so that all the bits are as clean as I can get them and as flat as they're supposed to be.

If I don't hear about a replacement main bearing in the next week or so I'll probably go ahead with the original. It's been stripped, cleaned, scrutinised and reassembled with new grease. Feels smooth and accurate.

So we progress peoples. Once again time will tell if the replacement bearing is a good fit. In the meantime Moby is quieter than ever and I think a bit quicker to get up off his knees.

All good so far.

Cheers, Pottsy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Split collet bearing extractor-roller-bearings.jpg  
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

Quote Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
    Just remember that small kids have really small hands for getting small stuff into really small places.

Cheers,

Ken W
    Particularly when they are posting all your special 2-part monobolt rivets down that really small knot hole in the shed floor and there's only 100mm of clearance to the dirt underneath. Don't ask.

SF

Thread Information